It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kerry has accomplished in 20 years as a senator.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Senator kerry after 20 years of servce has passed a grand total of 11 bills.
Of these 11 bills 7 were ceremonial in nature.
Such as renwewing World Population Awareness Week or Awarding a congressional gold medal to Jackie Robinson (posthumously).
20 years
11 bills
Only 5 of which were of any real substance.

Is this a man who we can trust to accomplish anything noteworthy as president?

source factcheck.org.
Click link for a full list of Senator Kerry's accomplishments in 20 years.

Edited for link.

[edit on 18-10-2004 by mwm1331]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Well, you've got to show up for work first before you can accomplish anything...

What were the five bills he passed called? What did they do, or not do?

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Kerry hasn't done diddly doo which is why he used Vietnam as a focal point at the DNC. He has no accomplishments in his 20 year history as Senator which is one of the biggest reasons why I am absolutley dumbfounded that ANYONE would vote for him!

Jemison

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Sorry thought I had posted the link
factcheck.org...

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Although Kerry has not passed alot of bills, the significant ones that he did pass such as grants to women owned small buisnesses, save the dolphins measure, funding for the national sea grant college program, and Increased grants for small buisnesses say to me that although not an extravagant bill passer, he does have concerns about the economy and the enviroment, and has made good choices in the bills that he has passed.
Does anyone have any info on the bills that Bush passed during his time as governer of texas, weather or not they were as benificial?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Face it, Kerry accomplished more by the age of 41 than Bush has in his lifetime!

Kerry by the Book
Case Studies: It's the 20-year hole in his campaign resume. What Kerry's really done in the Senate�and why he doesn't talk about it

By Richard Wolffe
Newsweek

Oct. 25 issue - It's one of John Kerry's biggest achievements in the Senate: a groundbreaking investigation into money laundering, drug dealers, terrorists and secret nukes. Yet voters have rarely heard of the senator's dogged inquiries into the Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI). Why? Because some of Kerry's leading campaign strategists believed it was too difficult for voters to digest. "You can't talk about that because people think you're talking about the BBC," Bob Shrum, Kerry's top adviser, told one senior staffer. "Why were you investigating British TV?"
From corrupt banks to Vietnam POWs, Kerry's Senate record is a mixture of the high-profile and the obscure, of showboat politics and detailed debate, not unlike the man himself. George W. Bush accused Kerry last week of having "no record of leadership." In fact, as the BCCI inquiry shows, Kerry has a serious record that translates poorly into the language of a presidential campaign. That's not unusual for senators, who have struggled unsuccessfully to reach the White House since the days of JFK. But Kerry has been no traditional senator. From the moment he entered the Senate as an ambitious 41-year-old, Kerry eschewed the clubby corridors of the lawmakers, where colleagues like Ted Kennedy, the senior senator from Massachusetts, cast a long shadow. Instead, the younger Kerry preferred the crime-busting culture of his previous life as a prosecutor and the investigative spirit of the Vietnam and Watergate era. He delved deep into the lives of narco traffickers, gun runners and rogue spies. And along the way, he also nurtured his intellectual love of foreign policy�where senators pass few laws and bring home no bacon. To Kerry's aides in 2003, his record looked too senatorial at a time when the country wanted a commander in chief. The result: a largely blank page in the campaign book, which the Bush team has been only too eager to fill.
Kerry campaigned for the Senate in 1984 on grand themes of war and peace, pledging to cut Reagan-era military defense costs. Once in the chamber, he headed straight for a battle-torn hot spot: Nicaragua, where he undertook the lofty mission of boosting peace talks with the pro-communist Sandinistas. That doomed diplomacy was the start of a trail that would ultimately lead the young senator to the door of a corrupt Pakistani bank. Kerry started digging around dark tales of drug dealing and CIA skulduggery in Nicaragua, in what proved to be a foretaste of the Iran-contra affair. But when the full scandal broke, Kerry was pushed aside by more senior senators. His reward was the chair of a terrorism subcommittee, and a platform for more ambitious investigations. Kerry began by probing the life of Manuel Noriega, the Panamanian dictator, whose regime was smuggling narcotics and arms. Noriega's bank was BCCI and, with the help of staff in his small personal office, Kerry began to unravel an extraordinary story. The well-connected bank, with ties to powerful Democrats like former Defense secretary Clark Clifford, was a network of international crime. Kerry's staff concluded that BCCI bribed government officials the world over, handled cash for Palestinian terrorists and Saddam Hussein, probably funded Pakistan's secret nukes and laundered money for the CIA. Three years after he launched his inquiries, BCCI collapsed.

