Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Why Can't We All Just Get Along?

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Wow, second rant in ten minutes. I'm on a roll.

I've noticed a nasty trend developing over the course of the last couple of weeks.....name calling and personal attacks are on the increase, it seems.

Seriously? Are we so juvenile that we have to ridicule someone's post?

I've read a couple of threads were the majority of replies disagree with the op. Nothing wrong with that, except those replies are senseless name calling and innuendo.

I realize that certain topics arouse a lot of passion, but is it truly necessary to call someone names to get a point across? I think not.

Come on, ATS. Let's play nice, okay?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Yeah, I've noticed this as well.

But I'm a liar, so why should you believe me?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Sorry couldn't resist.

But agreed, no need for name calling, constructive criticism is the name of the game, or at least it should be here on ATS

Namaste.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I'm a meber which abides by the rules of - If you have nothing ncie to say, or it isnt contructive - Then don't say anything at all.

I see too many one-liners that are directed to one sentance of a 1,000 word thread, its pretty silly and shouldnt be allowed as it often stears the thread in a direction which the OP didn't intend on it going. Although, I do understand that sometimes it only takes one sentance, or even one word to sum up some threads, but the amount of mild trolling is just unnecessary.

I'm not going to name drop, but when it comes to political threads I know one or two members with high stars that come in and drop liners that are just blatenty posted for stars as they only just keep onto the subject matter.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I agree with you smyleegrl, I too have noticed an upswing of this type of reply. I have also noticed an upswing in using foul language as well. Certain words used to cause posts to be removed but it seems this type of wording is slowly being accepted to the point where it is common place and occasionally I see the same people who used to remove those posts using them themselves.Maybe they have never been on the foul language list and people are begining to realize they can use them so they do more often, I don't know, it just bothers me. I don't understand this behavior as I thought ATS was a place of intelligent people with vocabularies that surpassed the need to use foul language or result to name calling.
edit on 11-10-2012 by Agarta because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I think ATS is attracting more attention... lots of kids around with 4chan attitudes.

If you see a name calling, check out the registered date, i noticed many registered accounts after around 04/2012, seems to be the case.. but thats my observation, also... im not saying all of them are, i know many are long time lurkers.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Why Can't We All Just Get Along?

'cause we are being divided more and more recently.

There is much chaos and deficiency in very corner of the world.

There are much war threatening every day.

And I am not very professional in controlling my feeling.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
I agree with you smyleegrl, I to have noticed an upswing of this type of reply. I have also noticed an upswing in using foul language as well. Certain words used to cause posts to be removed but it seems this type of wording is slowly being accepted to the point where it is common place and occasionally I see the same people who used to remove those posts using them themselves.Maybe they have never been on the foul language list and people are begining to realize they can use them so they do more often, I don't know, it just bothers me. I don't understand this behavior as I thought ATS was a place of intelligent people with vocabularies that surpassed the need to use foul language or result to name calling.

yes, seems like there's a lot more profanity now than there used to be. I'm not a prude, but I don't care to read the profanity and the name calling. This isn't youtube, after all.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Yeah, I've noticed this as well.

But I'm a liar, so why should you believe me?

Hmph... you are a liar when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east!

But to the OP, yes.. it does seem that personal attacks are on the rise. I expect that to subside when the elections are over as the majority of these name calling tactics that I've seen are in the political threads. I don't believe I've ever seen so many in my life over the topic of politics. BOOOOOO!

In all honesty once the name calling begins and the attempt is made to discredit, silence or degrade another the battle by the person who has stooped to this level has been lost. Some of the best conversations I've had on here are with people who have a differing opinion than my own and have kept the conversation civil in the process. I thank those folks for that because in the process they have taught me things I had previously not known and I can only hope I've done the same for them at some point.

new topics

top topics

join