It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Ridiculed For Using Food Stamps

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

So here we have some elitist republican or conservative manager harassing a chronically ill customer for using foodstamps to purchase food.

OP…..that’s priceless!!

What a shameless, pitiful attempt at partisanship.

While I agree the manger should be reprimanded, how is this guy suddenly a conservative elitist??

So anybody who ridicules people on food stamps is conservative, huh? Conservative elitists have cornered the market on ridicule now?

Boy, you really stepped in it. The curtain has been completely pulled back!!

edit on 11-10-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
UPI has a more accurate story

Just so everyone knows, Kroger GAVE her the disputed items. She was NOT right. GA has a strange list of items that are NOT covered by food stamps though many of us here would agree they should be. After 30 minutes of her bellyaching, Kroger GAVE her the items. The Manager didnt turn on her after he GAVE her the stuff, and she still insisted she was right

This is only news because she has gone and bellyached to the press, so Kroger has issued an apology for arguing with her, but not that she was right

www.upi.com...

"She said the manager eventually told employees "just give them to her" and then turned on her when she remarked that she had been right."

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Nice Woman gets ridiculed then someone makes a thread about it ridiculing republicans for trying to make sure that government program is not abused.

I see how that works should the op be fired?

edit on 11-10-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I agree, I would have gotten rid of the cashier if I managed the store and probably would have offered her some free groceries to compensate her for what happened. My daughter went through hard times and has gotten food stamps. I complained that she was buying too expensive of food a few times and she has learned from experience that I was right. Treating yourself to an expensive treat usually means that there isn't enough food for the month. Foodstamps aren't enough to eat high priced foods very often. It was not the right of the cashier to say what he did, he should have bit his tongue and called the manager. The computer probably wasn't programmed right, foodstamps can't usually buy hot food but in some cases it can buy some prepared foods. It is usually listed by the product you buy. I'm sure the woman was probably right. I hope she looses the lawsuit though, she should have settled for the gift card.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeneralMishka
UPI has a more accurate story

Just so everyone knows, Kroger GAVE her the disputed items. She was NOT right. GA has a strange list of items that are NOT covered by food stamps though many of us here would agree they should be. After 30 minutes of her bellyaching, Kroger GAVE her the items. The Manager didnt turn on her after he GAVE her the stuff, and she still insisted she was right

This is only news because she has gone and bellyached to the press, so Kroger has issued an apology for arguing with her, but not that she was right

www.upi.com...

"She said the manager eventually told employees "just give them to her" and then turned on her when she remarked that she had been right."

I stand corrected then...GA I have never worked in so, it is possible they weren't covered. It's not usual and probably is the only state with such stipulations, I'd imagine (At least I know of on the East coast that is)...

Still didn't give him the right to demoralize her even if she acted a fool. Me I would have gotten a manager or said to them I was turning my light off and refuse to further process her order until she calmed down. That's what I was trained to do diffuse and deflect.

Seeing it was a manager I'd assume there'd still be someone higher up or whatever to also have them approach her. if not then he could have used the I Removing from the property threat wal mart used when they had a similar customer, and nobody demoralized her though she was on foodstamps as well)
edit on 11-10-2012 by ldyserenity because: add

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by NavyDoc

She's ill and can't work and cares for another elderly ill family member but nobody gets pissed at the illegals ripping off the nation through food stamps and large wads of under the table (UNTAXED) pay that pisses me off a lot more. Sorry but the kroger guy should have blown his top on one of those illegals not some sickly woman, IMO, if at all and they are much more disrespectful I have like I said dealt with everything. I was a cashier for many years...stop attacking fellow americans and pandering to the swarms of illegals in our country.

It's not up to the cashier though to tell a person what to buy that's for the state and apparently they say as other cashiers backed her up, that she indeed could buy those items on the stamps. And the customer is always right, no amount of arguing is going to change that. But whatever....
edit on 11-10-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling and add

Oh, I feel the same thing about illegals...they are even worse IMHO because they are not even citizens and still take advantage of programs designed for our citizens. Pointing out the problems with one, does not automatically indicate disregard of the abuses of the other.

The point of sale does have some responsability for ensuring that the EBT is used appropriately. There have been several instances where stores have taken EBT, charged for food, but gave the customer alcohol or cigarrettes or some other not approved item or taken the EBT card in exchange for cash and then rang up false food items.
www.thefiscaltimes.com... cles/2012/05/24/Crackdown-on-Food-Stamp-Fraud-A-$750m-a-Year-Scam.aspx#page1

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I heard about this a few weeks ago, and I still think there's something fishy here. I don't mean her and a store employee disputing the various items, and a manager being summoned -- I'm sure that really happened. But I really can't imagine someone in such a position getting all, "Excuse me, I work for a living!" That would likely be grounds for getting fired on the spot, and the store getting in trouble, etc.

