It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asian Seafood Raised on Pig Feces Approved for U.S. Consumers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This is just disgusting. More and more I'm thinking that Indian
gentleman who only drinks water and gets his food from the sun
may be on to something. It's getting downright dangerous to eat
food.

At Chen Qiang’s tilapia farm in Yangjiang city in China’s Guangdong province, which borders Hong Kong, Chen feeds fish partly with feces from hundreds of pigs and geese. That practice is dangerous for American consumers, says Michael Doyle, director of the University of Georgia’s Center for Food Safety. “The manure the Chinese use to feed fish is frequently contaminated with microbes like salmonella,” says Doyle, who has studied foodborne diseases in China.

About 27 percent of the seafood Americans eat comes from China -- and the shipments that the FDA checks are frequently contaminated, the FDA has found. The agency inspects only about 2.7 percent of imported food. Of that, FDA inspectors have rejected 1,380 loads of seafood from Vietnam since 2007 for filth and salmonella, including 81 from Ngoc Sinh, agency records show. The FDA has rejected 820 Chinese seafood shipments since 2007, including 187 that contained tilapia.

Bloombergs

Myself I didn't know we imported so much seafood from China
and Viet Nam. When I go out to dinner and want an entree that
includes shrimp, I always ask where they get it because I was
concerned about it coming from the Gulf of Mexico. Looks like
the Gulf is not the only concern when it comes to seafood since
the FDA only inspects 2.7% of imported food. How
much tainted food actually gets through?

edit on 12-10-2012 by orbitbaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

What do you think creatures like crabs, shrimp and lobsters eat?
They are bottom feeding fish poop eaters.

So for all of you guys eating cockroach of the sea with a nice garlic butter. This fish should taste just as good.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Just because you don't like pig feces doesn't mean invertebrates don't. I have full trust in their evolution-honed biology to turn pig feces into tasty seafood.

I don't trust China anywhere near as much though. They have a well earned reputation for dangerous corner cutting
edit on 12-10-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I wouldnt worry too much about it,theres a whole lot worse goes on in the food industry thats for sure.This pales in comparison to many of the practices which are legal in the US.In the US dead fish from fish farms are collected from feeding pools,frozen,dried ground down and made into feeding pellets which are fed back to the fish which causes high levels of dioxins to build up in the fish over time,this is far worse in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This is the food chain.

Something small it's # then something slightly larger its it then we eat that larger thing.

It's be nice if we could just go ahead and eat the # and skip the middle men.

Think of how easy it would be if human could just eat grass and poo and drink filthy water. Save a ton of money and time. But we're all fragile and have to watch what we consume lest we suffer an explosive diarrhea death.

A person and a dog lost in nowhere and that person will starve before the dog. Unless that person eats the dog.

I wonder if there's some way to sterilize # and press it into a nutritional bar. It already has nuts.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Did you forget that this kind of stuff is also smothered over the ground your lovely fresh veggies grow in. It is a great fertiliser. We don't like eating poo but mother nature loves it!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I understand that animals that humans eat, sometimes eat some pretty
nasty things themselves. Things that would make most humans sick.
Maybe even die. Perhaps I focused too much on the pig feces in my post.
That is the title of the article so that is what I went with. The point is that
seafood from these countries is being improperly handled much of the time.
Right down to the tap water being used to make the ice to pack the fish in.
The FDA is only inspecting 2.7% of this seafood. These companies then
hire their own 3rd party auditors.

The food industry hires for-profit inspection companies -- known as third-party auditors -- who aren’t required by law to meet any federal standards and have no government supervision. Some of these monitors choose to follow guidelines from trade groups that include ConAgra Foods Inc. (CAG), Kraft Foods Inc. and Wal-Mart. The private inspectors that companies select often check only those areas their clients ask them to review. That means they can miss deadly pathogens lurking in places they never examined.

Source

I've had food poisoning myself and it was a terrible experience. I thought I was
going to die. 1 in 4 Americans get food poisoning every year. 3,000 die every year from it.
I realize some people will eat anything and don't think much about what they
put in their bodies. Which is why I think this article is important and why I posted it in the
first place.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I think this is just hyped up nonsense for a good story imo. Food will often be contaminated before it's cooked regardless of where it comes from. As long as it is stored properly post-shipment and cooked thoroughly then food poisoning won't be an issue (Unless it is past it's use by date). As I said before, manure is used as a fertiliser on most of our fresh fruit and veg yet it is still safe to eat as long as you wash it properly. This is because organisms convert what they consume into usable energy and excrete what they don't need.

A temperature of 70- 75C (160F) all the way through will ensure that salmonella and E.Coli are killed.

Foody scaremongering as far as I'm concerned. Could there be an agenda to this maybe?? Maybe herding Americans back into eating Shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico as it is better eating deformed oil laden shelfish than damaging the US fishing industry further?
edit on 12-10-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Can't be any worse than this stuff or maybe a bite or two from your favorite low-budget hot dog.

If more people knew where there food came from, obeisity would probably be nowhere near the current epidemic levels.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

What do you think creatures like crabs, shrimp and lobsters eat?
They are bottom feeding fish poop eaters.

So for all of you guys eating cockroach of the sea with a nice garlic butter. This fish should taste just as good.

For someone who obeys the dietary laws in scripture it makes a huge difference. Tilapia is not a bottom feeder, and they are concidered "clean meat", the reason they are clean, is because they are healthy for human consumption in their natural state, by feeding an animal something it should not consume, it alters the health of its flesh.

I would never eat lobster, crab, shrimp or catfish because God says they are not healthy for human consumption, due to their natural diet. Tilapia is supposed to be clean. That is why this is wrong.

If it were a shrimp or catfish farm, it would be a non-story, as feces are their natural diet by perfect design.

God Bless,

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I just read your source and it is accurate. But to be fair, the article starts out with the equally disgusting conditions in Vietnam.

No mo see phood I eat fomb Asia.

SnF

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
And you think eating chicken might be better for us? They spend their days perfectly happy picking the food particles out of other animal waste...pecking away (different of course on a managed farm)...

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Hate to break this to you guys but talapia has been raised like that for a decade now in most places of the world. Who said tilapia are clean fish they naturally live near the mouthes of rivers and close to shore where estuary and river runoff go. The pens they are kept in get all the third world sewage and crap that's heading out to sea that's been dumped in the river. I have always stayed away from talapia. You have to e careful where you get your fish from even when fishing. I cring whenever someone Take home a halibut to eat that they have just caught of the Venice pier in Los Angeles. Do they have any idea what garbage those halibut have been eating.
edit on 12-10-2012 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

There is some bacteria or virus that broke loose a while ago. Caused by pig feces and killed a lot of wild life.. I dont know what it was called. This sounds like a bad idea to me...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

WTF?

Honestly, I could give a monkey's rump about the debate last night but this....this is criminal.

Enough of demonizing two lame parties and their respective lame candidates who are essentially the same and serve the exact same corporate masters - the real issue is China.

It has been for 20 years but we've all been too lulled by abject consumerism and greed to really notice.

Well played China, well played.

Now, how do we stop this insanity?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Appears that some of you really need to learn where your food comes from.

top topics

join