It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Ridiculed For Using Food Stamps

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
The video was posted by The Young Turks network.

They are ultra Left Wing dingers.

I bet the entire video was staged and would question the entire claim.

I say it was a set up big time.

I wonder how much "the woman" got paid ?

I wonder if she even has a "medical condition" to begin with ?

That is a valid point. The only evidence of any sort of medical condition we have at the moment is her own claim that is repeated by the News outlets.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

That is the way it should of been handled, no fuss no muss. But in the end the lady is getting her 15 mins and the manager got transferred (for bumping his/her gums) with employees being retrained in this matter.

But earlier this week, Jenkins told 13WMAZ that the worker, a store co-worker, had been transferred to another store.

Story

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
lol. I'm done with this thread. I'm sick of hearing republicans cry because I said the manager, who used a republican talking point, was probably republican.

elitist republican or conservative manager harassing a chronically ill customer

So you start out the gate with a democratic talking point is better? You could of easily said " a A-hole of a manager harassing a chronically ill customer" You wanted to make it political and question? how do you know the political affiliations of the manager.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
lol? I inferred that this guy was a republican because he used a republican talking point on the lady. That everyone on foodstamps is lazy and unemployed. Democrats usually don't use republican talking points....this is just reality.

I'll edit it to say "conservative or republican". That's more accurate. He could be a right wing libertarian and not belong to a party.
edit on 11-10-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

There are plenty of "talking points" that I use that could be considered "Republican" and plenty that could be considered "Democrat", both sides will make similar assumptions as you when they hear them, and the conversation for them is over. I am then categorized in such a way that they do not need to give me the courtesy of an opinion.

You were assumptive and hypocritical in using negative rhetoric to attack someone when you have limited information. It detracted from your argument, and you lost credibility by blindly following the rhetoric to push an obvious agenda. You are called out and caught out on it, and now if you would regain credibility be man enough to admit the mistake.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by KoolerKing

I was in business for over twenty years and the only reason I can't work anymore was that I got in a car accident and got epilepsy. If I could work again I would call my old employees and get them back right away, I would bet they would all come back. I was also a foreman for another six years on top of owning my own business. Treating customers badly is not the job of the employee, if they had a problem they were instructed to have the client talk to me. On the job, the employee is supposed to be a representative of the business. Three of my old employees own their own businesses now and are doing quite well. Others got jobs with bigger construction companies that could pay better because of their situation. I got two of them better jobs myself through contacts. I also have many friends that own businesses or are way up in the management of businesses.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeneralMishka
If anyone bothers to read the story, you will see the issue. Only a fraction of what she was purchasing was not covered by food stamps, the Kroger manager was fulfilling his duties asking for the $10 for the uncovered items

If you would bother to read the story, the lady and the male checker were arguing for 1/2 hour about the $10.00 when a manager was called in. The manager checked out the situation and came to the conclusion that the lady was right and went on to berate her for using food stamps. He should be fired, not transferred.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

lol. I'm done with this thread. I'm sick of hearing republicans cry because I said the manager, who used a republican talking point, was probably republican.

Oh, I see, you stepped on it and are not man enough to admit you were wrong? You had a good OP until you made a blanket ass umption based upon your own feelings towards one particular group of people. Own up to your mistake, or you could just........

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
From what I understand, Food stamp items are pre-programmed in. anything not covered (hot foods for instance) are flagged on the reciept..there is no judgement and decisions going on here..

So, not sure what the issue is...did the manager try to say some things that were covered, as revealed by it...going through and being clearly covered, didn't work?

And the work for a living?

Dude, just bag the groceries and get back home to moms basement...your hardly saving lives, are you.
Funny thing is, he may qualify for food stamps for having such a dead end low paying job that is barely above poverty lines.
But whatever..he doesn't realize that when he pays taxes, he is putting some of that in for his own rainy day account that he may or may not use down the line (may he live in a world where he never qualifies for food stamps...aka, that he is doing ok).

