It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU wins 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, despite debt crisis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

EU wins 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, despite debt crisis

www.reuters.com

The European Union won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for its historic role in uniting the continent in an award meant as a morale boost for the bloc as it struggles to resolve its debt crisis.

The EU has been a key in transforming Europe "from a continent of wars to a continent of peace," Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said in announcing the award in Oslo.

"The union is a trade bloc that contributes to keeping many countries in poverty."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
and i thought Obama winning this thing was bad enough! what in the world was the real purpose for giving this award??

a "morale booster", they say? they're doing it to give a little encouragement? i guess i just don't understand what this panel of five members' real goals are any more for awarding these prizes for "peace"...

it's been a LONG time (too long) since i posted here, guys, so maybe you can catch me up to speed on how "peaceful" this great EU entity really is?

do you think this prize was well-deserved, or is the whole thing as bogus as Obama winning it? hos come an anti-EU country like Norway, home of the Nobel Prize, award this?! who's benefitting?

(mods, feel free to move this to a more accurate forum if need be... as i said, it's been a while for me. thanks!)

www.reuters.com

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
great, i searched for existing threads not 10 minutes ago and just found this one ...

seems to have been posted for like 25 minutes though - why didn't it show up?! lol

you can shut this one down now

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
This award is joke in my eyes. I mean, they gave it to obama
and the deli lama. That says it all really

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
more stupidity from the nobel committee.. this one takes the cake.
first they give one to obama and now to the failed eu

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

???WTF???

Since when is the EU a person?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris
This award is joke in my eyes. I mean, they gave it to obama
and the deli lama. That says it all really

I concour Jay,its geting to be a joke at this stage,more like, there is a pat on the head for keeping the eaters happy while we clear axiularies play from the field.It makes me a bit woosy to the stomach being that there is good genuine people spending their lifes helping others and its something that im sure would of make somebodies year being given the award,thus fuelling a life time of gusto and help for others in need.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JimIrie

well the legal definition of a "person" is a "corporation", so i think it makes perfect sense!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
LOL maybe they'll divide the money prize equally across Europe. .50 Euro's for all! Go get yourself a tissue box from Poland and cry yourself to sleep about the debt, then sell the tears to a gypsy and turn a nice profit of 1 Euro. Or, better yet, use it to pay down .000000000001 percent of total debt.

This proves that noone in the world is very peaceful right now. Whenever there is doubt, take the prize and put it on Bob Marley's grave.
edit on 10/12/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

ETA: Obvious conspiracy! The Nobel committee wants to keep all of the money! They will award prizes to group entities from here on out.
edit on 10/12/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

haha good stuff,caught a beauty while i still had sleep in my eyes and tea in my hand,good stuff. A humbling every now and again is a good thing haha star and flag

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
This is funny. All the massive riots going on because of the banker corruption, lol.

Go figure.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Does this now mean everyone of us in the EU can now say we have won the Nobel Peace Prize?

I think the committee need examining for mental illness. The EU is a joke, the only award it should be winning is a comedy one!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by adrenochrome

and i thought Obama winning this thing was bad enough! what in the world was the real purpose for giving this award??

a "morale booster", they say? they're doing it to give a little encouragement? i guess i just don't understand what this panel of five members' real goals are any more for awarding these prizes for "peace"...

it's been a LONG time (too long) since i posted here, guys, so maybe you can catch me up to speed on how "peaceful" this great EU entity really is?

do you think this prize was well-deserved, or is the whole thing as bogus as Obama winning it? hos come an anti-EU country like Norway, home of the Nobel Prize, award this?! who's benefitting?

(mods, feel free to move this to a more accurate forum if need be... as i said, it's been a while for me. thanks!)

www.reuters.com

Berlin 1943

Berlin 2012

Maybe it's a "Most Improved" award.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The EU took a wrong turn when it got taken over by bureaucrats with emperial ambitions. If it hadn't, I could grasp the sense behind the award.

The citizens of EU do NOT want a federal government, and many European citizens feel that recent treaties (which they never got to vote for) were acts of high treason against their nation. I'm not a national-ist, but one thing I'm even less is an emperialist.

All empires corrupt.

edit on 12-10-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: typo

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Yeah I just won one too. I got drunk and didn't get in a fight. Well not with anything human. I kinda remember fighting this porcelain beast but it doesn't count. What a noble prize.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ScientificUAPer

Sorry, but I'm a citizen of the EU and I (and I know many others as well) would completely disagree with you.

You wouldn't want me to tell others your opinion about the EU; I'd appreciate if you refrain from telling others mine.
edit on 12-10-2012 by longlostbrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
You know I didn't think that the Nobel committee could do any worse than awarding Obama for doing absolutely nothing and they surprise me yet again.

I think the Nobel committee is more than aware that the future of the EU is tenuous at best due to debt issues of various national governments, and wants to remind the population of Europe's fifteen hundred year history of near constant conflict.

I find the Nobel Peace Prize less and less relevant each year it seems. Seems like it's gone from honoring people who have truly made a difference like MLK, Ghandi, and Mandella to awards like this year and Obama.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I can think of someone who deserves this award a lot more than the EU:

Malala Yousufzai

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

Second you on that ...

A Federalized EU would solve a lot of problems and force a restructuring of such a scale that most of the bureaucrats would be removed of any political power and be directly elected, it would also force a better coordination of efforts and probably end petty nationalistic contentions and regional fragmentation that will undoubtedly be in the cards if the project continues to be undermined by the Anglo-American interests. France needs to be kicked in the ass for its protection to agriculture and the policy of subsidies and no one will be better indicated to put French/German big agro in place than a reinforced Polish participation. All will bring problems and solutions but iif unhindered by internal sabotage the project can help resolve more problems than it will create.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother
reply to post by ScientificUAPer

Sorry, but I'm a citizen of the EU and I (and I know many others as well) would completely disagree with you.

You wouldn't want me to tell others your opinion about the EU; I'd appreciate if you refrain from telling others mine.
edit on 12-10-2012 by longlostbrother because: (no reason given)

You really want to belong to the big empire? Fair enough.

I was never really asked. Were you?

How do politicians who want the empire manage to get away with it without asking? Is it just the beginnings of emperial behavior? Didn't we see officials of the EU warning the nation states that they should ensure a Yea, at all cost, the last time?
Even if that meant not asking the populace? Or even if it meant that exactly?

That is a technocracy without democracy and I expect much more of it in the years to come.
So, I'd appreciate if those people refrained from telling me how it's going to be written, with or without my consent!

Panic, you're mad at the French farmers. And to punish them want the empire to manhandle them? I don't get the line of thinking. Isn't it the EU that created the problem for you in the first place? What about fixing the problem politically, instead of constitutionally? Or re-doing older flawed treaties?

Consider the local democracy you're giving up. Consider whether this is the right step for humanity?

edit on 12-10-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: addition

edit on 12-10-2012 by
edit on 12-10-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: typo
extra DIV

top topics

<<   2 >>

join