It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Lawmaker Claims ‘Some Girls Rape Easy’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
This is one of those times that I just want to shake my head in shame at how our political system and those elected to it view our world and the important issues in it.

thinkprogress.org...

A Wisconsin state lawmaker endorsed by Paul Ryan has come under criticism for suggesting that “some girls rape easy.” While discussing a case in which “a 17-year-old high school senior was charged with sexual assault for having sex with an underage girl in the school’s band room,” State Rep. Roger Rivard (R) told the Chetek Alert newspaper in December that his father taught him that some girls will portray a sexual encounter as rape if they become pregnant. He is now claiming that those remarks were taken out of context and has issued a statement condemning sexual violence:

On Wednesday, Rivard told the Journal Sentinel the article did not provide full context of his comments and that his father’s exact words had been slightly different from how they appeared in the Chetek Alert.

He told the Journal Sentinel that his father had advised him not to have premarital sex, and he took that seriously.

“He also told me one thing, ‘If you do (have premarital sex), just remember, consensual sex can turn into rape in an awful hurry,’ ” Rivard said. “Because all of a sudden a young lady gets pregnant and the parents are madder than a wet hen and she’s not going to say, ‘Oh, yeah, I was part of the program.’ All that she has to say or the parents have to say is it was rape because she’s underage. And he just said, ‘Remember, Roger, if you go down that road, some girls,’ he said, ‘they rape so easy.’

“What the whole genesis of it was, it was advice to me, telling me, ‘If you’re going to go down that road, you may have consensual sex that night and then the next morning it may be rape.’ So the way he said it was, ‘Just remember, Roger, some girls, they rape so easy. It may be rape the next morning.’

“So it’s been kind of taken out of context.”

Ok...My point is: So what if the comment was taken a little bit out of context? I understand that this was "advice" given by the lawmaker's father, but is this type of statement really what a public figure should be speaking?

It seems rather disrespectful to women in general, and not really a true indicator of how most rapes occur.

What does everyone think?...Was this a harmful statement?...or, just a lawmaker telling the advice of his father?
edit on 11-10-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I have been saying this for years.
I'm moving to Wisconsin soon.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth
I have been saying this for years.
I'm moving to Wisconsin soon.

Good for you! I'm sure you'll fit right in.
edit on 11-10-2012 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
no freedom of speech for officials, got it.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dnepropetrovsk
no freedom of speech for officials, got it.

It's only fair isn't it? No free speach for anyone! If we can't have it, why should they!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Women rape too easy?

How #ed up is that statement. .

Lets blame the girl, not the law, right?
I understand its a taboo subject but when both consent to sex and she gets pregnant, they both have to be held responsible - Its the law that classes this as rape, hardly ever the two people involved. (in these said situations)

Like the OP, its 'easier' (term used very lightly) for the girl to get out of this situation, by throwing the blame onto the male - but its a very bold term to use "women get raped to easy" I think the lawyer has a point, but one that he completely took out of context. I think how he should of come across was that women are able to pass the blame on too fast, due to the law - Nothing else.

This is a very, very taboo subject..
edit on 11-10-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
We are looking to move and I always search the sex offender database to see who might be around in an area we are considering. I can almost tell by the mugshot what the crime was. Old men seem to always be convicted of child molestation. Young men are almost always convicted of statutory rape. The ones you would cross the street if you saw coming toward you are the ones that are convicted of aggravated rape or worse.

It seems like we as a society send very mixed signals. The culture seems to want teenagers to have sex and society seems to not care about that but the law still sees it as statutory rape. I bet though only 5% of the offenders are ever arrested and convicted. We are the point of almost having to filter those crimes out when considering where to move because its so prevalent.

Anyway, I think it is probably badly worded but sound advice from a father to a son that might be getting mixed up in the wrong scenes/crowd.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

What does everyone think?

That he and Todd Akin (says only some rapes are "legitimate" and womens bodies shut down and prevent pregnancy during rape) should hold hands and take a long walk off a short pier.
edit on 10/11/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by HUMBLEONE
Good for you! I'm sure you'll fit right in.

