It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

55 Cancri e - The pure diamond exoplanet..... wish I had me one of those!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Amazing discovery.. thought I would share with the honorable membership of ATS...

Researchers have analyzed data from an exoplanet discovered in 2004 and have found that it is likely mainly made up of pure diamond. According to the scientists involved, around 1/3 of the planet is made of diamond, with the rest being composed of graphite, iron and solicon carbide.

The planet is called 55 Cancri e and has a mass around eight times greater than our Earth. It's also incredibly qu
ick, and completes a full orbit around it's star in eighteen hours. It takes Earth 365 days. Due to it's proximity to its star, it could reach 3,900 degrees Fahrenheit (2148 degrees Celsius)

"This is our first glimpse of a rocky world with a fundamentally different chemistry from Earth," lead researcher Nikku Madhusudhan of Yale University said in a statement. "The surface of this planet is likely covered in graphite and diamond rather than water and granite."

55 Cancri e is one of five planets orbiting a sun-like star called 55 Cancri, which is around 40 light-years from Earth. It's located in the constellation Cancer, and can be spotted with the naked eye in the northern hemisphere.

www.reuters.com...

Enjoy...

PA.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectAnomoly

There's a thread about it here.

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread889829/pg1

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
You think if the US threw a lasso around it and gave it to China it could pay around half our debt?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
If anyone did possess this planet, go figure how valuable diamonds are going to be afterwards.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Thread closed...

Existing thread can be found here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please continue the discussion there

thank you.

top topics

join