It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rover designed to drill for moon ice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
A spinoff company of Carnegie Mellon University is developing a solar powered rover to search for ice deposits on the Moon. Space-X would provide the launch vehicle according to the article.

U.S. scientists say they've built a full-size prototype of a solar-powered robot designed to search for potentially rich deposits of water ice on the moon. The rover, dubbed Polaris, is being developed by Astrobotic Technology Inc., a spinoff company of Carnegie Mellon University that develops robotics technology for planetary missions. www.upi.com...

The rover spin off company website is here.

astrobotic.net...

Got to be better than crashing satellites into craters.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I'm very excited about all these new startups with space exploration and utilization as their goal.
Its really awesome!
Now if the government would get their money out of desert warfare and put more of it in something worthwhile...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I agree and reading about all of the new space based start-ups is simply amazing to me. There are several civilian groups developing launch vehicles and a couple in the space port race. Exciting times for civilian space companies. There's talk of mining, research, and exploration that NASA seems indifferent to for some reason.

join