It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carlios Slim, world's richest man, gets richer supplying 'Obamaphones' to poor.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
One way or the other, we're paying for it. Whats next in the freebies and handouts? We keep referring to several countries as third world countries but we fail to look at our own. Poverty, Hunger, Homeless, Food Stamps, Crimes, Welfare.. etc etc.

A Mexican telecom mogul who holds the title of world's richest man, and one of President Obama's top donors are both getting even richer from the U.S. government program that supplies so-called "Obamaphones" to the poor.

Carlos Slim, who has an estimated net worth of $70 billion, owns a controlling stake in TracFone, which makes $10 per phone for each device it provides to poor Americans. The company, whose president and CEO is Frederick "F.J." Pollak, also makes money from extra minutes and data plans it sells to subscribers who get phones and service through the government's Lifeline program. The program, which began in the mid-1980s, has exploded in the past four years after being expanded from supplying landlines to the poor to providing cellular phones.

LINK

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
We definately need a new system without a doubt, a new order...at this point I am not even against thinking New World Order may jsut be a good thing. What can't be denied is the whole system from top down needs an overhaul. I don't know what that would be the new system, but this one is definately not working.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Hold on a second there...

...U.S. government program that supplies so-called "Obamaphones" to the poor....The program, which began in the mid-1980s...

So a program that originated under Reagan is attributed to Obama because...? Something, something about cellular phones...the cell phone program that started in 2008, prior to the current Obama administration. Yet, it's still an 'Obamaphone.'

Besides the flat-out wrong origin of the government program, what company hasn't gotten rich from supplying cell phones?
edit on 12-10-2012 by links234 because: Spelling.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I tried to warn people about Carlos Slim and his involvement in Telecom (among other things), but this thread didn't get much attention.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's obvious that this has been in the works for some time now. It apparent that he and Bill Clinton are really good friends.
I guess it's better late than never that this gets out, but what can we do about it now?
Is this the beginning of the North American Union?
edit on 12-10-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
where is that asteroid when we really need it
the wait alone might kill me
Carlos.. i dont like you

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

You tell me and enlighten me. Which company specifically are you referring to ? I surely do not wish to freakin contribute few dollars a month just so some low life can enjoy free cell phone service at my cost. What is this? A Charity State? Are we going backwards in standards compared to a third world country?

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The phones are from the "Lifeline" program", began in 1984 under Ronald Reagan. The rationale then was "telephone service provides a vital link to emergency services, government services and surrounding communities."

But don't tell the right-wing media circus, their too busy doltishly blaming a program that's been in existence for 28 years on Obama. Originally (in 1984) the program provided a landline for poverty households, then switched to cell phones in 1996.

So OP, I re-worded your thread title to make it factually correct:

Carlios Slim, world's richest man, gets richer supplying 'REAGANphones' to poor.

Does it still piss you off? Or is this only an issue when you can blame it on Obama?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
People also tend to forget that one of the reasons this programs exist is to help people in the process of finding a job get one. The program is not giving out iphone 5's either it is a basic phone that can dial out and receive calls on a prepaid basis.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Ignoring your insulting rhetoric against the poor and the needy I'll try and answer your question. In that specific post I was referring to the cell phone market in general being very lucrative. More generally however, you do contribute every month to what you call 'low-lifes' through the Universal Service Fund. Go ahead and pick up your last phone bill, cellular or otherwise. You're being deducted X amount of dollars to contribute to the phone program described throughout this thread.

You can read more about this program at lifeline.gov

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

Ofcourse I'm aware about the deductions on the phone bill. The insult was directed at the lady in the video that has been surfacing. I didn't mean to generalize evryone. Let the phone companies provide the equipment and services free of cost to the needies for a hefty tax break. Make that a law to not pass the buck down to the consumers to recover the cost of USF. Why screw around with middle class and make them pay money?
edit on 15-10-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-10-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Isn't this a website where we are supposed to get accurate information?

So why is this Obamaphone meme so strong here?

It has been pointed out 3-4 times in this very thread that Obama had nothing to do with these programs, yet the right wing clings to one crazy lady in a youtube video calling it an "obamaphone".

Seriously, how intellectually dishonest does one have to be to try to push this BS?

new topics

top topics

join