It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Mars rover finds rock with Earth-like chemistry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com

When scientists selected a rock to test the Mars rover Curiosity's laser, they expected it to contain the same minerals as rocks found elsewhere on the Red Planet, but learned instead it was more similar to a rock found on Earth.

The rock was chemically more akin to an unusual type of rock found on oceanic islands like Hawaii and St. Helena, as well as in continental rift zones like the Rio Grande, which extends from Colorado to Chihuahua, Mexico.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.uk[ /url]
[url=http://www.google.bg/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=curiosity%20rover&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCQQqQIoADAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews% 2Fscience-environment-19923118&ei=ORd4UIiDO43RsgasuIGACA&usg=AFQjCNGJ_mA8lrE4rfzn-1bP2ciDbgCnrw]www.google.bg

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
So, more interesting data comes out leaning towards the theory Mars once had water... Wondering what else will Curiosity find during its mission on our red neighbour, so far it has proven a worthy mission for the cost paid. Some here may say "they" are slowly conditioning us towards the idea of life outside our nice planet - my opinion definitely differs and I will just leave it at that.

Looking forward to what more the little rover will reveal during its mission.

news.yahoo.com

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ch1n1t0

So, more interesting data comes out leaning towards the theory Mars once had water

Its not a theory that Mars once had water because we know for sure that it still has water now all be it frozen as far as we can tell.

edit on 12-10-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ch1n1t0

So, more interesting data comes out leaning towards the theory Mars once had water...

As I've stated in multiple threads, we already know Mars once had water, because its surface is covered in erosion.

Just wake me up when the damn thing finds aliens.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The rock is Volcanic in composition, correct. No surprise there... Now when will Curiosity find something surprising or something that atleast makes my eyebrows raise.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Well i wouldn't be too shocked to find Mars and Earth have a similar make-up, considering both were formed in the same solar system.

The fact it has rocks similar to places on Earth, can mean anything really. Molten rock will cool and form rocks of various shapes sizes and compositions. Considering Hawaii is an active volcanic region, them finding a rock like that could be a correlation to it's volcanic past.

Mars did have a volcanic history considering it has the solar systems largest volcano. Chances are we will find many rocks there that look like rocks we have here.

Also as said before, we know it has water, you can see it in this picture in the form of ice.

But i do agree, the rover was well worth it. Exploration is one of our greatest traits as humans. Finding enough water, ice or otherwise would mean a human settlement is possible. That would be wonderful.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tpsreporter

Well i wouldn't be too shocked to find Mars and Earth have a similar make-up, considering both were formed in the same solar system.

Good point. Kind of make you wonder why most of the planets and moons seem to be so different.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I think my guess would be their atmosphere or their lack thereof. Lots of elements and chemicals flying around in the air would form the outward appearance. Even if their guts were similar.

For Moons without any atmosphere, these two look very similar.

Earths Moon:

Ganymede, one of Jupiters Moons:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The question I have is WHAT KIND OF ROCK IS IT SIMILAR TOO? Again, half-ass answers released by NASA.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Yo,

It is amazing the data that is coming out of the curiosity mission. Let's respect NASA. America has slowly lost all appreciation for space exploration, it is vital to our development.

science
edit on 10/12/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: typo

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com

When scientists selected a rock to test the Mars rover Curiosity's laser, they expected it to contain the same minerals as rocks found elsewhere on the Red Planet, but learned instead it was more similar to a rock found on Earth.

The rock was chemically more akin to an unusual type of rock found on oceanic islands like Hawaii and St. Helena, as well as in continental rift zones like the Rio Grande, which extends from Colorado to Chihuahua, Mexico.

Related News Links:
[url=http://www.google.bg/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=curiosity%20rover&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCQQqQIoADAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews% 2Fscience-environment-19923118&ei=ORd4UIiDO43RsgasuIGACA&usg=AFQjCNGJ_mA8lrE4rfzn-1bP2ciDbgCnrw]www.google.bg

What a find if it turns out to be an "Earthite", or a meteorite that had Earth origin, just like we have pieces of Mars here on Earth as meteorites. These can only get transported from huge impacts, which put the material out into space far enough for it to get into the orbit of another planet. Saying that the rock had characteristics from Colorado to Lower Mexico puts it in the relative geography of the Chixilub impact , which was certainly powerful enough to send Earth rocks throughout the solar system......

edit on 13-10-2012 by charlyv because: spelling where caught

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be weird if we actually seeded life on Mars and then an asteroid destroyed the planet's atmosphere. M. Night Shyamalan worthy I guess.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Mars is too small to have water like the Moon.
That was the standard calculated evaluation until NASA needed water to survive.
If water in space came about there could only be chunks in frozen space unless
unleashed in a nearby planetary near collision evoking static electricity melting
and dumping a great amount of water from the heavens like Aquarius.
So Mars and Moon might get a splash but could not hold on to most of the water.
So if we needed Mars water we should get some chunks from an ice moon and
send it on a collision course to see what happens.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
could the laser used to explode the rock have altered the chemical composition detected?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Can not be anymore unusual than the moon rock brought back by the crew of Apollo 11 and given to the German Prime minister in 1970 turned out to be petrified wood.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
The question I have is WHAT KIND OF ROCK IS IT SIMILAR TOO? Again, half-ass answers released by NASA.

It's igneous (volcanic) in nature, likely something akin to a basalt or gabbro, basalt being "lava rock" in it's many forms, and gabbro being the ingneous seafloor equivalent to granite.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by alexoscarew

That was not a moon rock and it was not given to the German prime minister.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv

news.yahoo.com

Related News Links:

What a find if it turns out to be an "Earthite", or a meteorite that had Earth origin, just like we have pieces of Mars here on Earth as meteorites. These can only get transported from huge impacts, which put the material out into space far enough for it to get into the orbit of another planet. Saying that the rock had characteristics from Colorado to Lower Mexico puts it in the relative geography of the Chixilub impact , which was certainly powerful enough to send Earth rocks throughout the solar system......

Actually, that brings up an interesting point. This would have to bring up a question if they did find some form on fossilized bacteria on the planet Is it Martian or is a projectile from an impact from Earth.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bearack

Originally posted by charlyv

news.yahoo.com

Related News Links:

Actually, that brings up an interesting point. This would have to bring up a question if they did find some form on fossilized bacteria on the planet Is it Martian or is a projectile from an impact from Earth.

-----------------------------

That is exactly the page I am on as well. I think it will be revealed through scientific research, that "transpermia" is a
natural modus operandi for living things, and goes far beyond our solar system. We are all made of the stars and the stars in turn, are made from us as well. I think life is so prevalent, the universe could not be what it is without it.

top topics

join