I was on the stamps once...I felt no issues with it. I recommend anyone whom looks down at such people to do one thing..walk a mile in their shoes. This means first off losing your job, or getting such a crap job that your still poor, lose all your assets, lose many things, and make it to where simply feeding yourself is a taxing financial issue...then you are allowed to sit back and sing the praises of how it is to be a moocher or whatever...mhmm...a wonderful improvement in life to be all but begging for food.

After that, you can do other equal things..such as kicking the blind, stealing candy from babies, etc..you know...stuff jesus would do.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I hope that they toss him/her/manager almighty out on their butt and give him/her bad references for future jobs making it impossible for him/her to find work....it's been done to me for no other reason than jealousy so I KNOW it can be done. And in this case it's deserved.Let them have to struggle and need foodstamps, the chicken yanker!!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It appears that whoever programmed the computer was in err. The clerk should have called the manager right away if there was a problem. His comment was wrong and his actions were wrong. It appears that the managers actions in the end were correct and he should have been called within minutes, not a half hour later. I would have had the items taken off of my tally myself at the checkout even though I would have been right if I didn't have the money to pay for the items. You have to remember that this woman had her kidneys removed and the kidneys detox the body. She probably wasn't thinking very easily at the time. The fact that she was right made her more determined to follow it through adding to the situation with her thinking problems. I thank god that I am not in the condition this woman is in, the meds I was taking for my epilepsy severely damaged my kidneys but they are slowly recovering.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Doesn't matter it's still food and as such still covered by food stamps (Cashier here) and I KNOW FOR A FACT it IS COVERED. # You don't think I get pissed when I see illegals take out their foodstamp card and buy lobster and crabmeat (PREMIUM) foods and they also have a thick wad of cash behind their cards? Do I have the right to (Even knowing they are talking # on me in their native language as a cashier who speaks and knows fluent spanish) Does it give me the right to curse them out in spanish??? NO And I would have lost my job. it's funny you guys think it isn't alright to throw a tantrum when someone is supposed to be doing their job I would have thrown a tantrum too if the guy tried to tell me ANY kind of food is not covered by food stamps!!! Unless it was cooked (Being served as hot food) IT IS COVERED!!!! AND further more I don't believe a sickly woman would have the strength to cause a fuss, I believe these may be two different incidents. But that's just me or it's complete BS to cover his butt.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

Originally posted by ga-`tv-gi

Kroger spokesman Glynn Jenkins told 13WMAZ Friday that he could not verify exactly what was said between Nerger and the manager. But he also challenged her version of the story. He said the company is speaking with other employees who witnessed the exchange.

The other side

I will wait till both side weigh in before judging, unlike others

I heard about this story quite a while ago. Apparently she threw a S#!t fit when she was trying to buy some premium foods, (expensive deli meat IIR) on her food card and became very distruptive. The manager finally relented because she was making a scene and backing up the line so he just gave her the extra food to get rid of her. Since then, Krogers has offered her $500 gift certificates twice but she ahs rejected them, hiring a lawyer. She appears to be an entitlement minded individual looking for a paycheck.

if she was "entitlement minded", she would have taken the 500 instead of opting to use the stump to focus in on the issue, no?

Also, doesn't matter what grade of meat or whatever she chose to get. Hell, doesn't matter if all she had was pepsi, potato chips, and prime rib..its her choice of what form caloric intake she will opt for. She doesn't get more money if she runs out before the end of month, she can blow the entire months sum on one sitting and starve for the rest if she wants...would be completely stupid mind you, but whatever...however, looking at her, she is obviously not paying extra for the good nutritional high priced objects...seems she is going for the low priced fatty foods. quantity over quality sort of thing. just a observation.

She is entitled to the food...This is the US, not Ethopia. We have overall resolved the issue of our people starving in the streets. Sorry of that upsets you, but it would upset me to see starving people as I walk down the street...I don't want to live in a fail country whom can't even feed its own people...do you?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Well, if she gets a legal settlement, I don't think she should get foodstamps anymore until the amount of the settlement is used up. The gift card offered should have been an adequate settlement. I don't think people should be buying lobster and real expensive foods with a food card either. Most deli items aren't that overpriced though. The only reason I do not think expensive items should be bought with the foodcard is because it limits the amount of food you can buy. Spending a little extra for naturally aged foods that stimulate the body to fight diseases is one thing but the special healing properties of Lobsters can also be found in any shrimp or even in some other kinds of food that are a lot cheaper.. I don't think Chitosan will heal a kidney that isn't there though.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

