Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Let's talk about unemployment

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
So I was reading the thread that talks about the last UE numbers being a lie and I responded about U3 and U6, but I got to thinking about it and then I came across this article that talks about the very things I was thinking about. I did a quick search and didn't see anything posted about it, so excuse me if someone already posted something.

An Economy of Illusions

According to the BLS, “In September, 2.5 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force.” These people “wanted and were available for work,” but “they were not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey.”

So the BLS’s official unemployment rate simply ignores 2.5 million unemployed Americans. I suppose that is more humane than conscripting them into work brigades or “disappearing” them into FEMA camps, but it’s still dishonest.

Stock prices predictably soared in reaction to the phony good news, providing further evidence that Wall Street has become totally decoupled from the real economy.

For a more accurate rendering of economic conditions in the country, one should look at the statistics showing a dramatic increase in involuntary part-time workers (600,000) and a concentration in low-paid service jobs. Manufacturing also continued its demise, shedding some 16,000 jobs in September.

The United States is rapidly becoming a nation of the underemployed, barely scraping by and desperate for part-time work in order to make their ends meet. This is the face of the “new economy.”

And to make matters worse for the beleaguered American worker, inflation appears to be rearing its ugly head once again. The consumer price index (CPI) increased 0.6 percent in August, thus raising the specter of stagflation (simultaneous high unemployment and price inflation).

The Obama White House is certainly not the first administration to fudge numbers in order to paint a false picture of prosperity. Republican and Democratic administrations have been underreporting the unemployment and inflation rates for decades.

According to John Williams of Shadowstats, the current real unemployment rate is around 22 percent, while real annual inflation is above 10 percent. Those numbers are indicative of an inflationary depression; so it’s understandable that incumbent politicians would favor the BLS’s rosy report over grim reality.

Tens of millions of Americans recently tuned in to watch Barack Obama and Mitt Romney face off in a debate over the state of the US economy.

While the candidates exchanged accusations and talking points, neither mentioned the Federal Reserve, QE3, Uncle Sam’s $220 trillion in unfunded liabilities, the crisis in the eurozone, nor the impending collapse of the U.S. dollar as the world’s reserve currency.

All of those are critical economic issues, and how they are resolved will have an enormous impact on the lives of every American. But they received nary a mention during the hour-and-a-half debate about the economy.

The ugly truth is the system is busted, and voting for Romney or Obama isn’t going to make any difference at all. Neither man has the courage, understanding, or wisdom to implement the radical changes that are necessary to right the ship of state.

This is only half of the article, the second half goes into the Fed and how it is contributing to this mess. Everyone should really click the link to read the full article. Our economy is going to collapse soon and neither of the two candidates are going to do anything to stop it. Heck by all appearances they are helping to contribute to the mess by hiding key facts.

Here is a quick link to the BLS's definitions of the U1-U6 as well as what each rate is currently at. U3 is what is always reported on the news.
Unemployment rates

It's so easy to report a decrease in unemployment when all you have to do is wait until many of them are discouraged and stop looking for work then you get a nice decrease in the unemployment rate and a talking point for the election. Nevermind the fact that there is another rate that the BLS reports that is almost double what is reported on the financial news. And U6 doesn't take into account everything either. The article spells it out nicely and says that real unemployment is probably around 22%. When the gap between the reported unemployment and the real unemployment gets to be so large, people need to start taking notice. The Fed thinks it can fix this with QE3, that's more kool-aid that they are giving out to the public to ease their fears. Heck most people are just unconcerned. I was sitting around talking to a few of my classmates yesterday and we were talking about the issues in Spain and Greece. Talk got around to our economy and I brought up QE3 and how it is going to lead to our financial collapse. Now only did they not believe me, they didn't even know what QE3 is. This is why tptb can get away with this nonsense, no one cares enough to really learn what is truly going on in their country.

I see so many threads from left wingers denouncing actions or words that Romney said or right wingers denouncing actions or words that Obama said, how about waking up and realizing that neither of them are the answer to our problems? We need to really wake up and retake our country from these greedy sobs, dismantle the Fed and start making real positive changes to fix our country. Or we could just sit back and wait for the collapse and hope to rebuild.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Well done OP!!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I thought was common knowledge among ATS'ers
hmm guess not
S&F for spreading the word

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Yeah its pretty bad, i can't believe i was one of the people who said you can always get a job if you work at it.
While that may be true that period of time has seem to increased by months. I recently got laid off and i can't find a job, been 2 months :/ and off course i moved to a whole another state for this job. Baltimore was not worth the move on its own lol

Listening to politicians talk about this subject makes my blood boil.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

I feel you. I live in Baltimore myself and its so tough even to find a part time job while im going to college. And I have military experience. I remember right before I got out of the army everyone said id have a leg up, couldn't be further from the truth.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The unemployment numbers are just another gigantic lie to make us believe that the sky isn't falling. I was listening to the reporting on this the other day, in which some mainstream media talking head went on about the jobless number going down, and the number of jobs added going up....but then had to add, after three minutes of crowing about the "good news", that the vast majority of jobs added were part-time, minimum wage jobs. McJobs, in other words.

