It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Ridiculed For Using Food Stamps

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Let me play your little game for a bit.

There are plenty of hard working democrats and republicans who struggle to make ends meet without enrolling in the SNAP program regardless of how much the Federal govt. wants people to enroll. Some hard workers are too proud to enroll and end up working three jobs just to put food on the table. Then they go to the grocery store and get in line behind a customer with a buggy full of name brand items, body covered in expensive ink and talking on the latest i-phone/Obamaphone. Then they whip out their SNAP card to pay all to the dismay of the hard worker with a cart full of generics and a wallet light on cash in line behind them in line.

SNAP has become a way of life for people and its intent to cast a life line to those in need is long gone. Its been gone for decades. When food stamps were actually torn out of a little book of scrip people used to sell them for half the value to get cash in order to buy alcohol and cigarettes... Then the bargain hunting food stamp buyers would show up to the grocery store, fill multiple carts with food and sundries and pay with their fraudulent stamp purchase. I saw that plenty of times when I worked as an ACME grocery bagger in High School.

This woman was trying to buck the system by yelling the loudest. Common problem these days. I'm surprised that she failed to film herself...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Republicans/conservatives, like the OP says. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

It's not your money as soon as it gets taken out in taxes. Sorry. It doesn't belong to you anymore.

If the bank gives you a loan for a car you can’t go spend it on anything you want; you have to buy a car. There are conditions to receiving money. Again, if you don’t like it than get a JOB!

Believe me, if that was the case you wouldn't have gotten my tax money to go kill people in the military.

…Then you would have gotten your butt kicked here at home. You should be thankful some people care more about their country than themselves and their handouts.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

So funny. You call it an entitlement program, but whenever I do I'm what.. I have an "entitlement mentality."
And you damn sure will tell me what I can buy? Try to. I'm not arrogant, I just haven't lost my self respect and dignity when I lost the use of my feet. I don't feel entitled, but obviously [under the program] I am. I'm entitled to collect my disability, I'm entitled to live in dignity and have respect for myself & others.

I would never dream of sitting at my computer and judging a person/s or telling them the things that you just said to me. But make no mistake-I can handle it, I've been told much worse by much better.

No, I didn't hand over my rights when I became disabled, matter of fact I could be spiteful and imply that my rights were denied me that day.. but then that would be wrong too.

BTW~ I don't get food stamps, or anything under the program other than my disability check and access to medical care.. which is a great deal and I am very grateful. I could walk in today and would qualify for food stamps and if I needed them to survive, I would. I could qualify for many programs, but don't take what I don't need. If there comes a day that I need it-I will have to do what I need to do. People assume entirely too much.

edit on 11-10-2012 by RobinB022 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

lol, use some more republican talking points please, no on has ever heard them before.

There are plenty of hard working democrats and republicans who struggle to make ends meet without enrolling in the SNAP program regardless of how much the Federal govt. wants people to enroll.

Ok, and? Some people have to be on them or they cannot afford to eat. What don't you get about that? This woman is a good example. She cannot work and has to rely on her husbands income. You have to be in extreme poverty to even qualify to get them in the first place.

Some hard workers are too proud to enroll and end up working three jobs just to put food on the table.

And?

Then they go to the grocery store and get in line behind a customer with a buggy full of name brand items, body covered in expensive ink and talking on the latest i-phone/Obamaphone. Then they whip out their SNAP card to pay all to the dismay of the hard worker with a cart full of generics and a wallet light on cash in line behind them in line.

lol yes, all the time, every day.

SNAP has become a way of life for people and its intent to cast a life line to those in need is long gone.

No it hasn't, they don't even give you that much money...and you have to be in poverty to even qualify.

When food stamps were actually torn out of a little book of scrip people used to sell them for half the value to get cash in order to buy alcohol and cigarettes...

Relevance? This isn't 1970.

This woman was trying to buck the system by yelling the loudest. Common problem these days. I'm surprised that she failed to film herself...

