It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panetta: Cyber Threat is at a Pre 9/11 Moment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

security.blogs.cnn.com

The United States must beef up its cyber defenses or suffer as it did on September 11, 2001 for failing to see the warning signs ahead of that devastating terrorist attack, the Secretary of Defense told a group of business leaders in New York Thursday night.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
security.blogs.cnn.com
www.nytimes.com
www.dailycamera.com
usnews.nbcnews.com

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Well thats not the greatest thing in the world to read, you have on one hand, the defense Secretary telling us we are pre 9/11, on the other hand you have mainstream media plastering it on every front page...

As well as the comments that "The U.S. knows the culprits of all the recent attacks, but chooses not divulge who the responsible parties were.

and then..

after reading this article just a few hours ago..

www.dailycamera.com...
( i would just like to add that this particular article citing Panetta who within blames Iran for the worst cyber attack on the private sector, EVER, regarding the recent attacks on oil companies. A pretty big accusation! )

and this NYT times article claiming a "Cyber Pearl Harbor"..

www.nytimes.com...

And these aren't the only ones, MSM has a long list to pick of recent Panetta comments regarding cyber security.

So along with this meeting Panetta was having with "Business Leaders", could a cyber attack ( regardless of who is responsible ) be on the horizon?

I have been here a few years ATS lurking and a little over a year posting, not nearly as much as some of you, but is this something to look out for?

security.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-10-2012 by POPtheKlEEN89 because: **spelling

edit on 13-10-2012 by POPtheKlEEN89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Excuse to take away our interweb rights.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by POPtheKlEEN89

Well thats a good thing isnt it?
1. At that time, 9/11 had nothing to do with cyberterrorism
2. There were no disasteroud world ending attacks around that time.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
These things are going to become more common, because they are excuses for implementing monitoring and control of the Internet so that it will be illegal to be anonymous.

Its ironic that the hacker group Anonymous are actually part of making it harder to be anonomous on the web.

Maybe you have noticed how much attention the false flag attacks are getting on the Internet. When future kids grow up, they will use the Internet to learn much about what is going on, and naturally, the powers that be would want to control the flow of information on the Internet so the kids have to get their information from the controlled mass media instead.

If they are going to control it, they have to make it possible to find people who post sensitive information, as well as having control over large sites such as google and youtube.

Some excuses for the monitoring and control that will be used include:

- Protecting you from cyber criminals who steal your money
- Protecting you from identify theft (someone posts in your name on the Internet so employers can see it)
- Protecting you from being hacked (monitoring allows police to see what occured, similar to the excuse used to have cameras all over society)

You get the picture. It will always be sold as protecting you. And thats why they are going to scare you first so you think you need it.

Its always the same methods and it still works, to my amazement.

CNN and the other mainstream news channels have military psychological operations staff employed to filter and manipulate the news, insert false stories, and so on, since around 1997. Lots of documentaries about that if you are interested. Its called Perception Management.

Edit: I got a private message about what documentary I was talking about here, so Im updating this post with a link to it. Its called "Psywar". It covers some of what is described in these articles and more.

www.counterpunch.org...
www.wnd.com...

edit on 13-10-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Pre 9/11 Moment = False Flag Preparation

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I feel sorry for these old time US elite, the Internet totally put a spanner in their plans.

Information is freely available to everyone on the planet, good info, bad info.. any info. If anyone wants to look into something they can and that makes things difficult.

but, there is a threat i rekn, not just from the Chinese but also from some rogue, pi55ed of hacker!
Imagine if James Holmes had the skills of Gary McKinnon.. could the big big red button, became a keyboard stroke?

If its a Maniac wanting to let missiles fly, a modern day robin hood looking to do bad on the large corporations or some Chinese operation to shut down the power grid... you cant deny there is a wide open window for an attack.

The freedom of information we enjoy just happens to be the highway with which this threat rides on..

luckily for us the internet cant be shutdown!

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Self-fulfilling Government action..

Self-sustaining Government FUD..

Self-replicating Government seeded extremism..

Cyber provides the perfect spectrum for politicians to screw up.

- Government continued to expand intellectual property laws instead of promoting competition and innovation. This intelectual property "obesity" created the environment where "CHINA CHINA CHINA!" Cyber espionage is the excuse for everything. That perception, strongly seeded by Government, reinforced the losing proposition that ~Government~ must be the Cyber solution. Reduces freedom and innovation.

- Government, Russia and US, continued to escalate Cyber out of the crime and espionage rings to direct geopolitical infrastructure attacks knowing full well that their own infrastructures had "more to lose" than anyone else in sheer panic. Not even in kinetic damage - the ~panic~ is what they really want.

- Government wants to create Nation-State Intranets for themselves while simultaneously criticizing other Governments (e.g. China, Iran) who do the same thing. This causes other lesser-developed Governments to believe they have to do the same thing, allowing emerging markets like those in East Africa to fall into technology control regimes that are then easier for radical Islamists or others to seed MORE extremism. Thus making sue the cycle from Cyber to "legacy" terror threats can feed off each other.

Etc. etc. etc.

This environment is a closed-cycle masterpiece of Government FUD..

There is time to stop the momentum of this shift but the Security professionals are so enriched as a byproduct they're entirely too comfortable to care.

The "Maker" culture is what will save us from ourselves this cycle of stupidity - bring out the engineer in all of our kids, let them compete and solve in the most agile and local ways feasible, ..

