It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois Man Charged in Oklahoma Plot to Bomb Churches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Gregory Arthur Weiler II told his friends and relatives that he had had issues for years with religion. On Monday, Weiler was being held without bail in Oklahoma on terrorism charges stemming from what authorities say was a plot to blow up dozens of churches with Molotov cocktails.

According to court documents quoted by the newspaper, Weiler was arrested after police found bomb-making equipment in a garbage can at a motel. Entering Weiler’s motel room, police found dozens of empty beer bottles made into Molotov cocktails, along with a torn-up page that had handwritten instructions for making the bombs. The document had a hand-drawn map of 48 local churches, and plans to make more bombs, according to the affidavit.

Officials said Weiler planned to videotape the explosions. A journal discovered in his motel room laid out plans to destroy churches across the U.S. “Self-Promote for the next 4 years while beginning list of goals written in Oklahoma having to do with destroying and removing church buildings from U.S., a tiny bit at a time -- setting foundation for the years to follow,” one journal entry says.

LA Times

I checked and didn't see this posted yet. I am surprised that I am just now hearing about it, as it happened a few days ago just north of here. Our church could very well have been on that list and we would have been none the wiser until the fire bomb hit.

I am so greatful that the hotel employees called the cops on this one or it could have ended very differently. I know that not everyone here is a big fan of cops, but I believe that they did an awesome job in stopping this guy from carrying out all of his plans.

They also bring up his facebook posts that the family had taken note of. I don't know why one of his relatives didn't call about him when they saw the stuff he was posting. I know there was the big hoopla about the marine recently, but if someone is known to be mentally ill and is writing crazy posts, it may not be such a bad thing for the authorities to check up on them.

~OkieDokie

edit on 12-10-2012 by OkieDokie because: link

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
1st. You don't blow up 48 buildings with Molotov Cocktails...

2nd. He needed instructions on how to make Molotov Cocktails?

Doesn't sound like much of a threat at all.

Peace

edit on 12-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
In before countless ATS members condone his plans.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Very true. The video went into more detail about the guy. He is a heroin addict, an alcoholic, has been treated several times for mental illness, and recently joined a cult. To say he isn't the brightest crayon in the box would be an understatement.

Here in Ok, they don't mess around with folks after what we lived through with the bombing. They have labeled him a terrorist, and are treating him as such. While any sane person knows you cannot blow up a church with a molotov cocktail, his intent was to do some real damage to some churches.

~OkieDokie
edit on 12-10-2012 by OkieDokie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
so now its time to make bottles and flameable liquid illegal so there will never be a threat of this again

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

You don't happen to work for the TSA do you?

It seems like that reasoning is perfectly logical to some folks. Sad really.

~OkieDokie

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by OkieDokie

i was making a jab at gun control nuts, they really blow my mind.

new topics

top topics

join