Can you please tell me how she is trying to buck the system? lol, but thanks for saying that, so you prove my point in the OP even further.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobinB022
reply to post by NavyDoc

The food stamp program is supposed to prevent starvation and malnutrition. Using it to buy junk food or luxuries is against the principle of the program. When I hit hard times, I ate rice and beans. She should do the same. One might suggest that her poor decision making process is one of the reasons she is in a hard spot in the first place.

Might be against the principle, but obviously is not against the choice, otherwise those items wouldn't be permitted under the guidelines. Why should she choose to eat rice & beans just because you chose to eat those items. Isn't that the same as her saying that you should choose to do what she does.. neither would be right, as even those who recieve these entitlements are still permitted their own freedoms of choice. Those rights aren't handed in simply because a person is collecting something from the state.

Perhaps some of her decisions have helped her to be where she is, maybe not. In any event I'm pretty sure that she would rather have functioning kidneys and the independance to not have the need to rely on Gov't. programs. She does qualify though, and should still be treated with dignity in the grocery store.

Third point: she is entitled to nothing. We, as a good-hearted nation, do not want to see anyone starve so we have elected to help people in need out, but it is an act of charity. She is not entitled to this charity.

She most certainly is entitled to the food stamp program, as it is not a charity, but an entitlement to those who are eligible to recieve.

Some of the same people who in other threads call these programs an entitlement, as if it's a filthy thing, but suddenly it's charity if you want to clarify that she isn't entitled

She is not entitled to anything. We, as a country are generous to give her somethign because we, as a caring nation do not want to see our own citizens starve. One is not entitled to the earnings of another. Simple.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RobinB022

So funny. You call it an entitlement program, but whenever I do I'm what what.. I have an "entitlement mentality."

I’m not advocating that people who receive handouts can buy whatever they want; you are.

Some people are entitled to assistance but that assistance comes with RULES.

And you damn sure will tell me what I can buy? Try to. I'm not arrogant, I just haven't lost my self respect and dignity when I lost the use of my feet. I don't feel entitled, but obviously [under the program] I am. I'm entitled to collect my disability, I'm entitled to live in dignity and have respect for myself & others.

Try to buy booze with food stamps and see what happens.

I would never dream of sitting at my computer and judging a person/s or telling them the things that you just said to me. But make no mistake-I can handle it, I've been told much worse by much better.

Spare me your phony indignation…..if you can dish it out than you should be able to take it.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Again, if you don’t like it than get a JOB!

If you don't like it then move to a 3rd world country where there are no social programs and people are starving to death tough guy.

…Then you would have gotten your butt kicked here at home. You should be thankful some people care more about their country than themselves and their handouts.

lol, if you cared about the country you wouldn't have joined the current globalist military that mostly serves the military industrial complex and not the interests of the USA.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

If you don't like it then move to a 3rd world country where there are no social programs and people are starving to death tough guy.

What does any of this rant have to do with the topic?

if you cared about the country you wouldn't have joined the current globalist military that mostly serves the military industrial complex and not the interests of the USA.

Don’t pretend to know what motivated me to serve or what I did while I was in. Obviously you’d be the LAST person to have a clue about service.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Warner Robins, my old stomping grounds. Sad to see this happen there. But anyways, it's crazy that a store manager acts all uppity. It's not like he's working at a Sachs Fifth Avenue store. It's KROGER.

Anyways, I went to North Side High in Warner Robins. Good times.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

But anyways, it's crazy that a store manager acts all uppity. It's not like he's working at a Sachs Fifth Avenue store. It's KROGER.

What’s even crazier is that the OP called him an elitist!!!

I didn’t know the 1% manage grocery stores!

edit on 11-10-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

What does any of this rant have to do with the topic?

I was replying to your statements.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

What’s even crazier is that the OP called him and elitist!!!