I don't work in a store, but I do handle parents for a service given by the local school district. Unfortunately, due to the current budget cuts seen everywhere, we must turn many people away, who are naturally very unhappy. I get threatened with "I'll call my lawyer about this!" and "I'll let the media know exactly what 'you people' are up to!" on average of twice a week, no exaggeration. And a lot of these people aren't just talking -- they DO call the news outlets, as I know because we've gotten calls from them. They then exaggerate what happened and what we said, obviously, for the sake of a better (or, in fact, existant in the first place) story. It quickly escalates into a game of "he said, she said." And as we all know, you really can't hope to win that. Thus, we are trained to be absolutely polite even when we have to refuse someone, to choose our words very carefully so NOTHING can be misconstrued in any way, etc. I have no doubt the Kroger manager would also have such things in mind.

(Also, as a side note, I too am a young woman battling a serious chronic illness -- I spent two years on disability in my mid-twenties. So I definitely relate to where this woman's coming from, and am in no way trashing a person in her situation.)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
What a jerk. Probably just trying to make himself feel better. Not exactly a high flyer himself is he?

What fiddy said...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I see no difference in what is limited here from what's limited in Florida... don't say nothing about the items like deli meat:
Restricted Items GA EBT
edit on 11-10-2012 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabagThe curtain has been completely pulled back!!

Since when has "The Spoke" been behind a curtain - anyone who reads more than two of his posts knows he's an avid fan of the race card and the rhetoric of hate.

As for the story - its sad, If this guy worked for me he'd not have a job I can tell you that... While there are many people who do abuse the system the workplace is not the place for political rants.

Some people need it sure...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
ITT:

RealSpoke uses basic logic to insensitively connect the situation at hand to the political platform of a particular party. Massive caboose devastation occurs.

But Real, dude, ATS can't even so far as to into logical deductions and connectors. Don't try, especially when the party that represents their views is in the line of fire.
edit on 11-10-2012 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GeneralMishka

It would be nice to know exactly what she bought that is disputed. The UPI article seems to have been written with info from the other side, Kroggers side, of the story. Too bad we don't have a list of the items to compare to what the government allows.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric

But Real, dude, ATS can't even so far as to into logical deductions and connectors.

I think you're missing a verb?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Originally posted by TheOneElectric

But Real, dude, ATS can't even so far as to into logical deductions and connectors.

I think you're missing a verb?

LOL. Verbs are RACIST man!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
lol? I inferred that this guy was a republican because he used a republican talking point on the lady. That everyone on foodstamps is lazy and unemployed. Democrats usually don't use republican talking points....this is just reality.

I'll edit it to say "conservative or republican". That's more accurate. He could be a right wing libertarian and not belong to a party.
edit on 11-10-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

Now you're introducing the word "lazy" into this woman's unconfirmed personal anecdote. Good Job! But I take offense of the Use of the "L" word. What a racist comment for you to make!! I hope Andrea Mitchell is not reading this!!

As for Krogers... I will wait for more information on this. If anyone knows more about those who use and abuse the SNAP program it's going to be a manager of a grocery store or a Wal Mart.

To bad there was no audio or video of this incident. Grocery stores are often targeted by scammers of all sorts looking to dip their hands in deep pockets. Ever see anyone "slip" on some lettuce in the Produce aisle or accidentally pull a display onto themselves.

Right now this story is nothing but he said she said and I get the feeling that this woman is looking for an angle.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Um the yung turks do not create news, they take news from other sources, (this case a local news station) and provide commentary on it. The source article was posted in the thread, and it had absolutely no relation to TYT.

It's actually ironic that you say this, since 99% of the threads you post come from briebart, a neo-con disinfo website.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Now you're introducing the word "lazy" into this woman's unconfirmed personal anecdote. Good Job

Um, I didn't introduce anything. That is what the manager implied she was, of course none of you seem to actually read the article.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

You're making the inference based on an unconfirmed story. A story that may have some blurry details based on how this woman's adrenaline was probably rushing through her mind at the time. She built up the issue to the boiling point on purpose...Kroger GAVE her the items... and she still didn't back down...

Yeah.... I know how that "code" speak works...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Kroger GAVE her the items... and she still didn't back down...

They didn't give her the items, she bought them with her foodstamps. She then left the store crying and refused a gift card. I don't understand how she didn't back down.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Double

edit on 11-10-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join