We still as cashiers managers or whatever have no right to say anything to them. If we do we get discharged and with malice. If you get my meaning. We cannot stand at our job and tell them what to do with their food stamps or demoralize them. Even if they are illegals that we know are already breaking laws. But I guess nobody knows about customer service anymore. I worked in 3 states as a cashier and I have seen it all. It's up to them if they want to starve half the month (Most of them will go to food banks too mind you) so they will have plenty of back up food.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
if she was "entitlement minded", she would have taken the 500 instead of opting to use the stump to focus in on the issue, no?

Also, doesn't matter what grade of meat or whatever she chose to get. Hell, doesn't matter if all she had was pepsi, potato chips, and prime rib..its her choice of what form caloric intake she will opt for. She doesn't get more money if she runs out before the end of month, she can blow the entire months sum on one sitting and starve for the rest if she wants...would be completely stupid mind you, but whatever...however, looking at her, she is obviously not paying extra for the good nutritional high priced objects...seems she is going for the low priced fatty foods. quantity over quality sort of thing. just a observation.

She is entitled to the food...This is the US, not Ethopia. We have overall resolved the issue of our people starving in the streets. Sorry of that upsets you, but it would upset me to see starving people as I walk down the street...I don't want to live in a fail country whom can't even feed its own people...do you?

The first point: Not necessarily, she could be in anticipation of more later if she causes a fuss now--purely speculation, admittedly.

Second point: I disagree. The food stamp program is supposed to prevent starvation and malnutrition. Using it to buy junk food or luxuries is against the principle of the program. When I hit hard times, I ate rice and beans. She should do the same. One might suggest that her poor decision making process is one of the reasons she is in a hard spot in the first place.

Third point: she is entitled to nothing. We, as a good-hearted nation, do not want to see anyone starve so we have elected to help people in need out, but it is an act of charity. She is not entitled to this charity.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by NavyDoc

Doesn't matter it's still food and as such still covered by food stamps (Cashier here) and I KNOW FOR A FACT it IS COVERED. # You don't think I get pissed when I see illegals take out their foodstamp card and buy lobster and crabmeat (PREMIUM) foods and they also have a thick wad of cash behind their cards? Do I have the right to (Even knowing they are talking # on me in their native language as a cashier who speaks and knows fluent spanish) Does it give me the right to curse them out in spanish??? NO And I would have lost my job. it's funny you guys think it isn't alright to throw a tantrum when someone is supposed to be doing their job I would have thrown a tantrum too if the guy tried to tell me ANY kind of food is not covered by food stamps!!! Unless it was cooked (Being served as hot food) IT IS COVERED!!!! AND further more I don't believe a sickly woman would have the strength to cause a fuss, I believe these may be two different incidents. But that's just me or it's complete BS to cover his butt.

I didn't say it was right to yell at the woman, where did you get that?

Secondly, all we have is her side of the story. She could very well been an obnoxious, ill tempered, person who threw a tantrum. IMHO, one should be greatful for the public charity, not act like they are entitled to anything. There but for the grace of the American taxpayer, she would be starving or (shudder) have to work.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Unless she's hanging on for the 'distress' lawsuit millions.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

And when you own the business, you can fire him.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

She's ill and can't work and cares for another elderly ill family member but nobody gets pissed at the illegals ripping off the nation through food stamps and large wads of under the table (UNTAXED) pay that pisses me off a lot more. Sorry but the kroger guy should have blown his top on one of those illegals not some sickly woman, IMO, if at all and they are much more disrespectful I have like I said dealt with everything. I was a cashier for many years...stop attacking fellow americans and pandering to the swarms of illegals in our country.

It's not up to the cashier though to tell a person what to buy that's for the state and apparently they say as other cashiers backed her up, that she indeed could buy those items on the stamps. And the customer is always right, no amount of arguing is going to change that. But whatever....
edit on 11-10-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling and add

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Double

edit on 11-10-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join