It goes without saying that any numbers reported by the government and disseminated by the MSM are fudged. They under-report the bad news, and over-report whatever good there is.

We're going down the drain, and, I believe, hyperinflation is just around the corner. You cannot put a bunch more dollars into circulation and not expect the value to go down. Combine that with wages that have remained stagnant for decades, and you have the perfect recipe for disaster.

But not until after the election. God forbid that people see the evil machinations behind the curtain before they cast their vote.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t
...We need to really wake up and retake our country from these greedy sobs, dismantle the Fed and start making real positive changes to fix our country. Or we could just sit back and wait for the collapse and hope to rebuild.

So - which will it be?
I, personally, believe that if there is a collapse...it will already have been prepared-for...and "we" won't be allowed to do a thing...except - "Accept your new totalitarian society"...or "say bye bye".
So - I don't believe the two options are valid.
On the other hand - WHO is going to wake up and retake the country?
WHO will they take it from? (If we start with "greedy sobs" - there won't be many left - IMO)
If WE dismantle the Fed...WHAT will it be replaced with?
By whom?
How long will that take?
Will the society dissolve into total anarchy...until WHOMEVER steps up with The Ready-Made Solution?
Have you ever considered that - If You were the one to lead this revolution...and...You won...You...would then (in all likelihood) become the next generation of "greedy sobs"?
I consider all of these questions "pertinent" to your statement and sentiment... They are not intended as a slam.
Thanks for your thoughts on the issue/s.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Bad situation, yes.
And still we elect (some of) the people in power.
Can't help but wonder if there are people (in power) who want us to draw the conclusion democracy don't work. Just how do the IQ-idiots explain all this?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Yes its true that the past is filled with people rising up and overthrowing their government only to replace it with a worse one. France comes to mind here when they had the French Revolution. Unfortunately I don't have the answers to your questions. I consider myself an intelligent individual, but I also know my limitations. I don't think I could lead an uprising nor doo I think I would be a good candidate to lead once it is finished. However I read news lime I see in the op and it infuriates me that we are letting these guys get away with the things they are doing. We keep buying what they are selling even though we are well aware that they are selling a crappy product. Heck even the common person on the street knows that politcians are notoriously corrupt and pathological liars. Yet instead of doing anything, we accept it and even make jokes about it. I mean in our eyes its ok that the politicians lie to you as long as the lies they tell are things you want to hear. If I went to the doctor's office to get cancer screen and after the results are in and I have cancer, I'd be awful upset with him if he lied to me and said that I was fine because thats what I wanted to hear.

The system needs a huge overhaul. There are plenty of smart and capable people out there who can fix this country. We just need to find them. Take Ron Paul. He was looking like a huge breath of fresh air to what we were getting, but the majority of the country bought into the propoganda that the elite put out and he washed out of the elections. Now I'm not a Paul fanatic, I understand he'd have faults and most likely wouldn't turn the country around overnight. But its a start in the right direction.

Now I'm a realist I know that power is corrupting that being how we got into this mess. But if we can find the right people who have the moral fortitude to resist the temptations of the rich, we can really start trying to fix things. The first thing that needs to be done is to arrest the rich people who got us into this mess and NOT treat them special in the courtroom. Treat them like some common thug and let them see how it feels to be in our position.

If we sit back and do nothing, the system WILL fall apart and I can guarentee that these guys are ready for that to happen. They have the appropriate systems readyy to implement once it happens and they will become more untouchable than ever before.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t
Yes its true that the past is filled with people rising up and overthrowing their government only to replace it with a worse one. France comes to mind here when they had the French Revolution. Unfortunately I don't have the answers to your questions. I consider myself an intelligent individual, but I also know my limitations. I don't think I could lead an uprising nor doo I think I would be a good candidate to lead once it is finished. However I read news lime I see in the op and it infuriates me that we are letting these guys get away with the things they are doing. We keep buying what they are selling even though we are well aware that they are selling a crappy product. Heck even the common person on the street knows that politcians are notoriously corrupt and pathological liars. Yet instead of doing anything, we accept it and even make jokes about it. I mean in our eyes its ok that the politicians lie to you as long as the lies they tell are things you want to hear. If I went to the doctor's office to get cancer screen and after the results are in and I have cancer, I'd be awful upset with him if he lied to me and said that I was fine because thats what I wanted to hear.

