It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putting gas in my car is killing my bank account

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It is killing my bank account and my sanity.

I actually got giddy over $3.33 a gallon the other day. I put every drop in my car it would hold. I was told I was "lucky" to get that price because it went up $0.50 a gallon overnight and they hadnt changed their signs yet.

I drive 100 miles a day round trip to work and back. My car gets about 23 mpg. If we round the gas to the nearest dollar (it is now $3.89 a gallon) $4 a gallon. It costs me $16 a day for gas alone. Multiply that by the 20 average days a month I work and I am spending $320 a month on gas alone. That means I essentially work 20 hours a month for the privelage of getting there.

First, the common sense thing would be to move closer to work. I cant right now. My daughter is a senior in high school and I promised her we wouldnt move until she graduated. She went to 9 schools before 6th grade because her daddy was in the Army.

Second, the housing market is so horrible after paying our mortgage for 7 years, we cannot sell it for what we owe much less make anything off of it.

A simple google search shows me gas was $1.16 a gallon in 1990. In 2000 it was $1.95. In 2010 it was $2.74.

Someone make me understand why it is on average a dollar more 2 years later?

I think it is time we tap into our own oil reserves and stop depending on foreign oil.

Is anyone feeling it? I have also noticed grocery prices are steadily increasing. So is my electric bill. So is my car insurance. So is my water bill. However my paycheck remains the same and I am usually left with about $6 the night before payday. What is going on??????????? Am I the only one noticing this?

edit on 11-10-2012 by k21968 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Staight answer: Yes.

I'm running a small buisness that requires the use of fuel for machines, and for my truck.. I have to put a little bit at a time in my truck and equipment just to keep from overspending on my buisness budget (which means my entire budget lol)

It's tough to try and start a business, especially if you require the usage of fuel. Luckily I have no overhead, as far as paying employees, but fuel costs are getting pretty absurd.

Last I checked today, when I filled up it was 3.56 per gallon.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
think a large part of it for this last surge of fuel prices was due to the high Canadian dollar Americans are having to pay more the oil companies short fall ...
eta ... fuel goes up everything else goes up in living expenses
edit on 11/10/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Your lucky in the UK it is $13 a gallon give or take 50 cents.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
simple. politics.

gas is $5 a gallon because the oil market is owned by a majority of conservative republicans and republican backed corporations

this is to punish obama and sway votes to the republican party. to make him look bad.

people will think that voting for romney will lower pump prices.

it might for a few months after romney is elected drop, but then go back to regular prices because oil co.'s aren't stupid. if you were willing to pay $4 a gallon, they'll keep it there.

the good news is won't sky rocket, thus making romney look back. if he's up for re-election, predict another noticeable drop.
edit on 11-10-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Oil Prices are controlled by the Global Market, not by any single political party. It is a supply and demand market, if the Republicans cut their own nose off to spite their face and put the price of US barrels up, the consumers would just buy from Venezuela or any other country that exports Oil.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
There's an app for the iPhone that will give you the best gas prices in your area. Gas Buddy, I believe it's called.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I filled up my truck today for $98.00 at $4.07 a gallon. Good thing you don't live in Europe. Get a smaller car 16mpg is really not all that good. You ought to bew able to pick up a used car that gets over 30mpg very easily. Some of the newer small cars approach 50mpg. Basically we are being social engineered into smaller vehicles. Obama is just fine with expensive gas. It's part of the plan.

Even if we developed the considerable resources available to North America (way more than Saudi Arabia has) it will take a good long while to get it all going, I wouldn;t plan on lower gas prices any time soon. If Obama wins, it will get even worse and whoever wins, the environmental lobby will fight any increase tooth and nail.

It's a lose lose proposition, so adapt or die.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

Its not the fact that your importing it..

.. its more the greedy CEO's want larger and larger and larger profits.

The price per barrel dropped 71% in the 2008 period.
But the price per gallon at the pumps dropped 53-56% in the 2008 period.

Seems someone has been pocketing the difference.

I'd be asking Exxon why they feel they need to be making billions upon billions EXTRA profit each year while people like yourself struggle to get to work.

..but then again, its easier for America to blame Obama right?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I drive 120 miles to work and back. I usually sleep at work since im a trucker, i also get 23mpg. Even going to work 3 times in aweek kills me, costs me $20 a day. This is stupid.

Heres an idea....convert your car to run on natural gas...aka methane. You can make it out of poop and garbage and even roadkill. You rig up a 55 gallon drum for the compost, and fill up old innertubes with it. Put the innertubes in another drum, under a plate with a tarp, fill it up with water and you can compress it this way....
Not sure what itd take to get much pressuure but its a cool as hell idea..

