It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if every American was given 10 mill dollars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Just imagine a hypothetical thought experiment where every American citizen was given 10 million dollars from an external giver. How do you think this would effect the nation? Wouldnt this cause a great collapse as 99% of the employed people would then cease employment. Where would the electricity come from? How would people eat if farmers stopped working? Would basic utilities and services that people enjoy just cease all of a sudden? Who would bother to work in retail anymore? I could picture people going on massive spending sprees but with nobody there to pay the goods to. I think it would be a total disaster. What are your thoughts? Could the country sustain itself somehow?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
You would just end up with hyper inflation.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Economics dictates that if this happened a loaf of bread would cost about 2 million dollars and a gallon of gas about 6 million.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by croatianguy

A new currency would be made, and goods would be traded for goods. Having everyone have 10 million would mean in the US, the money is worth nothing. Thus, not everyone would just stop working and sip pina coladas on the beach. If this happened, there would be massive rioting, murder, violence, and just panic. It is like unleashing pandora's box.

link   
Yeah lol, overnight McDonalds would change the price on a burger to $15,000

link   

A cheeseburger would cost 50k.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

i would take my 10 million and leave America, to somewhere that my 10 million would be worth something, im no economist but wouldn't this cost massive inflation? it would mean a car would cost a million dollars instead of 50,000 and a super sized meal would cost a couple thousand instead of 7. so i would leave quick and not look back.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
So without hyperinflation there would be a defnite collpase?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Watch the movie Bruce Almighty, when he answers everyone's prayers at once ...and that includes all the people wanting to win the lottery. All splitting the jackpot. Wasn't pretty......

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
i actually had a similar idea, where the government put $1mil in a trust in your name at birth, and at 6% interest.

you are entitled to the interest only (not the initial capital) as a kind of lifetime social security.

at 18 you can claim a wage from it.

it turned out i needed way more intial millions of dollars than i thought about...

21000000000000 in australia...

thats alot of big arsed zeros

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
....by the end of the year when it's time to pay those "taxes" Americans would be broke again and the recession would be laughing in our faces.

Oh yes $1,000 a gallon at the pumps....

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
What if what if..

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
it would devalue the buying power of dollar. The only way to reestablish its purchase power would be via through inflation. A loaf of bread cost 100 US dollars. Nice idea but cant work in reality.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I would burn my 10 million and dance around the flames naked.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by croatianguy
Just imagine a hypothetical thought experiment where every American citizen was given 10 million dollars from an external giver.

What's the external giver on? Can we have some? Why on earth would he want to do that? Besides, it would probably be illegal....

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by D377MC

Originally posted by croatianguy
Just imagine a hypothetical thought experiment where every American citizen was given 10 million dollars from an external giver.

What's the external giver on? Can we have some? Why on earth would he want to do that? Besides, it would probably be illegal....

Its only a thought experiment dude. The external giver could be God, China or a generous Bill Gates.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The men would spend the money on beer, hookers and fast cars. The women would buy shoes and diamonds.....

top topics

join