Cyber fears are greatly exaggerated today but at the pace we stupidly reinforce the fear, it might not be too far off in the future. Way to go Government! *headdesk* -Mags

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
taking away rights sometimes isn't a bad thing if it wakes people up to the fact they actually had them to begin with

oh and yes, these multi billion dollar corps should have better security for der websites.. i read on a hax0r forum about someone getting admin access (they provided screenshots) to some oil companies website and being able all transactions made just by using sql injection that you can find as an example how *not* to get hacked on goog

edit on 13-10-2012 by christoph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I do worry that if we keep bombing people "back into the stone age" a small group of teenage kids in some far away land is going to start turning off our power stations.

I work as a developer and the techniques used to compromise most large business websites are scarily easy to pull off.

SQL injection was a massive eye opener for me (wiki link).

Lots of development tools protect against these kinds of attacks, however, loads of corporate websites have cobbled together PHP-based public facing websites that are directly connected to their "private" corporate networks. There are numerous other techniques that anyone with a modicum of programming knowledge can pull off to compromise these networks if they're that way inclined.

edit on 13/10/12 by eightfold because: speeling erorrs

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by eightfold

I have been thinking about the same thing, i remember in ninth grade me and my friends were really into pulling pranks on people through their computers by sending them random error messages or turning their monitors off, opening their disk drive etc.. And i had one friend who taught all of this to us and gave us the program, and what amazed me was that he was still in middle school and a year younger, and he figured all of this out through the internet, flash forward ten years later, i wonder whats really going on right underneath our noses!

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Insurrection

Good points, so the possible emergence of a new worldwide internet structure, instead of shutdown they go the route of total control instead..pretty ominous..

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
China builds our technology.... and china knows the back door secrets into it as well... DUhh it cant be stopped

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Exactly! whats truly scary to me is the fact we all know they would love to have total and free reign of the internet as they do TV, with a few major players owning the entire space divvying out what they feel is good for business rather than whats good for us..Now to see steps to carry it out is like reading a fiction book and watching it come to life before your eyes!

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Good point, i remember reading a book about that in high-school, more effective than poisoning us! Gotta find the name of that book...

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightfold
I do worry that if we keep bombing people "back into the stone age" a small group of teenage kids in some far away land is going to start turning off our power stations.

Think smaller - it's actually a general rule that hitting the "bigger" systems would be easier to respond to as well. Fundamentally, beside the panic, the response would be the same as in bad rolling blackouts, bad storms, etc. and people live through those every year just fine. Even in the hotest or coldest times of year it's still a panic situation as opposed to mass casualties.

On the other hand, should an adversary decide to go that route, the smart ones would go for a major hospital's HVAC. Something a bit more specific so they can plan a more pervasive outage and likely combine it with a kinetic effect they can back "on the ground" with just one or two people should it be needed.

Originally posted by Jordan River
China builds our technology.... and china knows the back door secrets into it as well... DUhh it cant be stopped

That's a highly overstated risk and entirely unnecessary when the existing state of hardware supply chain security and software security doesn't even require the investment of staged backdoors. China itself is also the worst example of an adversary for every but Congress. The really good players in this space are still Russia, Japan, France, and Israel. Emerging Brazil is getting better too.

The irony in all of this Cyber espionage and sometimes FUD is that China is quickly becoming the most attractive ~target~ as well. That's for another thread..

Regardless - for me the realities, however grim, are nothing compared to the Statist controls that keep coming down the pipeline. This idea that information "wants" to be Free and the Internet will always be free is completely bunk. That's a Western sensibility only applicable for the "haves" - this could create a whole lot more "have nots" to exercise continued control over, false flags, etc. -Mags

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The attackers will hit a power grid and. , no one will be able to pump gas , bank, or pay with credit cards to buy food or anything! ....I say, keep cash on you and the car filled up! .....It's not "IF" this will happen.....it's "WHEN" ?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
"A Pre-9/11 Moment"

Lets imagine the real pre 9/11 moment when Bush sat in that classroom practicing his surprised face.

Internet freedom doesn't have long to go, it has been useful for destabilizing the middle east but not good for controlling the public and concealing a government's lies. Islamic extremists are very unsophisticated (unless helped) The scenarios below could only be caused by a government with Stuxnet-level knowledge.

If you think about it, it is the perfect false flag.. No witnesses to contradict the official story.. This act of cyber terrorism will be used to impose control of the internet.

"The Defense Secretary also appeared to declassify some new information, warning that intruders infiltrated computer control systems that “operate chemical, electricity and water plants and those that guide transportation throughout the country.” It’s not clear who was behind this attack.
Panetta expressed concern that an “aggressor nation or extremist group” could deploy cyber weapons to derail passenger trains, contaminate the water supply, shut down the power grid or amplify a physical attack.
Panetta also specifically addressed the denial of service (DDoS) cyber attacks of recent weeks on major lenders like J.P. Morgan Chase (JPM) and U.S. Bancorp (USB)."

Read more: www.foxbusiness.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Stop buying and trading with communist china, America got along fine when china was a cold war enemy, now all china does is steals American jobs and technology but still builds its military like its ready to take America on.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I have a friend that works at a power company in the Carolina's and it runs the grid for a few states. They just got the red flag someone is trying to hack their system...so..keep cash on you, and your car filled with gas.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join