I cant move closer to work cause where i work is a #hole. Infact i work in indiana and consider the whole state a #hole

Oh yeah, my solution for myself? Sounds dumb but i have two cars...one lives at work one lives at home. i take the truck home at times and let the bossman eat the fuel....in the 5mpg behemoth :/

Other people at my job are driving diesel pickups and stealing fuel from our trucks. Atleast my solution doesnt involve theft...
edit on 11-10-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
What's going on is hyperinflation. So far, it's been kept to a moderate pace in order for people not to go bananas and riot in the streets. However, with the fed allowing unlimited Quantative Easing, this means they're printing a ton of money with nothing to back it up.

When this happens, money floods the market, and the value of the dollar goes down. Therefore, everything else becomes more expensive, while our wages remain flat and stagnant.

Bottom line: The middle class is disappearing, and we're all becoming one big lower class of poor people, struggling to buy even basic necessities, because our paycheck won't stretch as far thanks to the inflation.

Gas in states other than California have actually been kept artificially low, as it takes oil companies around $93 per barrel of crude in order to turn a profit.....Er, I mean, a "respectable" profit according to Wall Street standards. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true, thanks to offshore exploration costs, etc. Today it bumped up to $92.40.

Just wait until after the election. I have an awful feeling all hell will break loose when it comes to prices.

People need to start buying a little extra food each time they shop, and do their best to keep to a budget, because it is only going to get worse.

Our US dollar is collapsing, only they're not telling us, so we think everything is hunky-dory. Don't be caught unaware. The economy is NOT recovering, that is a myth. We're circling the drain, fixing to go down.
edit on 11-10-2012 by FissionSurplus because: clarification

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by k21968
I think it is time we tap into our own oil reserves and stop depending on foreign oil.

I think it's time to stop suppressing old technologies which could already get us off oil, but that would mean we would need to break free from the control of the elites. It's quite obvious we can do better even with gas engines. Take a look at the first honda insight which achieved almost 70mpg.. The newer ones get around 40.. It's never even been about oil, it's about suppressing anything that can give you independence. Until you get rid of that suppression, we will pay whatever they can get away with charging.

Maybe one day we can have this.. An engine which would be around the size of a coffee can for the average car, running off plants, or compressed air... Estimated over 100mpg. Power to weight ratio of 40/1..

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Gas is high because the dollar is low.
Remember we trade for oil in petrodollars and nobody wants to sell us oil for the same price because the Fed keeps telling the Treasury department to keep printing more.
It's not supply and demand or speculation, it's the value of the dollars on international markets.

I'm sorry for you and everyone else that has to pay so much so just to get to work and back. It's killing our middle class and squeezing out anyone living on the margin.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
In Canada where I am the gas is now 1.34/litre

Average to 4 litres/gallon and we are at 5.36/gallon.

I agree, keep our own fuel in our Country and stop selling it and giving it away overseas.

Peace

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
I filled up my truck today for $98.00 at $4.07 a gallon. Good thing you don't live in Europe. Get a smaller car 16mpg is really not all that good. You ought to bew able to pick up a used car that gets over 30mpg very easily. Some of the newer small cars approach 50mpg. Basically we are being social engineered into smaller vehicles. Obama is just fine with expensive gas. It's part of the plan.

Even if we developed the considerable resources available to North America (way more than Saudi Arabia has) it will take a good long while to get it all going, I wouldn;t plan on lower gas prices any time soon. If Obama wins, it will get even worse and whoever wins, the environmental lobby will fight any increase tooth and nail.

It's a lose lose proposition, so adapt or die.

Do you realize what cars cost?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Gas is being kept artificially low? im callling bs. It wouldnt cost them so much to make it if crude wasnt so high. why is crude so high? Welll...............

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Not to long ago i was spending 60-80$ per week on gas
had to refill after 2 days and i have a small car that dont need that much gas

imagine if cars would be powered like the back to the futur car
putting bio crap in it .. every trash cans would become Gold

oh wait .. we already have that tech
but some greedy oil big coorp
like to steal our money everyday

Capitalism

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Thats why ill never buy another car. i will be happy with driving my 96 sebring convertible and my 02 hyundai santa fe for life. or similar old pieces of crap,

Do you guys have any idea how much oil is used to make a car too?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
reply to post by Ben81

Thats why ill never buy another car. i will be happy with driving my 96 sebring convertible and my 02 hyundai santa fe for life. or similar old pieces of crap,

Do you guys have any idea how much oil is used to make a car too?

Just replied this on the other thread :

Originally posted by phantomjack
You guys, and me, with generators: how long do you think a gas powered generator is going to run when gas will literally be unavailable after about a week of a "lights out" situation?

Yeah, I have one. But I also know that I am not gonna get much use out of it.

Exactly !
stop depending on machines that runs on gas
Water,Wind,Fire - Solar and Bio energy is free
no need for the disgusting smelly polluting fossil oil

pumping this dark substance is like sucking Mother Earth blood from her veins

we are not vampires

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Make them run on garbage then. Got a solution to compress methane at home?

top topics

join