It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Almost Killed Someone Today

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This morning i was out for a walk wearing dark pants and a dark top when a car going approximately 45 mph headed straight towards me and almost killed me. When i turned to look who was in the car i saw some kid and he was shouting about a 'lobster of doom' or something and then i saw his mother in the driver's seat waving an empty bottle of jack daniels around in the air. the roads are getting more and more dangerous with each passing day...
edit on 11-10-2012 by sweetooth because: i think i am dyselxic

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Now that everyone has beat the pedestrian up like a dead horse, how about we beat on the other driver for swerving into your lane.

I'm sure they were probably texting or screwing with their radio, or coffee, or better yet, putting their make-up on.

OP, as I understand this has freaked you out...you are 100% not at fault and you did the absolute best to protect yourself and your family while driving, which is more important than some fool walking in the dark in dark clothing or the jackwagon that crossed the center line because they weren't doing what they were suppose to, 'which is watching the road.'

S&F for your rant. I've had this rant many of times living out in the country as well. And for the life of me I will never understand why they don't walk against traffic and why they don't have some sort of reflective material to tell drivers they are on the road.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

Originally posted by Samuelis
Why would I wear reflectors when I'm out creepin at night?
Stay on your part of the road and we'll all survive!

I think as someone who would lose the fight between 2 tons of metal and a body... the motive is for you to not get hit...

I don't trust anyone. Why would I trust people I don't know in big fast moving metal boxes?

Just because it's illegal to shoot someone doesn't mean you won't get shot.
Just because it's illegal to drink and drive doesn't mean millions don't do it.
Just because there is a road doesn't mean a car will stay on it.

It's in YOUR best interest to:

Stay Alert,
Stay Alive.

You've got that in a nutshell! Instead of expecting others to consider YOUR safety,take responsibility yourself,I know that common sense seems to have gone out the window recently,but if you are walking on an unlit road which has no pavement(sidewalk),surely it doesn't take much thought to realise that it is your responsibility(if you want to remain unharmed) to take the neccessary precautions to keep yourself safe. Don't rely on anyone but yourself to keep you free from harm.
edit on 11-10-2012 by nake13 because: .

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetooth
This morning i was out for a walk wearing dark pants and a dark top when a car going approximately 45 mph headed straight towards me and almost killed me. When i turned to look who was in the car i saw some kid and he was shouting about a 'lobster of doom' or something and then i saw his mother in the driver's seat waving an empty bottle of jack daniels around in the air. the roads are getting more and more dangerous with each passing day...
edit on 11-10-2012 by sweetooth because: i think i am dyselxic

This just made my day....thanks for the smile. I really needed it!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Glad everyone was uninjured. Me, I'm kind of sick of these apparently suicidal people riding bicycles on the streets at night with no lights. Hey dummy, not only is that illegal, it's highly irresponsible and dangerous!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Ya I would have been pissed at both probably. Is there truly a correct way to walk on the streets? Is it with or against traffic. I've been told both ways for so long that I don't know which way is right. It makes sense to me to walk against traffic so you can see what is in front of you.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
sorry 'bout your mishap. i'm glad you kept your wits about you.
although i do walk a lot,i ride my bike way more.
every time i ride,its like i have a target on my back!
very few drivers even take the time to be aware about their surroundings.
i get hit,or almost hit A LOT!!!!
people turning,while looking the other way are very common.
the worst are the drivers who do see me,but think cars are way more important
than cyclists,so they just pull out in front of me,even though i have the right of way!
---" ya,i'm sory mr.driver,i forgot that wherever your going is much more important than my safety.
and i forgot that cars always have the right away over a mere bicycle.
silly me,why wouldn't they? they are much bigger!!!"

the best is when i almost get hit,and we both lock our brakes,and the driver smiles and waves me on like they are doing me a favor!!!
my response is always 'THANCKS A LOT YA %$&$#^% IDIOT!!!! LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!!!

again,i'm glad you had your senses about you and no one was hurt!

thanx for letting me rant,on your rant thread!!!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Holidakd

oh lets all bow down to the logic of a car driving idiot!!!
why don't you clowns obey the rules for driving while on YOUR road!!!!
i ride my bicycle on YOUR road every day,and it seems i'm the ONLY one following the rules of YOUR damn road!
why are us cyclist/pedestrians so frustrating?
cause we're all sick and tired of people like you who think they OWN the road,
and don't acknowledge anything else.
i seen a guy like you yelling his head off at another guy who was riding an electric scooter in town,on the road.
(which is tottaly legal.
he taunted this guy for a while to pull over,so he could show his girl how a macho guy with road rage
deals with scooter riders.
well he got his wish,the scooter guy stopped,got off his bike,went into his storage and pulled out a ball peen hammer and began smashing loud mouth macho guy with it till he was down and bleeding!
then he got back on his scooter and left.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I almost did that the other night too...

But I am really more intregued by this "lobster of doom".......what's up with that/??