The system needs a huge overhaul. There are plenty of smart and capable people out there who can fix this country. We just need to find them. Take Ron Paul. He was looking like a huge breath of fresh air to what we were getting, but the majority of the country bought into the propoganda that the elite put out and he washed out of the elections. Now I'm not a Paul fanatic, I understand he'd have faults and most likely wouldn't turn the country around overnight. But its a start in the right direction.

Now I'm a realist I know that power is corrupting that being how we got into this mess. But if we can find the right people who have the moral fortitude to resist the temptations of the rich, we can really start trying to fix things. The first thing that needs to be done is to arrest the rich people who got us into this mess and NOT treat them special in the courtroom. Treat them like some common thug and let them see how it feels to be in our position.

If we sit back and do nothing, the system WILL fall apart and I can guarentee that these guys are ready for that to happen. They have the appropriate systems readyy to implement once it happens and they will become more untouchable than ever before.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.
Perhaps the saddest insight I have into the situation is - We got what we deserved. For greater clarity - "that is my opinion".
When I look around at all that surrounds me...I don't see the streets, businesses, religious institutions or educational/scientific establishment being any more honorable, or filled with an "acceptable" integrity, than what fills the seats of our government.
It's more like - "Who needs a mirror? Just look at your government..."
As sad - virtually every participating member of ATS agrees that "things are out of whack"...but that's about as far as the agreement goes. So - while you and I may agree that Ron Paul might have been the kind of someone who could get us going in the right (a better) direction, we can't even come to an overall consensus from the other "tin foil heads" on that.
Being from Texas, I was raised a Dallas Cowboys fan. My devotion has waned through the decades...but, I'm still a fan...and fall in lock-step with all the other 'Cowboys fans...when they score a touchdown...or...when they win a game... And - I grumble and complain...just like all the other 'Cowboys fans, when they're losing (as they did, yesterday)... And just as we have problems with our politico-economic environment in the USofA...and cannot ALL agree on which way things should be moving, for a better future - 'Cowboys fans can't agree on "what" should be done, to get their team back "on top" (where they all know God wants the team to be - !
).
So - if you consider that - even the die-hard "Conspiracy Theorists", who ALL AGREE that there is a problem with "the government", "the monetary system", etc...are pulling in the absolute-opposite directions...with religiously zealous beliefs that their views are More/Most Correct...it doesn't give me much hope for the future I would choose to envision for my later years, or the next generations of my lineage.
And - when one comes to such a blithery conclusion/outlook...what do you do?
Just a few of my thoughts on the topic.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Yes everyone thinks something is wrong yet there is no organization or willingness to change anything. I for one would be ready to do something if the need arose, but for now I can only do small things like not vote for Obama or Romney.

I feel like we need to have major happen to this country and get a majority of our population out of their comfort zone. Unfortunately it'll probably be too late by then. I mean just look at the responses to this topic. You and I have been the only ones posting in it for the last few days yet the latest political gufaw that Obama or Romney did gets 4+ pages. Everyone already should know that both candidates are duds. Picking out their political blunders is like shooting fish in a barrel with a shotgun.

People should be getting outraged over the fact that they have been lieing to us for YEARS about the current unemployment. I remember sitting in my macro economics class a few semesters ago and learning about u3. I was baffled as to why this was considered an acceptable form of reporting unemployment. Now I get it. In a growing economy u3 and the other 5 reporting measure that they use should all be similar since as someone gets out of work they should become remployed easy, and in a stagnate economy the u3 number looks a lot better than how bad it really is. Because we all know that a politician's reputation is FAR more important than telling us the truth.

People should also be upset about qe3. We should be protesting this travesty. It's not even about if the economy will fall but when it will fall. So we are on a countdown to implosion yet the majority of Americans care more about zome scripted fight on American Travesty... erm I mean Idol. Well I guess we get to see that wakeup call sooner now.

I do want to say that I am kind of glad we live in this era because we are on the cusp of a new era for humanity whether it be good for us or bad. It will definitely be interesting to see.

P.s.: I live in Baltimore and am a Ravens fan. Tough break yesterday, you guys should have won that game. As bad as you guys played, we played even worse. It's quite surprising that we are on top of our division right now

new topics

top topics

join