It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fisherman attacked by French say 'bring in the navy'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Up to fifty French shipping vessels surrounded five British fishing vessels that were legally fishing in French waters.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Apparently the French boats tried to damage equipment and generally intimidate the British vessels.
A French fishing protection vessel refused to intervene in what appears to be calculated and premeditated action.

In what seems to me like a some what laid back and dismissive tone French authorities are said to be "continuing to monitor the situation".

Fishing vessels from The Netherlands, France and Spain are a daily sight in British Territorial Waters as part of the Common Fisheries Policy - to such an extent that the British fishing industry is in decline, (of course some of this is down to depleted stocks due to over fishing etc).

en.wikipedia.org...

Many here in the UK will feel that this is yet another example of how pro-France EU policy and how British interests always tend to be secondary to those of continental Europe.

I wonder what sort of practical support other than waffle and spin Cameron will offer our under pressure fishermen?

I suspect that the less than diplomatic approach I would certainly recommend would be a damn sight more effective than Cameron's empty rhetoric - but let's hope I'm wrong and have to eat some humble pie.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Hmmm, sounds like something from that dispute over the islands between China, Japan and Taiwan. Just replace China with France, Japan with UK.

Did THAT dispute sound reasonable? Or even mature? Nope. It was at least unnecessary.

And as long as we haven't heard WHY the French ships surrounded the British, we should not fall to prejudice, I think.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I say bring in the navy too, and have the HMS Victorious/Ajax/Prince of Wales/whatever kick some nautical butt on those Gaullic would-be pirates and sea-hooligans. Of course, I don't know how NATO Naval Command would handle the situation with member nations attacking each other, but it would certainly make for bloody-good reality t.v., eh what?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
And I guess the lads in the City are having a good laugh over this,
already anticipating a rise in fish prices ahead of the hollydays.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Ah come on, lets have some small-scale nuclear war on high seas, how about that?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

React violently next time. We all know the French like to run!
Voila, safe fishing rights for the foreseeable..........

Typical reaction from French authorities. Could you imagine their reaction if this was the other way round?

Or maybe dress the fishing boats as recruitment centres for the French Army - come here and sign up for Afghanistan!

Sorry mate, i have to see the trivial side of this to prevent from boiling over at more French double standards.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

to such an extent that the British fishing industry is in declin

The reason British fisheries are in decline is because we have taken far too many fish from the seas and oceans.. Not because of French fishing boats...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Sounds like both parties (French & English) are competing over the dwindling resource to make a living. I dont blame any of them for getting hot under the collar trying to defend their source of income.

The above applies to both sides, I am taking no sides here.

As time progresses we will see similar incidents. Next time it could be farmers fighting over the last bit of fertile land.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Hmmm, sounds like something from that dispute over the islands between China, Japan and Taiwan. Just replace China with France, Japan with UK.

Actually it's nothing at all like that dispute.

Both France and the UK are full and equal members of the EU.
Part of EU legislation is the Common Fisheries Treaty which tries to prevent over-fishing, allots fishing quota's etc.

And as long as we haven't heard WHY the French ships surrounded the British, we should not fall to prejudice, I think.

No, your right - but for once I'll venture an educated guess and for what it's worth offer a public apology if Im wrong.
In light of dwindling income they will be protesting about British fishermen trawling / fishing in what is French territorial waters - as such they feel they should have priority in their grounds.

Now that may seem fair and reasonable.
But what you have to factor in is that French fishermen in turn take full advantage of being allowed to fish in UK Territorial Waters in accordance with the CFT.
To make matters worse that policy is rigourously enforced by UK fishing authorites whilst the UK fishing industry is in decline.
Britsh fishermen frequently have to stay at home and watch continental Europeans fish their waters.
Essentially the French want the best of both world's - protect their waters whilst using other's.

The situation is obviously aggravated by apparent French indifference and reluctance to protect the UK fishermen.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrysalis

And I guess the lads in the City are having a good laugh over this,
already anticipating a rise in fish prices ahead of the hollydays.

No doubt - and in light of the imminent significant rise in other food prices someone stands to make a killing - all whilst the ordinary, hard working people - including fishermen - suffer.

reply to post by Flavian

Sorry mate, i have to see the trivial side of this to prevent from boiling over at more French double standards.

Your spot on in your observations.

And the ability to see humour in any given situation is one of our greatest national attributes.

Having previously being rebuked for my apparent 'anti-French' and 'anti-EU' predisposition I'm trying my best to resist and to merely prevent the facts - but it's hard.

reply to post by purplemer

The reason British fisheries are in decline is because we have taken far too many fish from the seas and oceans.. Not because of French fishing boats...

Not just British fisheries but most fisheries, French included.

That is one of the basic roles of the CFT - to ensure an equal share for all member nations and their respective industries and fleets whilst maintaining stocks.

The problem here seems to be the French wanting to protect their resources whilst share in other's.

Obviously measures need to be taken worldwide to protect fishing stocks.

The thing is, historically the EU has always pandered to French interests and treat the UK with total disdain.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Actually it's nothing at all like that dispute.

Both France and the UK are full and equal members of the EU.
Part of EU legislation is the Common Fisheries Treaty which tries to prevent over-fishing, allots fishing quota's etc.

No, your right - but for once I'll venture an educated guess and for what it's worth offer a public apology if Im wrong.
In light of dwindling income they will be protesting about British fishermen trawling / fishing in what is French territorial waters - as such they feel they should have priority in their grounds.

Now that may seem fair and reasonable.
But what you have to factor in is that French fishermen in turn take full advantage of being allowed to fish in UK Territorial Waters in accordance with the CFT.
To make matters worse that policy is rigourously enforced by UK fishing authorites whilst the UK fishing industry is in decline.
Britsh fishermen frequently have to stay at home and watch continental Europeans fish their waters.
Essentially the French want the best of both world's - protect their waters whilst using other's.

The situation is obviously aggravated by apparent French indifference and reluctance to protect the UK fishermen.

Difficult situation, if you look at it from the legal point of view.
Personally, I could fully understand BOTH sides, depending on which ship I would sail (drive? sit on? sorry, words are failing me right now..
). The UK (not British, my fault) do have the right of way and fishing, and the French might think that the UK-Crews are overfishing their estuary.

We will see what happens.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Ideally I'd like to see the French and UK fishermen get together, come to some mutual agreement that allows both sets of fishermen to earn a living whilst preserving stocks and then tell the EU to beat it - but that just isn't going to happen.

Here's an up to date version of events, including the French perspective.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Hopefully common sense prevails, (if only it was common), and this proves to be nothing but an isolated incident.

As an aside - the apparent inactivity shown by the French protection vessel tends to partially vindicate concerns over the proposed closer links etc between the UK and French navies.
edit on 11/10/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join