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

You should have gotten the plates of the other car. If the driver hadn't been an idiot, there would never have been a problem with the pedestrian. The only reason you were forced to run that risk is because you were afraid you weren't safe in your own darn lane.

Freakin' drivers these days! I ride a bike, and my encounters with respectful drivers are few and far between. The best intersection I've seen in this general area, is by a Catholic school...how much do you wanna bet that if the vicinity wasn't known for the presence of small children, the drivers wouldn't be so courteous there? I'm not saying they should be careful of the children, I'm saying they should be courteous no matter what!

Just because I'm "some guy on a bike"!

edit on 11-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Involuntary vehicular manslaughter happens more than you know. A friend of mine hit someone on a rainy night in a similar circumstance.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander
But I am really more intregued by this "lobster of doom".......what's up with that/??

Ditto...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I went to Best Buy a few minutes ago, and on my way back somebody came within a hair of hitting me. She was in a clogged up fast lane and impatiently attempted to whip her car around the jam to get in my lane. She didn't check her blind spot. So close that I went ahead and braced myself for the hit, and was surprised when I didn't feel it. I hate that, man. I'm glad I didn't get hit, but I hate the consequential panic.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about the near collision.

We do not have any instinctive awareness / fear of cars even though they can kill so easily (we simply have not had the time to learn the fear). With everyone now wearing headphones, the only direction that the number of accidents will go is up.

In the UK,with cuts, kids simply are not taught any road sense. So here is a simple game/experiment to try with your young child.

- Ask him/her if a car is coming towards them how far would the car need to stop.Most kids would think that a car can stop instantaneously (no stopping distance not the 75 feet (or 6 cars!) .

- the statistics for road accidents is just scary

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Glad you and your son were OK. It seems so mundane but monumentally important to remind pedestrians to try and be seen. It's not about who is right or wrong or who is at fault. It's about wanting to live. If I go out at night my clothes will be bright and I do take a flashlight since in Alaska it's dark before I get off work in the winter.

"Go, and stick to the road...keep clear of the moors. Beware of the moon lads." - An American Werewolf in London

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Okay, some of you are interested in the " Lobster of Doom", so I'll explain.

I'm a storyteller, and it seems my son has inherited my love of telling stories. He tells them constantly. Usually, the stories are a mishmash of tv shows and stories I've read to him. But he does have some very.....unique stories that are his alone. One involves the evil Mr. Noodle and the brave hero, Spaghetti Sauce Man. The others center around the villain known as the LOBSTER OF DOOM (dum dum dummmmm). Yes, he really makes the dum dum dummmmm, sound effect after saying lobster of doom.

I've recorded him in the midst of a storytelling frenzy, maybe someday I will upload a video. 'Cause it is pretty funny.

So now you know about the Lobster of Doom

(Dum dum dummmmm,m,....)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Driving home, there was a bicyclist in traffic. He was wearing a reflective vest and driving very carefully. It was easy to see him...I wish others would do the same.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
These types of things could be prevented with thermal imagers, it's just too bad they are so expensive which makes it out of reach for the average consumer, although I think they will become cheaper as technology advances. They did have one in a cadillac, and a bmw I believe, but most could never afford one. One company did make an advancement in thermal imagers and stated they could bring down the price, although imaging technology like that most likely will be swallowed up by the military.

edit on 11-10-2012 by Freezer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I almost had this happen to me.

I was driving through the city on a faster road about 50mph limit (I was not speeding) all of the sudden a basketball comes bouncing into the street. It hits my car as I'm slamming on my brakes stopping, all of the sudden 3 hood rats maybe about 8-11 years old come running out into the road IN FRONT of my still moving car to get the basketball and I graze one of the boy's shirts with side mirror (still going about 20-30 mph at this point) finally my car comes to a stop. The stupid kids run up to my car and pound on the window and say "thanks for hitting our ball you f***ing idiot!!" and give me the middle finger. I was just in total disbelief that kids could be so stupid to run out into a moving car's path to get a basketball with total disregard for their safety (OR MINE) and then be mad at me and these are little pre-teens giving me the bird!!
Ohhhh, the world's a changing!

And it's not like they didn't see my car before going into the street, they saw my car and the best part is the other two boys that followed the first boy out into the road actually watched the first boy go out with a look of disbelief on their faces but still followed him anyway!

edit on 11-10-2012 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

SmyleeGrl, Glad to see that You, Your Child, The Pedestrian, and the Other Idiot Driver are ok. Near misses are indeed a scary event! Further down I saw a post from someone who nearly hit someone, and then got out to see if they were ok. Difficult situ here but I think if the person that was almost hit did NOT go down, I'm thinkin' it was DANGEROUS as Hell for them to get out to check the Ped! They could have been Mugged, Beaten, or KidNapped! Yah, these things do happen, so I would advise Extreme Caution when dealing with things like that. Just My Opinion of course, but I like to Error on the side of Caution.
Once again, Glad You and Yours are ok. Later, Syx.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join