It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl Sent to Federal Prison for a Year and a Half for Refusing to Testify

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Plante says a Freedom of Information Act request she filed in the months after her apartment door was broken down by armed officials reveals that the grand jury investigating her was first convened in March, two months before the vandalism she is being accused of even occurred.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It seems like every time I read about a story like this, the female suspect/perpetrator has the appearance of someone who is beautiful (inside and out) and knows it. Seems a little suspicious, no? Maybe they ignore similar stories for the sake of getting more attention this way.
edit on 12-10-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
It seems like every time I read about a story like this, the female suspect/perpetrator has the appearance of someone who is beautiful and knows it. Seems a little suspicious, no? Maybe they ignore all the others for the sake of getting more attention.
I would blame the media. They know a photo op when they see one. And of course the public responds predictably.

I just caught your edit, I see you are blaming the media

edit on 12-10-2012 by tanda7 because: edit4edit

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ilikestarz

What people here have missed. She was not even in town that day so she COULD NOT HAVE SEEN A CRIME BEING COMMITTED. Even the prosecutor admits to that. So what does that leave?

It leaves only one thing. She MIGHT have overheard some people talking about possibly doing something. For those of you who believe in spying on your friends and family as the government has requested you should know it can be used to make it a felony! If she heard someone joking about doing something that day it then becomes a conspiracy to commit a crime. Now we are talking jail time! Probably far more then just 18 months and a feather in the prosecutors hat, good for running for office. If you believe that she should be a party to putting people away for multiple years because she may or may not have heard them blowing off steam then I suggest you do as the government has requested and turn in your parents and children for anything you might hear them say. The government will even give you a cash reward for it.
A great way to get money for presents for Christmas and even better you get to keep the money because your relatives will be in jail!

It sounds stupid I know but that is what this country has turned into. As to the Contempt thing. Some courts need to be treated with contempt. The same as some police officers. Of course doing so might get you killed. As at least one person has said already with glee fresh meat! She stands a good chance of being raped or killed because she refuses to advance a prosecutors political ambitions by putting her friends in jail over probably a joking comment. I say joking because if the only thing that was done was vandalism to a door than they were never serious at the time of doing anything.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by memarf1

Well said; you are very persuasive; I understand better now; and cannot say I disagree.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
For this thread to continue, we need more pics of the girl

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
For this thread to continue, we need more pics of the girl

Here ya go.

From her blog; She enjoys kitties

About:
Leah very much enjoys, kitties, bike rides, vegan treats, letters, repartee, chamomile tea and solidarity. Sober, vegan, queer. She/her/hers.
She does not enjoy people or institutions who try to hurt her, her friends and her community. She also isn't a fan of cilantro.

(I don't like cilantro either)
edit on 12-10-2012 by tanda7 because: eta

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Looks like I'm gonna get me a new prison pen pal...hubba hubba

link   

Originally posted by tanda7

Plante says a Freedom of Information Act request she filed in the months after her apartment door was broken down by armed officials reveals that the grand jury investigating her was first convened in March, two months before the vandalism she is being accused of even occurred.

I suppose if we want to start from the position that her movement had absolutely no criminal action of any kind...and this is some warped witch hunt..we can. I won't play the revision of history game to try and suggest a Grand Jury would have absolutely no reason to look into the May Day events or the larger picture of unrest it all came out of.

Now this story has been on here before..back when those searches were first run and this case first came up. I recall being on that thread, tho I'm not going off to find it at the moment. There is more to it than just a stack of anti-gov flyers on a coffee table sparking a stack of search and arrest warrants...

But..Russia TV makes a professional habit of being VERY selective and agenda driven on their reporting when it's dealing with American Social issues... I can't blame them I guess... I'll bet Voice of America is no nicer in it's broadcasts of news into Russia. I'll bet Russia just has fewer who take VOA as 100% reliable and unbiased over there. People eat up RT here.

link   
Prison should only exist for extremely dangerous repeat offenders of violent crimes and rape. No one else and nothing natural on this earth that belongs to all the people either.

No one can be forced to give testimony. We're simply NOT OWNED.

Anything else is criminal and I don't support the system nor would I comply with it.

Wake up and demand her release and that changes are coming because you do not support anything being shoved at you in our society, and you aren't going to pay for their salaries or pensions any longer.

But it takes numbers to do this, so good newsletters and groups are needed in every community as well.
edit on 12-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I suppose if we want to start from the position that her movement had absolutely no criminal action of any kind...and this is some warped witch hunt..we can.

