It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cosmic rays offer clue our universe could be a computer simulation

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

"Reality" begins with perception. Our perception is via our senses which are processed via the brain.

We have no way of knowing what our world looks like, tastes like, smells like, feels like, sounds like. Our brain may be completely misleading us because it has been programmed to do so. How would we ever know otherwise?

What is real? It's anyone's guess. Maybe none of this is. Maybe we're just a bunch of gas in a tube on a lab bench in front of some alien.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx

"Reality" begins with perception. Our perception is via our senses which are processed via the brain.

We have no way of knowing what our world looks like, tastes like, smells like, feels like, sounds like. Our brain may be completely misleading us because it has been programmed to do so. How would we ever know otherwise?

What is real? It's anyone's guess. Maybe none of this is. Maybe we're just a bunch of gas in a tube on a lab bench in front of some alien.

when i say,,, what is "real"... i dont mean which part of reality is real,.,.,.,. im saying,,, absolutely,.,,. in any reality,,, in any universe,, in any existence,,, what makes something real,, and something else that exists not real?

reality does not begin with perception.,.,..... if no human were alive,,, no perception,,,, realty would still exist exactly as it is,,,,,,, if humans were alive,,, and they perceive it correct or incorrect,,, or slightly correct,,, or a tiny bit correct,,,, reality still exists exactly as it is....

those things like senses,, are your brain playing tricks on you,,, something will taste different for you and a cat,,, because your sensory apparatus' are different,,, the controlled sample ( the thing you are tasting) is a part of reality,,, unbiased and exactly as it is..,

one of the most interesting one to me is sight,,.,,. the fact that when you open your eyes you can see what is around you,.,.. even though you are contained in your body,, and your conscious command center is somewhere behind your eyes,,, so you take a constant video stream of external reality and it is holographically projected in your mind in real time,,,

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

That's some rut you're stuck in. I'm sorry. I can't make the blind see.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

Along those lines, it is interesting to note that different animals see / smell / hear things differently. A fly sees things in sort of pixels and waves hence it can detect movement faster than humans, some creatures are practically blind though interpret their surroundings from other senses.

Some sea creatures use their lateral line to detect electromagnetic waves, some use sonar etc to interpret their version of reality. This sort of proves that there are alternate perceived 'realities' here on earth. There is no way for these creatures to alternate their sensory mechanisms to completely comprehend the perceived realities of other species, so there is no way of knowing fully about the extent of realities outwith their own.

There could be a huge variation between the perceived reality of humanity and that of a programming species, or there could be multiple perceptions of reality and time frames right here right now on earth that humanity is completely oblivious to, due to the parameters of their perception mechanisms.
edit on 12-10-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx

That's some rut you're stuck in. I'm sorry. I can't make the blind see.

That's some rut you're stuck in. I'm sorry. I can't make the blind see

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Ok, lets all sit down and have a glass of red wine and think this silliness over a bit. So God himself decided on a no-day afternoon he became bored. So he log-on his computer and decide to program the universe through his Ultra-mega-super-duper unlimited processor computer and created all of this?? (Sorry NSA your computers nothing on him)

Get the heck out of here with this!!. Where do people come up with this stuff??!!

Sorry OP, this is not on you, you're reporting this.

The human mind is something else!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

edit on 12-10-2012 by sylent6 because: double reply..delete

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
Ok, lets all sit down and have a glass of red wine and think this silliness over a bit. So God himself decided on a no-day afternoon he became bored. So he log-on his computer and decide to program the universe through his Ultra-mega-super-duper unlimited processor computer and created all of this?? (Sorry NSA your computers nothing on him)

Get the heck out of here with this!!. Where do people come up with this stuff??!!

Actually, the concept of God wouldn't necessarily play any part of this.

It's a philosophical question, more than anything else -- how could you prove that this reality is real, and not just a simulation.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Actually, the concept of God wouldn't necessarily play any part of this.

It's a philosophical question, more than anything else -- how could you prove that this reality is real, and not just a simulation.

actually the simulation would fall nicely into the deffiniton of god..... unless noone made the simulation,,, and noone is watching the simulation.....

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

the universe is a ultra- mega- super-duper unlimited processor computer..... what else would it be?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I've been posting this alot. We're in a computerized type of situaton, entered into a dream lab school. We study and learn and then leave No Time or our perception of reality into a alternative time zone, programming, simulated reality school, interactive, and within it, in programs like earth we lose our memory and are in practicums, making the lessons real.

We claimed to be artists of love, we were to grow our love and work on our weaknesses. But this school has been hijacked and has been allowed still to operate as a harder realm, and to try and wake up others and free them, but now people will be freed.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Now come on. I gave a pretty good alternative to ponder, and you brushed that off. If we are a simulation, what's to say the program's not being run in, say, 15,238, and we just think it's 2012 because that's the active part of the program at the moment? Leave god out of it, and ponder that. Maybe it's really 13,000 years in the future and we're an extinct planet and an extinct culture, only existing in a program in machine's historical archives. Maybe we're not even supposed to be self-aware. Maybe it was a coding glitch that morphed into self-awareness over who knows how many years and patches. Heck, for all we know, this is ET's futuristic Wikipedia, some alien kiddo studying Earth History 101. The point is we don't really know, unless we figure out how to look for any possible clues to back up the theory. Then again, it's just a theory & we all could be plain silly to ponder it, but at least we're pondering the idea in the first place. If we can think outside the box, we can turn around & see in it a little better.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
A lot of people here are confusing what the article in the OP refers to regarding "simulation".