Read the full article: Newsweek

Again, what has Bush accomplished? Did he leave Texas better off than he found it? America? THe World?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
What has Bush done in just 4 years!!!???

Gone from a budget surplus, to a budget deficit.

We've seen the most devestating terrorist attack ever to take place on our soil.

We've seen the emergeance of two new nuclear threats, both hostile to the US (NK and Iran).

He invaded a sovereign nation on the premise of a now proven lie.

He created a rift between us and long standing allies...

We've seen America go from being respected and feared, to hated and reviled.

Pushed for an amendment that aims to discriminate against some Americans (ban on gay marriage).

Pushed against using stem cells to find cures for diseases, and instead would have them as refuse...

etc. etc.

Personally, I'd even take Kerry's inaction vs. Bush's actions any day....

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kastinyque
Does anyone have any info on the bills that Bush passed during his time as governer of texas, weather or not they were as benificial?

Well, as Governor of Texas (or any of the 50 States), he was working in the Executive Branch, not the Legislative Branch. So Bush couldn't "pass" any bills then -- he could only sign or veto bills, and even then, the State Legislature could override his veto. So the question is, "Which bills did Bush veto while Governor of Texas?"

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
What kerry has acomplished in 20 years,

Well he has never put our country into a war that he cannot win, he has never put our country through the worst deficit of our country history, he does not have to worry about sending our young to a war for oil and witness them dying without remorse.

Hummm I like kerry 20 years a lot.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
What kerry has acomplished in 20 years,

Well he has never put our country into a war that he cannot win, he has never put our country through the worst deficit of our country history, he does not have to worry about sending our young to a war for oil and witness them dying without remorse.

Hummm I like kerry 20 years a lot.

Well marg by that defnition caligulas horse was a great senator for rome. After all that horse never voted to raise taxes, go to war, or spent a surplus either.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Geez, nobody said Kerry was perfect however, you Bush supporters really need to take off your BLINDERS and realize that Bush is NOT good for our country. He has made a mochary of our country. We do not have the respect from other countries that we once had. That's a big deal..to me anyway. Hopefully Kerry will win the election and restore credibility with other nations. Lower the deficit and geez, fix healh care issues. People can't afford meds..example..ME. IT's come to a point where America doesn't seem like the land of Opportunity anymore. Take the blinders off Bush supporters and see him for who he really is.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I think the greatest disservice that the Democratic Party did to THEMSELVES was to put John Kerry up as their candidate.

In an election where the incumbant Republicans were vulnerable...the democrats nominate a guy I wouldnt trust to walk my dog.

If John Kerry is the best they have to offer, no wonder the Democrats are on the outside looking in.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Dammit, I'm tired of hearing about medical issues! We have nationaized health care for the poor. Its called medicaid..and its abused nationally. We have healthcare for seniors and its called medicare. About the only demographic the government doesn't have healthcare for is those of us who are able to work. Why the hell would we think any kind of liberal health plan be free to us once it is established? Someone's got to pay for it. Nothing is free ultimately.

Look, I know poor people. They have medical cards that pay for everything they need. They love it and they need it.

I know seniors and I have done needs assessments in the poorest area in Appalachia. Most seniors have a suppliment from a pension and social security and medicare. Most owned their homes and lived comfortably. This idea that seniors are having to choose between medicine and food is a myth created for political agendas. If I can't find a senior in this shape in the heart of East KY, where else can we look.

Most people I hear bitching about wanting national healthcare make more than 30,000 annually and drive SUVs, have everything they want except health insurance because they refuse to give up getting that new Navigator or Escalade to buy it. They are making poor choices and would be able to afford insurance if they so chose.

What makes these people think they would suddenly get it for free is beyond me but its an illusion. Any program created would center soley on the demographic which already has two programs in place.

We don't need anymore social medical programs, we need to make better decisions with our money and we need to remove the power the insurance companies have in politics. They and their premiums go virtually unchecked because the government is trying to allow a case for its takeover of the industry to build itself. Another words, they're allowing insurance companies enough rope to hang themselves..but its makes it too expensive for us in the meantime.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This is how i see it:

Bush made mistakes and succeded in doing many things

Kerry made mistakes but did nothing right to begin with

who is better for this country?

top topics

join