Funny you should put it that way.
In her own words;

“They are trying to investigate anarchists and persecute them for their beliefs. This is a fishing expedition. This is a witch hunt,”

But..Russia TV makes a professional habit of being VERY selective and agenda driven on their reporting when it's dealing with American Social issues...

No question about it. The article is certainly slanted. What's troubling is the fact that the grand jury has been made private. A move unprecedented since the McCarthy era. That and the fact that legal representation is not allowed during the questioning.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

I think I'm just going to back off this thread and take my leave a bit early.

We're coming from the concept that Occupy and the movement around it was 100% non-violent, non-criminal and this fresh faced young girl MUST be pure as the driven snow because she looks like everyone's next door neighbor.

Well.. B.S.. I watched on Live Stream for 3 months, almost nightly, what "non-criminal" activity was happening, nation wide. Not EVERY camp was violent. Not EVERY camp was criminal and not everyone on May Day out there was committing crimes that she's a part of the investigation for.

HOWEVER, if someone wants to even JOKE about that movement being without blame or criminal liability.....There is no base of intellectual honesty to even start from here. It's starting from a premise so provably false, it's bad to even joke on after all the nation watched.

She was given blanket immunity. SHE had ZERO chance of having anything whatsoever done to her. ZERO. ...until she violated the court by still refusing to testify. Good. She made her choice. She can now live with that choice. That's life and sometimes, Life is hard. Welcome to it.

* that last part about no lawyer just hit me... PLEASE do some research on how the system works..and I don't mean just you...It's a GRAND JURY, NOT A TRIAL. Lawyers ARE *NEVER ALLOWED* to be active and interfere with the proceedings of a Grand Jury and they can be thrown out if they don't get it. Really.....we're talking apples and oranges if people think Grand Jury has ANYTHING to do with a Trial and the Jury that sits in a court room preparing a verdict of guilty or not guilty. Night and Day different.

This has absolutely nothing remotely to do with a trial Jury. Same system...but that's about where the similarities come to a sudden halt.
edit on 12-10-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

maybe she should have said ( i have no recollection of that time ) it seems to work for for the big boys that are brought before the senate commitees .

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
It's called being in contempt of court... She's stupid, especially that she is getting immunity...

When you don't comply with an order of the court you get punished...

Speak up or get locked up... Too bad so sad...

She's gonna make some great fresh meat in jail!

Ah... why don't you go spontaneously combust somewhere.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

We agree more than you realize.
Some quotes from my thread.

I followed the links in the article and found this.

we attacked a Bank of America. One ATMs card slot was glued and screen smashed, and 3 windows of the bank smashed.

an Italian yuppie restaurant had several of its windows liberated.

we sabotaged a railway track north of New York City.

Glass etch cream was thrown all over the front windows of the Community Policing Centre

This was done in solidarity with Matt Duran and the other grand jury resistors

I'll be first to agree that there are crimes involved.
I go on to say;

I don't think they would set out to be dangerous to the public but when you sabotage things like rail lines there is always the possibility of an accident.

And yeah I know they don't allow lawyers but if they (the grand jury) changes the rules shouldn't that be the time to seek counsel?

Honestly I'm not heavily invested in my opinion of this whole affair. I just find it interesting.
Crime bad.
Justice good.
Transparency even better.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

007, baby....about a 9 on the inbred ingrate scale....be like us manly Texans....refuse to be a victim of this world....you're floundering at the moment, I'n intervene'n for you....I'll tell God to get ya smart....quick, cool

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
So we defend this girl for protecting those who destroyed private property why?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc
So we defend this girl for protecting those who destroyed private property why?

Well then they should just charge her with a crime.
Not lock her up for not talking.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrUncreated

Originally posted by Magnum007
It's called being in contempt of court... She's stupid, especially that she is getting immunity...

When you don't comply with an order of the court you get punished...

Speak up or get locked up... Too bad so sad...

She's gonna make some great fresh meat in jail!

Ah... why don't you go spontaneously combust somewhere.

Wow, what a great contribution to this thread... what a great rebuttal...

Thanks for making yourself look so great...

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
reply to post by Magnum007

007, baby....about a 9 on the inbred ingrate scale....be like us manly Texans....refuse to be a victim of this world....you're floundering at the moment, I'n intervene'n for you....I'll tell God to get ya smart....quick, cool

thanks! while you're at it, tell god (that voice in ur head) that I'm thankful for having been created by a brother and sister... his plan worked like it was supposed to!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join