It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOPA is back???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Note to Mods: Was not sure if it would be a political issue or a technology issue. Feel free to move to the correct forum if needed.

Not sure if anyone said something about this, but I came across this on Tumblr:

After historic Internet protests in January the SOPA anti-piracy bill was defeated. However, this week several reports have pointed to a rather unfortunate SOPA comeback. Not in Congress, but as a nasty cryptovirus that locks up people’s computers and accuses them of distributing copyright infringing files. Infected users can get their data back after a payment of $200 – at least, that’s what the virus makers promise.

SOPA comes back as virus

This is a really serious problem, since I know we are fond of sharing links here on ATS, so I'm just spreading the word for everyone to be on their guard.

The SOPA virus is so-called ransomware, meaning that it holds computers hostage and only promises to free data after victims hand over cash. People who are affected should of course ignore all the above. Searching online for “Stop Online Piracy Automatic Protection System Removal”” is a better option, there are plenty of ways to defeat the resurrected SOPA and get your data back.

Please get this to the front page so everyone can know of this threat!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

lol another ransom ware virus. I wonder just how many unfortunate people this will catch out. Of course if you dont pirate software or videos you should not fall for it. But as almost everyone does at one time or another its a pretty effective ploy.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
SOPA, or something like it, will keep popping up until it passes.
Kinda like gun control.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Just an update, my stepmom's computer just got locked down.

These guys are not kidding.
edit on 21-3-2013 by TheToastmanCometh because: stuff.

top topics

join