It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nyiragongo Crater: Journey to the Center of the World.... Worlds largest Lava lake....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I found this while browsing today and thought others would be interested in the spectacle!

Fascinating article, with incredible pictures....

I've climbed into a volcano crator myself, but would go nowhere near one this active!

The first few pictures are stunning,,, then you see the actual size of the lake with a nearby human for reference... blew me away!

Enjoy....

www.boston.com...

PA

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Holy Crap!!!!

I see what you mean! A little more perspective with each pic. Then you see the guy, next to the crater....and I needed to change my pants.

Awesome

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Incredible images! I'm sure I saw this on a documentary earlier in the year or last year? Maybe Planet Earth on the BBC.

It takes some cajones to get that close!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectAnomoly

Beautiful pictures! Have been to several volcanoes in the Hawaiian islands but couldn't get that close. I would absolutely LOVE to be able to get that close to the "action"! Dangerous? Yes- but couldn't pass up such a wonderful opportunity, dangerous or not. It would be a once in a lifetime celebration and one more thing to cross off the bucket list!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenAlot

Bit of a surprise isn't it! I thought they would be able to stand at the edge of the lake and just "have a look" over the top... It's immense!

PA

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

As I said I've been in a volcanic crator in Indonesia.... that was barely active, and still damn hot!

I can't imagine the sort of temperatures they are dealing with at such close proximity.... staggering.

PA

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Wow! Those pictures are truly amazing! Its scary and beautiful at the same time. They risk their lives for this. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Not sure if these vids have been posted before. They were filmed at a different volcano, but it's incredible to watch the raw power on display, and courage

Longer version here...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Excellent pics. S&F. I can only imagine the power that created this crater (when it exploded back in time). Everything is blown outwards 1300 feet high. Very interesting.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Oh my goodness, that was freaking awesome!

That dude deserves a fireproof wheelbarrow to tote around the pair he's carrying!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Is this the volcano where Eos lives in Wilbur Smiths historical fiction novel "The Quest"

Great photos & great book series. River God series is the best book series I have read hands down.
Thanks for the article!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
That is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Once again, it makes me realize how awesome tihs planet is. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

omg. i can't believe it. there is this article and heaps of pictures, but nowhere is mentioned, what the actual size is. it varies, they say, but from what to what ?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
did they dive in?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
OMG, this is an amazing photo spread! Hats off to those bold enough to even consider descending into it

Is it just me, or does photo #21 look like some of the wisps of smoke/gas resemble human forms?? THAT'S spooky.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Wow! That is most certainly one of the few things i'd never EVER want to go near. Some things in this world should just be left alone. Great stuff though, wonderful pictures. Crazy stuff too, some damn fearless people to go there.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Great Find! Thankyou for sharing!

S & F

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Flag for the Link - Star for your Avatar

Thanks for Sharing - Great Pics

* Ned

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Damn their some great pictures! I'm surprised they could climb back up the mountain with balls so big!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Balls of diamond not steel are required to adventure that close to instant death.

Just blows my mind the sheer power and wonder of this planet. if only we could work with it instead of against it.

Awesome post thanks for sharing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join