"Fit right in"

Hahahaaa. Now thats punny.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This is a real stupid thing to say as a politician. However, his dad is absolutely right. Go ahead everyone, get offended and indignant. The fact is that this does happen. My dad gave me eerily similar advice when I was much younger. Naturally not all rapes are of this type, but some consentual encounters DO get reported as rape. Even if both participants are of legal age.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111
but some consentual encounters DO get reported as rape. Even if both participants are of legal age.

...and not just by the girl but but by the parents which was my point. Both sides could be emulating what they've seen on 90% of television, movies, music but the parents may not be so thrilled and the guy will get convicted. If the girl gets pregnant its a near guarantee because it cannot be hidden without a hidden abortion and I would not be surprised if a lot of those abortions were meant to protect the guy more than solve the 'baby' dilemma.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
Women rape too easy?

How #ed up is that statement. .

Lets blame the girl, not the law, right?
I understand its a taboo subject but when both consent to sex and she gets pregnant, they both have to be held responsible - Its the law that classes this as rape, hardly ever the two people involved. (in these said situations)

Like the OP, its 'easier' (term used very lightly) for the girl to get out of this situation, by throwing the blame onto the male - but its a very bold term to use "women get raped to easy" I think the lawyer has a point, but one that he completely took out of context. I think how he should of come across was that women are able to pass the blame on too fast, due to the law - Nothing else.

This is a very, very taboo subject..
edit on 11-10-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

Have you seen some of the girls that are 15 and sixteen these days. I had a friend that had this issue 15 year old told him she was 18 they had sex when they broke up she used it as a weapon and said he raped her. O and your quoting that wrong it wasnt women get raped to easy it was some girls rape easy which could have meant cry rape. Get one little word

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

i think what he said is true, sadley, lot shady people these days

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I really don't seen anything to get upset about. This is true, there are girls out there that will try to cry rape even if it was consensual at the time. The fact of the matter is, you have to be careful. There are always people who know how to game the system, and rape is no exception. I have more problem with the girls who do this then the guy who says some words of wisdom that his father gave him when he was young about this subject. It may sound bad out of context, but if you read what is said it is clear that he shouldn't be called out for this. Could he have worded it better? Sure, but that's besides the point.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I think a few things..

I think its a very sensitive subject.

I think his dad basically tried to tell him something like - "Son, be careful. A girl might change her story to say you forced her if she gets pregnant or you to are caught or something. So maybe you might want to wait to have sex." Basically a dad trying to put some fear into his son that this could happen to keep him from having sex at an early age or to steer him away from casual sex.

I think the guy try to relate that story.

I think both the guy and his dad picked the worst words possible to relay the message.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I don't disagree.

Some girls like the attention, want the "sex", etc etc... but afterwards, they feel guilty and cry rape.

This ISN'T new to anyone.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
I don't disagree.

Some girls like the attention, want the "sex", etc etc... but afterwards, they feel guilty and cry rape.

This ISN'T new to anyone.

and with the way that the law is slanted towards women, the man is usually convicted. Any time someone tries to bring this up, they end up being smeared like the person who is the subject of this thread.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It's a shame that lawmakers can't set a better example for our children.

"Some girls rape easily"

If you're going to make a fool of yourself, at least use good grammar.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I don't have an issue with what this one has said. I tell my nephews all the time they have to be careful what girls they are messing with. Because yes what he is describing does in fact happen. That being said however the police are fairly good at detecting a BS story from a real rape.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

This is really whats wrong with our country anyone says something thats not politically correct and it gets turned into something outrageous or that its not. Whats worse the younger generation doesnt seem to know there past, I remember after the earth quake and tsunami in Japan what teenagers were posting on there facebooks and it was just sad. They got what was coming they dont need our help this and that because of pearl harbor. Doesnt seem like any of them remebered the fact we dropped two atomic bombs on them after that killing not only military but also civilians. My point is if the young people cant even properly remember history then stuff like this is getting work out of proportion is just a circus get it together people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join