Simulation is the only term usable within our frame of reference to describe the theory as a whole. Don't make the mistake of confusing the article with saying all life is meaningless and a game, this is simply expressing more validity for the existence of a soul separated but engaged inside a physical playground where certain processes and laws are carried out with what we would coin "Computer-like" precision.

Nobody is actually saying there is a god with a computer lol, ( but again, how we would disprove that? )

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpacebumZaphod
My question is though: If the universe is a holographic computer program, who programed and controls the simulation?

See my signature

David Icke provides some good insight of a possible reality with the Saturn-moon-matrix theory. This theory basically enhances the simulation theory by explaining Saturn is the broadcaster, the moon is the amplifier, and the earth is receiving a frequency which creates what our mind perceives as "reality".

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Ahh. All the Nazis at physics forums are no fun. I was hoping there would be some actual scientific discussion here so we could be a little loose.

Hoped in vain I see.

To maybe help discussion along, what about the collapse of the wave function. A computer simulation works just like that. It starts rendering the picture once we look at it, but with no observation everything exists in a superimposed state of probability. Nothing actually renders until we look at it. Kinda like a computer simulation?
edit on 13-10-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
If we live in a simulation, i think the only way out s enlightenment, or perhaps physical death releases you from the physical dimensions and you get to see behind the veil.

This is *exactly* the point here!

Go look at NDEs and/or other spiritual experiences, heck, even "alien abductions"!

You will find a stunning number of similarities in all those accounts, and I am really meaning "STUNNING". There is a common theme there, that is, that "beyond" this physical "reality" there is the "real" reality, revealing our physical reality as some sort of test/play.

There is common reports about encounters with, yes, entities (our creators??) and, what stunned me most, how many people having such experiences realize (is being shown/revealed) that our life is merely some sort of...let's say, pre-arranged illusion/scenario serving a very special purpose.

From that point of view the notion that our life is sort of a "simulation" makes actually sense...i mean it would maybe sound too "far out" and esoteric otherwise...but the fascinating thing is how such an idea goes so perfectly with all those spiritual experiences ... coincidence?
edit on 13-10-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

." It starts rendering the picture once we look at it, but with no observation everything exists in a superimposed state of probability. Nothing actually renders until we look at it. Kinda like a computer simulation?"

i dont believe the universe works like this.,.,..,

that would mean that you dont exist right now,,, because i am not looking at you.....

heres another example,.,.,. lets assume there is in another galaxy a race of intelligent aliens similar to us,.,.,.
according to you,,, our planet does not exist in the universe because they are not seeing it..,,.,.

i conquered your logic when i was 2 and learned peek a boo was just a game

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
Outside of the simulation, there might be no such thing as time, and it's merely a variable in our simulation.

I want to point out some VERY interesting (and actually quite funny) bits i found in several NDE accounts.
In a classic NDE (at least in some), people was shown "their life like in a movie strip" and they needed to go back to their life since "it was not time yet" [eg. they still had to fulfill whatever purpose] - and a number of people sounded like they had a choice of what point in their life to return. (Similar as to how i can decide to watch a movie from any desired point). So, yes, if we speculate that our reality is a simulation, we can also assume that the "time" therein is.

To top this up, this entire philosophical debate would go even further, MUCH, MUCH further....let's just say that one very (!) common spiritual experience is that people experience everything as "being one"....and also reported having realized they don't actually not live "one" life, but possibly all of them....possible not only human life, but life "as a whole" including everything existing, animals, plants etc..etc..

Yes THIS rabbit hole goes VERY deep!

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Long ago it was angels and demons and heaven and hell.

Then it was darwin and evolution.

Then it was aliens.

Now it's simulated reality.

Etc.

Now I made a lot of assumptions in these comments.

But I do think that because we use computers so much and have just started making programs for them in the past 60 years, it's too convenient for us to start imagining reality is computerized. We're showing NO imagination. We're relying strictly on what's in front of us. Clueless we're, I tell you.

I include myself in my criticism. I too am subject to this prejudice.

I think it's far more plausible that we just don't know yet. Like some stupid ant.

Nevertheless, I applaud people doing real science to figure things out. If it weren't for people doing real things, well, we'd be stuck in the mud and probably extinct and unremembered.
edit on 13-10-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman
If that's true, then there should be a point where we start to bump up against the edges of the simulator, like Jim Carrey's character escaping from The Truman Show

orrr.....

like that kid on the dirt bike smashin into the wall in "Cabin In The Woods"!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join