It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the whole idea of 2012 doomsday another false accusation?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It could be that they are out shopping and stock piling all the stuff they think they are going to need

Me, I'm planning Christmas 3 days early.... I decided that if the world is going to end, shift, change, whatever I at least want to have a full belly and be wearing new pajamas when/if it does anything

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

Originally posted by SkuzzleButt
all the people who preached about 2012 being the end all seem to be dissapearing now because its clear nothing will happen by now

Either that, or they have retreated into their bunkers

Or in your case, their Archie Bunkers.
Sorry, just had to.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Eye of Horus

Its not the end of the world as the movies show. Thats one of the tactics TPTB use to instill fear & terror within the program. There play on that moment of future time they want us all to be in fear. Fear is one of the things which gives them power.

TPTB have consistantly said 2012 is BS.

The only people hawking it were selling books and DVDs. Plus the odd low brow on the internet.

Quit blaming TPTB. Start calling them out by their names instead of blowing smoke.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It indeed is absurd, but the number of different prophecies that predict something to happen on that specific date has to make you wonder... I guess we'll know soon enough.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by strato

Can you point to even a single prophecy that is from before 1983 that mentions December 21, 2012? I keep hearing this claim and I keep asking people about it but nobody can give me even one example of these, apparently, numerous prophecies.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

But whoever decoded the calendar when it was found... didn't they take the leap years into consideration as they were working on decoding it?
True, if the Mayan calendar used the 'leap year' (which it does not).

The Mayan calendar is a count of days based system.

The 'leap year' is a Gregorian calendar aberration.

-saige-
edit on 12-10-2012 by saige45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybee

Originally posted by SkuzzleButt
all the people who preached about 2012 being the end all seem to be dissapearing now because its clear nothing will happen by now

Either that, or they have retreated into their bunkers

Or in your case, their Archie Bunkers.
Sorry, just had to.

LOL. Well played, sir. Well played. I genuinely lol'd

Unfortunately, regular members can't give a post applause, so a Constanza applause will have to suffice.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by littleflash

Well, it's not exactly a calendar. Mayans were pretty advanced in a interesting way. If I remember correctly, their calendar was made to show how long humans would live for on it, it also was made for astronomy, they basically predicted special things that happened in space that were noticeable, like a simple comet, or whatever else you would want, I just woke up, so i'm a little sketchy and might not be 100% accurate. But you get the point.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I think I mentioned this, but, they most likely stopped continuing the calendar, is because the Mayan civilization probably severely fell at the time. I will probably look into it later, and see if I can find an estimate when the calendar wasn't being made anymore, and see what happened in that time period. But, if thats not the case, there could be other reasons for it. I mean, they can't make the calendar forever. Any catastrophic event could have happened to them, then we find the calendar, we misinterpret it thinking they stopped making it, and bam, everyone goes crazy, starts buying supplies without full research, only to realize, nothing is happening.
edit on 12-10-2012 by TehSlenderMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TehSlenderMan

All the Long Count did was keep track of days. In order to understand it you really have to understand the Mayan calendar system as a whole. For day-to-day purposes they used the Haab. This was a 365 day solar calendar and was tied to the planting cycle. This functioned much like our own calendar. Then there was the Tzolkin. This was a 260 day calendar tied to religious events. Think of this kind of like the liturgical year in Christianity. Together they would form what is known as the Calendar Round. The most common dates you see in Mayan epigraphy are Calendar Round dates. Now the CR repeats every 52 years. Thus the Maya needed a calendar to refer to dates outside of this 52 year cycle. Their solution was the Long Count. This functions much in the same way we use years. It allowed them to refer to dates that were either far in the future or far in the past. It wasn't tied to any astronomical events.

Now in regards to the Long Count ending think of it like our own calendar system. We can conceive of the year 10 billion but you'd probably be hard pressed to find a reference to it written down anywhere. In fact you'd probably have trouble finding references to dates more than a few thousand years out. That doesn't mean that we expect the world to end in a few thousand years. It just means that we have no reason to refer to dates beyond that at this time.

Of course there's also the fact that 2012 isn't the latest date the Maya referred to. We have a number of examples of dates that extend into piktuns (20 baktuns) whereas we have maybe only one date that refers to 2012.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by TehSlenderMan

... the year 10 billion but you'd probably be hard pressed to find a reference to it written down anywhere. ...
Found a reference to the year 10 billion. Can I have my cookie now.

Just kidding.

The issue, as I see it, is a matter of context.

-saige-

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Yeah they probably did take it into account. I think the idea is based more on troll logic rather than...you know...facts.

Which makes me no better, and for that I apologize

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
There will be a shift of sorts. And this shift will be people waking up to a world, where we won't get fooled again.
A new world where new people will stand up and say, in 2016, or in 2025 the world will end. 80% or more of us will have shifted into the new world of understanding they are full of it, and its a waste of time to live within fear.

Its great to research, and better to know than not know if something would happen. But over all that is the shift I feel will happen. Most people like me, will never get fish hooked into another End times date.

I knew about this stuff long ago. When I even spoke about it, I was laughed at and told I was crazy.

Around 2004 or so, it became mainstream, and now everyone was talking about it like it was normal, and it was going to happen.
I'm like, just a few years ago, I was the crazy one for bringing it up. Now this.

Yeah it will be a shift alright. An awakening of knowledge, and the slinking of all those doomsayers, who will crawl into their holes, until they can come up with a new date.

Granted, I can say this.. All those birds, and Fish deaths. and other unexplained animal deaths last year and this year make me wonder about a pole shift. But that is about the extent of my romance to 2012. Lots of Earthquakes, and massive storms on the sun. But we live in a day and age where information is at our fingertips. I feel we see more of these things, as we are tapped in so deeply to all this information. To where before, the only news we got, was pre-internet. Its like a microscope effect.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TehSlenderMan
but, all these 2012 end of the world things, it seems to have died down. Before, there were all these multiple theories, now, as its only 2 months away, there is absolutely no talk on it,

I noticed exactly the same thing about other hotly-predicted days on ATS. So much so that I've labelled it "day has arrived" syndrome.
In the period leading up to the named day, intense excited discussion. On the day itself, nothing (apart from the occasional "so where is it, then?").
It seems that people could believe in the possiblility before the day arrived, but the arrival of the actual day, in cold reality, was like a bucket of cold water over the discussion.
It seems that people did not even wait for the day to start, let alone finish, before they gave up on the idea that something would happen.

In this case the actual arrival of the year seems to be having the same effect, perhaps because the expectation was being attached to the whole year ("Will 2012 happen?").
So the actual arrival of the cold reality of 2012 has dampened down people's ability to believe anything out of the ordinary about it, just as it did with previous specific days.

edit on 13-10-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Excellent post. The fish/bird deaths are strange that is for sure, I would love an explanation on that, but I doubt it has anything to do with 2012. Perfect explanation though, sorry I didn't reply earlier, didn't notice your post. Just had to let you know that what you just said needs to be advertised for everyone else to understand. We are the crazy ones until it becomes a main stream topic, then you're "cool" and "hip" for talking and knowing about it. It's annoying, but it is what it is I suppose.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join