It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Do This - Delete Your Responses?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I do this quite often and I find I am doing it more so during this election period. I see a post from someone so blinded by their own convictions that the post is way out of place or down right ignorant at best and I have to respond and I don't want to respond nicely.

So I then close the browser before hitting send because I know the moderators are hyper-sensitive and I'll just get a T&C warning even though my not-nice flames have all the heat of a flashlight and I'm pretty nice about. So I just give up the post and close the browser but it doesn't make me feel any better.

This could be solved with a "Vent" button or call it whatever you like. I just want to be able to write up a good mean vent and click Post without worrying about T&C. I don't care if the person ever sees it or if it ever gets posted back to the server although I'd like to believe it did and they went in to the fetal position.

You know as well as I do some of the posts on this site challenge every ounce of decorum a person can have especially when they post a blind defense of [insert Democrat] or [insert Republican] candidate or a blind dismissal of a theory or an article without reading it. I know we aren't supposed to feed the trolls but can we have more troll hunters?

By the way, I feel less compelled to have decorum in a reply when the avatar and tagline of the person is highly offensive all on its own - no one seems to be moderating those.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I do that more then I post. It is almost like I can not be bothered or something kind of similar. It occurs even when I'm not flaming. It's the oddest thing.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Totally agree
I'll admit I've found myself increasingly frustrated at some of the posts and posters here at ATS, and as much as I've tried to keep polite I know I've come across as rude a few times, and ultimately edit my post, leaving my original comment, but apologising for my outburst.

For a site that boasts 'deny ignorance' with posters that claim to be 'awake' or 'aware' there's plenty of ignorance and many in what I can only describe as a coma

What could be done is possibly a negative star system or a turd maybe

I've said it before , I'll say it again, I blame linking to face book to some degree
Someone let the happy little sheep in

SnF

Soz for my little rant
edit on 11-10-2012 by Neocrusader because: Just like that ^^^^ lol

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Mate - have I got a good solution for your little dilemma - try these emoticons on for size.

Be polite but add one of these, for instance, when you wish to express dissatisfaction at someones opinion:

Thank-you for your opinion, but I disagree this much
:bash:

Here is the link.............ATS emoticons

Have fun - maybe stay away from the political forums for a while too - that might help!

edit on 11-10-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I do the exact same thing... I like to think I'm a better person then those who will flame or fall into the endless, pointless, circular arguments that SO many pursue here... Although I am guilty of falling into the trap once in a while... Nobody's perfect.

There are a lot of ignorant pin-heads on this site, and there is nothing you can say to them to change their minds. If you cannot convince them with reason and logic, then there is no hope for them. The best thing to do is to ignore the post... If that is not possible, then state your side of it using reason, logic and common sense and leave it at that....

....But yeah, it is SO difficult to ignore those yokels sometime....

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I post what I want.. If the mods have a problem with it.. (they usually do).. It will get removed.. And I will lose more of those "precious" "invisible" ATS points..

Like i'm suppose to give a damn about some form of Fake currency they throw around to keep members in check..

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 001ggg100
I do the exact same thing... I like to think I'm a better person then those who will flame or fall into the endless, pointless, circular arguments that SO many pursue here... Although I am guilty of falling into the trap once in a while... Nobody's perfect.

I think I might just start flagging everyone of them as a 'foe'. I wonder how many people I can flag as a foe before it starts slowing down my ATS experience.

I agree though, there are some people I know are thread killers and I try to actively filter them out as I read through the thread but when anyone replies to them its like pouring water on gremlins - they seem to multiply until eventually the entire thread is dead.

I've always wanted ATS to have thread branches that someone can moderate. That way if it does go off on a 20 page off-topic cycle it could all be collapsed under one post and I could safely ignore it.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
I post what I want.. If the mods have a problem with it.. (they usually do).. It will get removed.. And I will lose more of those "precious" "invisible" ATS points..

Half the time I've been 'warned' I usually didn't notice for 2 months because I don't check my messages and by then I have no idea what I was warned about. I just can't get ATS banned. I'd be the one in the fetal position.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

I do that with emails, Facebook posts, ATS posts - you name it. I'll write a clever, mocking and just plane rude post then delete it. It feels better to write it out, get it out of your system but not actually publish it. It also helps that I firmly believe ignorant/stupid people will hang themselves all on their own.
edit on 11-10-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88
I do that with emails, Facebook posts, ATS posts - you name it. I'll write a clever, mocking and just plane rude post then delete it. It feels better to write it out, get it out of your system but not actually publish it. It also helps that I firmly believe ignorant/stupid people will hang themselves all on their own.

I do it at work, more so at my last employer than my current employer. Worst thing you can ever do is hit send on one of those. No telling how many hours I've wasted blasting a coworker on e-mail only to delete it all. I take work a lot more serious than ATS so I get a lot more heated there. Maybe there is a website where you can write your venting responses and post it anonymously. There is something about deleting it before hitting send that is just so unfulfilling.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
nevermind

edit on 11-10-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

I hear you loud & clear. I'm the same at work too, though I made mistake nearly a decade ago that taught the last thing to add in an email -- the email address you're sending to (no accidental sends can happen if there's no address).

If you don't want to delete it, try this site for ranting: rantrampage.com...

This one is little more biting by naming people: fmyboss.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88
reply to post by ararisq
I hear you loud & clear. I'm the same at work too, though I made mistake nearly a decade ago that taught the last thing to add in an email -- the email address you're sending to (no accidental sends can happen if there's no address).

Yes, I have got in the habit of never entering the e-mail address until I am completely finished and deleting it when I do a reply until I am finished.

CTRL-ENTER is evil.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
All I do is type a reply to something then delete everything I typed.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Yes, and agreed!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I have done this more times than I have actually posted.

I considered requesting something like down-voting / Being able to remove a star, or thumbs up / down.

I doubt something like that would be implemented though, the argument would be it would be abused. However if it was used per post (not up/down on the thread title) that could work.

For now I just close the thread, and move on.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamOver
I have done this more times than I have actually posted.

I considered requesting something like down-voting / Being able to remove a star, or thumbs up / down.

I doubt something like that would be implemented though, the argument would be it would be abused. However if it was used per post (not up/down on the thread title) that could work.

For now I just close the thread, and move on.

I agree, I don't see an issue with a down-vote separate from the stars. I don't think its a bad thing that someone knows how many people disagree with their post. I mean if you are posting 250 times on a thread and not receiving a single star you might be a ...[deleted]

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I love the idea of a "Vent" button. Maybe instead of stars we can have a, I dunno, non-star symbol. A like or dislike.

If I were King of the Universe for a day, I would add an "ATS Mortal Kombat Throw Down" link in the banner on top. You could call someone out who has totally raked you fur the wrong way. Then meet up in the ePit to duel it out with the old game characters. Folks could watch. It sure would make Friday nights more interesting watching the hard heads go at it.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I do as well. Sometimes, I just want to state my opinion, good or bad, right or wrong....without an argument.

join