There is a difference between the word elite, and elitist.

elitist

e·lit·ist
  [ih-lee-tist ey-lee‐] Show IPA
adjective
(of a person or class of persons) considered superior by others or by themselves, as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society: elitist country clubbers who have theirs and don't care about anybody else.

dictionary.reference.com...

Anyone can be an elitist, like yourself. You feel you are better than other people because you served in the military. You also feel you're better than people on food stamps, and that you should have the power to tell them what they can and cannot buy.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I was replying to your statements.

So I should move to a 3rd world country because what??

Is it because I don’t believe people who receive government assistance should be allowed to buy filet mignot and booze?

Makes sense…

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by NavyDoc

And that is exactly the mentality that realspoke was referring too.

Yet you got your frilly panties in a bunch when he pointed it out. She is on disability. Guess what, people get sick and can't work.

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

No, RS made a typical perconcieved and agenda driven comment without evidence. He actually behaved in the manner he accused others of doing. Hypocrisy, gotta love it.

Throwing a little logic and reason into a debate is "getting ones panties in a bunch?" Wow, I'll inform Spock straightaway.

"There is a sucker born every minute" P.T. Barnum

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Some people are entitled to assistance but that assistance comes with RULES.

And she was following the rules.

Spare me your phony indignation…..if you can dish it out than you should be able to take it.

It isn't phony, and I can take it

Try to buy booze with food stamps and see what happens.

I don't collect food stamps, but even if I did, I don't drink. You're just way off point here and seem like you want to argue..I have no desire to do that. Nobody is saying anything about drinking or not following rules. I certainly never said as much. The only thing close to that was what I said about the choices in types of food purchased-she has the right to buy whatever the program allows and you can be as mad as hell about that, but it won't change her choices.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Anyone can be an elitist, like yourself. You feel you are better than other people because you served in the military.

Once again you are making your own judgment. I’ve never said anything to make someone think that I feel that way.

This is likely an inferiority complex on your end.

You also feel you're better than people on food stamps, and that you should have the power to tell them what they can and cannot buy.

WE THE PEOPLE DO have the power to limit the items they can purchase. That’s a fact, Jack! Look it up!

Alcoholic beverages, tobacco and hot ready to eat foods can not be bought with food stamps. You may not purchase canning jars, pet food or household items with food stamps.

voices.yahoo.com...

If I felt it would matter I’d find the actual gov list but I know it won’t matter to you.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I believe that people that work for the government should not be allowed to buy fillet mignon and booze
and be able to write it off. Of course they get a stipend for those things as well. So for a poor person its a hand out and for a politician its a perk? Bravo.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RobinB022

And she was following the rules.

But they thought she wasn’t! It was a mistake….get over it.

It isn't phony, and I can take it.

Good….me too.

I don't collect food stamps, but even if I did, I don't drink. You're just way off point here and seem like you want to argue..I have no desire to do that. Nobody is saying anything about drinking or not following rules. I certainly never said as much.

EXCUSE ME?? You were defending her “right” to buy whatever she wants. Try and follow along. Allow me to quote you:

Why should she choose to eat rice & beans just because you chose to eat those items. Isn't that the same as her saying that you should choose to do what she does.. neither would be right, as even those who recieve these entitlements are still permitted their own freedoms of choice. Those rights aren't handed in simply because a person is collecting something from the state.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

One is not entitled to the earnings of another. Simple.

Ok, good enough. Does this mean that you [&others] will stop calling food stamps, disability,etc., entitlement programs in other threads? I guess it's all in the context, because when I used the word entitled it was scorned upon.

See, it's all good when people who know nothing of what they speak to use these terms in a derogatory fashion, but flip side of that, when I say it in a different way it just makes those same people angry. All I know is.. when I initially filed for disability I felt bad, as though I were somehow wrong even though I could no longer work at my job, but I was told that I was 'entitled' to my disability check. I don't feel ashamed anymore, and I think even that makes some people mad. As if, if I felt embarrassed or ashamed they would be happier. Really, there's just no winning in the situation.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join