It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Rules for Meteorite Hunters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
www.blm.gov...

Purpose: This Instruction Memorandum (IM) establishes policy governing the collection of meteorites found on public lands.

www.space.com...

They are:

Casual collection of small quantities without a permit
Scientific and educational use by permit under the authority of the Antiquities Act
Commercial collection of meteorites through the issuance of land-use permits

"The policy recognizes that there is interest in collecting meteorites by hobbyists … but it also is recognition that there are science and commercial interests as well," Henry told SPACE.com.

"The bottom line is that no one has any rights to collect meteorites on federal lands for profit or for science without permission from the BLM in the form of a permit," Wooddell said. "Science and profit seekers are those affected the most. It was made apparent the BLM knows who many of them are. Time will tell how this works out."

Purpose: This Instruction Memorandum (IM) establishes policy governing the collection of meteorites found on public lands.

The actual official memo is in the first link.
The second link is some press comment on the news.

Please note :

Casually-collected meteorites are for personal use only, and may not be bartered or sold for commercial purposes.

Otherwise go and get yourself a permit.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Yep, another example of how Government is out of control… too many making money at this, tax man needs his cut also

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Afraid of free energy from meteorites is the only reason for more official lies.
Once the electrostatic forces are noticed on meteorites you will get further excommunicated.
Instead of getting lied to we get lawed to.
Law fixing is another Illuminati way of holding on to their lies.
Don't do Tesla spark gaps they have nothing to do with free energy.
The Tesla Spark Gap Ships go 300 miles per second but pay no attention.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I saw a guy on youtube who's entire carreer is finding these in the desert.

He sells them himself on his website.

Guess he'll be in the unemployment line now..

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
How are they going to prove that I fond my meteorite on Federal property? It would be kind of hard to do.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
How are they going to prove that I fond my meteorite on Federal property? It would be kind of hard to do.

Not as hard as you may think.

The vast majority of meteorites are the result of a meteoroid/asteroid breaking up at high altitude. If the "strewn field" (area where meteorites have fallen) created is completely surrounded by federal property, then a meteorite from that original meteoroid/asteroid is almost certain to have been found on federal property.

That meteorite you have found will have the exact same chemical/isotopic composition (as unique as a fingerprint) as all it's brothers and sisters on federal property that you have not found.

So when you get your specimen analyzed, it will be obvious that it came from a fall on federal property.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
And so it begins:

The Great Meteorite Black Market!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireballStorm

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Not as hard as you may think.

The vast majority of meteorites are the result of a meteoroid/asteroid breaking up at high altitude. If the "strewn field" (area where meteorites have fallen) created is completely surrounded by federal property, then a meteorite from that original meteoroid/asteroid is almost certain to have been found on federal property.

That meteorite you have found will have the exact same chemical/isotopic composition (as unique as a fingerprint) as all it's brothers and sisters on federal property that you have not found.

So when you get your specimen analyzed, it will be obvious that it came from a fall on federal property.

I say let them prove it. When they break up they can come down over many miles of area. There can easily be lots of pieces found on non federal land.

Pay no attention to the new rules in the link above. Here is John Phoenix's new rules, may they serve you well:

1) Track meteorite.
2) Find meteorite.
3) Be the first to grab meteorite.
4) Run like hell.
5) Make a nice YouTube video showing your new space rock and put it on AboveTopSecret.com

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by kryton

Why would he be unemployed? He makes a big profit, but now he'll have to give the BLM a cut of his profits, that's all (from OP blm link):

The applicant must pay an application fee, a purchase price based on either a unit price or a percentage of the fair market value of the removed material, and a reclamation fee as appropriate.
Now that makes me wonder what percentage of fair market value BLM is looking for. If it's 90%, then yes the guy may be screwed, but if it's 10%, I'm sure he can afford that much.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kryton

See if he can work out a deal with some private ranges out west, say New Mexico.
Here again the private sector rules, well I didn't check there has to be advantages in
sticking it to the government and the public in some arenas.

top topics

join