It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you noticed?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Good observation, OP. And I recognized you were simply "noticing" and not complaining as your title suggests. So, here's what I've noticed:

I am guilty of being lazy sometimes and opting to order take out or fast food on days when I don't feel like cooking or preparing anything. I have noticed that whenever I used to go to a place that is clearly raking in money that they have traditionally thrown in extra napkins, straws, condiment packages etc without even being prompted for it. One time the manager asked me if I was waiting for my order and gave me a free apple pie while I waited. I wasn't even complaining or anything of the sort..just waiting patiently, nonchalantly.

Now, that is not at all how it is the last few times I've gone in there (which, I'd say is only 2-3 times a month.) I now notice signs saying "we must charge an extra $0.25 for additional condiments." And also I notice signs on pretty much everything. For example, the napkin dispensers will say, "take only what you need."

So, yes, I have noticed it too. And like the OP I am not complaining, but simply noticing something I've never seen before in my lifetime.

It's just to bilk out more for less. It doesn't surprise me at all. I've worked in retail and grocery. I know all the tricks. I even went through the stockroom of a grocery store on the way to the customer restroom, while passing the employee break room area. I saw a sign that said something like, "Don't be wasteful! Remember that each plastic bag costs us $0.01!"

So, managers definitely scrimp too. They're trying to save every penny on plastic bags and napkins that they can...which, isn't a bad thing. But, it's not exactly necessary on all fronts either.

I worked with a retail manager who refused to order a vacuum cleaner from the company. He refused to order a lot of basic cleaning supplies as well. Now, bear in mind that he is completely entitled to order these things from the company. He just didn't want to because he wanted to create the illusion that he was saving the company bundles of money. So, when our dust mop/ broom broke, he still refused to order a new one. I had to take some thumbtacks from the bulletin board and hammer them into place to secure the dust mop to the wooden handle (my idea, not his). It worked great! No complaints.

So, that just makes me wonder what we're dealing with: cost-cutting ingenuity? or greed of the highest degree? I'm sorry that I don't have an answer, but I have definitely noticed the scrimping not only on goods, but things like customer service etc.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I have noticed this in the last few years. I wish I could remember ALL the products
that annoyed me at the time, but I can't.. there are so many to list.
The one that does
stand out for me is frozen packaged cavatelli or tortellini or raviolis which we always
have on Sunday what used to be a 16 ounce bag is now down to 13 ounces and sporting
a higher price tag too! Instead of buying 3 bags I need to buy 5 or 6 depending on how many family members are here.
Now about the sugar in the 5lb bag you should call Weights and Measure and report the company who sells this
sugar because they will pull the product and give the manufacturers a hefty fine.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Why is this important for us to know?

There are far bigger issues with this country than a lack of napkins on table.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I think it's important to notice because there are many out there who refuse to acknowledge that the country is in trouble. If cost trickles down to everyday things, maybe some will wake up and ask why. Some have trouble seeing the big picture that you allude to and need to see the local picture to realize there are problems radiating outwards.

also, about the sugar, the weight was noted on the packaging, it was just a surprise that the standard size was reduced while the price stayed the same. I don't think of it as a rip-off so much as a wth moment.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join