It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi eases access to long-hidden ancient ruins

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I would love to swing by some of these sites, they look fantastic.

Kind of sad they have been hidden for so long, but cool they are "maybe" opening them for western tourist, even though it sounds a little dangerous

Click for further details

AL-HIJR, Saudi Arabia — Fully draped in a black veil, Irish blonde Angela Miskelly stares out in awe as she strolls through Al-Hijr, the ancient Saudi city of tombs carved into rose-coloured sandstone mountains.
"Spectacular... wonderful... breathtaking," she says. "But where are the tourists? If we had a site like this in my country, we would have millions of tourists!"
Dating back to the second century BC, the Nabataean archaeological site, also known as Madain Saleh, has long been hidden from foreign visitors in this ultra-conservative kingdom that rarely opens up to tourists.
Saudi Arabia is thought to have been wary of archaeologists and scientists seeking to study its ancient ruins for fear their findings could shine the spotlight on pre-Islamic civilisations that once thrived there.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Fascinating ~

all cultures derive from an ancient heritage which we unconsciously live through at the moment, unwittingly retracing their steps to full recognition of historical repetition

∞LOVE

mayallsoulsbefree∞

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Very cool
I've always wondered why Saudi keeps its ancient history and archeology so quiet and hidden from the masses
Hopefully a lot more of stuff like this to come

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I love visiting ancient sites too bad it's in the middle of crazyville.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This is real cool, they were built by the same people that built Petra in Jordan. I have always been interested in Saudi Arabian history ever since I found what looked to be ancient bronze short sword while skin diving in the Persian gulf around 1992 while living there while my stepdad was working for Saudi Aramco I wish i still had it. I was too scared to try and take it back to the state because of most countries laws on removing stuff like that from its country of origin.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I would love to see one of these sites and wonder at how it was done and why!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Amazing!

When I saw this I thought of Petra. I love places like this. The architecture of our ancestors is just beautiful. I love how the ancients constructed their buildings and temples. Just beautiful!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I love architecture built into natural landforms, these are amazing.

Arabia has a great cultural history and a lot of historical sites. For example, it is little known that Oman is home to believed burial sites of the Virgin Mary and Job.

I've said this before on ATS: one of the best opportunities for promoting peace between Islam and the West is for Westerners to travel more throughout the region. If conflict can simmer down a bit, this would be a great strategy for helping them economically and building a friendly relationship. Also, traveling through Arabia would benefit anyone from the standpoint of first hand knowledge.
edit on 10/11/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

I visited this site in 1993 while working at Yanbu, nice site, but only for a few hours. At that time I was tracing the Hejaz railroad during a trip up to Tabuk
edit on 11/10/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Is'nt dening access to information that might prove your beliefs wrong basically admiting you know your beliefs are full of crap? If you know your religion is garbage why would you attempt to protect it anyway?

That includes what ever the Pope is hiding under his pillow
edit on 11-10-2012 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

It is cut so perfectly but the inside picture the floor is all uneven, how strange.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Sorry but this is a ridiculous article. Make note that you're pretty much quoting 'some guy'. I've actually been to madaa'in saalih last year on a road trip with a few of my friends and we took tons of pictures. As foreigners, I can say for myself that this article isn't true.

I could post a few pics if I find out how to.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

edit on 11-10-2012 by chaztekno because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
reply to post by Mianeye

Is'nt dening access to information that might prove your beliefs wrong basically admiting you know your beliefs are full of crap? If you know your religion is garbage why would you attempt to protect it anyway?

That includes what ever the Pope is hiding under his pillow
edit on 11-10-2012 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

How is allowing people into this site proving their religion wrong? The Muslims never claimed Islam has been around forever.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I didnt think the Saudi's ever had restrictions on this place ??. There are some awesome rocks around this place and one called elephant rock which is a natural formation which does look like an elephant (Google it). Any way yes I can see wht the Saudi's may be be a bit precious because Mohammad "was" a Nabatean Arab and lived in this area before migrating to Medina (Yathrib) Mo never lived where Mecca is located today !!!!!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by fishwhisperer

Actually Mohammed was from Mecca but he and his followers were kicked out after he started islam then he moved to Medina where islam blossomed. Then with his new followers and supporters he reconquered Mecca. As far as him being of Nabatean descent I do not know. He did travel all over in his youth with his uncle a merchant/trader.
edit on 11-10-2012 by geldib because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by geldib

Actually Mohammed was from Mecca but he and his followers were kicked out after he started islam then he moved to Medina where islam blossomed. Then with his new followers and supporters he reconquered Mecca. As far as him being of Nabatean descent I do not know. He did travel all over in his youth with his uncle a merchant/trader.

Yes he was from Mecca...but Mecca was not where it is today !!. PETRA is Mohammads Mecca and the geography contained in the Koran and the Hadith say so. The Nabateans are the ones that did all the trade caravaning.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
for me this looks kind of advanced for ancient man. the ancient alien crowd get my vote on this and other sites ie:

en.wikipedia.org...

www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

is anyone seeing a pattern here? ancient man was either smarter than today or we definitely had help

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by gaurdian2012

Was thinking along similar lines ....those look marvelously well built (the twin doors) i have some doubts an arab with a hammer and chisel made them.......Laser maybe................

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

I have never heard that mecca is not in its original location. I have very close ties to the mideast (my father is egyptian and raised me muslim.) Could you provide a source? Also the nabateans were not traders as in traveling ones, they controlled the oasis' along the trading routes in North Africa. You can find that info on google.(too hard to post a link from my cellphone.)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join