It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Ridiculed For Using Food Stamps

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
If it is true and the employee /manager did say that they "work for a living unlike you" then I think it is simply a stupid assumption and insult on the part of the employee or manager( I can't remember which it was)

They assumed that she was a lazy, do nothing who chose not to work. Or at least that was implied.

The employee needs some better customer service training. When dealing with customers it is better to not assume anything about personal situations, and if you must assume.....certaintly do not speak it aloud!

deal just with the facts. Until we hear from the employee or manager, I can't get really upset or even assume this is a dem vs rep thing. Chances are it is, but really I just see this as poor training on the part of the store.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

So here we have some elitist republican or conservative manager harassing a chronically ill customer for using foodstamps to purchase food. This is what watching endless fox news does to a person, fill them with hate for their fellow countrymen who are down on their luck, who is in need of help. If you have no kidneys, have to sit on hours of dialysis a day, and can't work... Who cares, that is your problem! I guess he feels they should just starve to death, like what happens in 3rd world countries.
edit on 11-10-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

Say what? How the hell is this a political debate now? The man was caught in a bad moment, acted like an a-hole, and that is that.

I am a conservative. A conservative libertarian. If you think the GOP is tough on welfare, you likely would be horrified at my viewpoints.

If you think you are adding meaningful dialogue to the national political debate, you are wrong. There is nothing high brow about calling everyone you don't like "Republican".

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Well a democrat or liberal is not going to harass someone for using foodstamps, as the programs do not bother them.

I'll edit it to say "conservative or republican". That's more accurate. He could be a right wing libertarian and not belong to a party.

ahh....there you go. Now you have isolated a group that I could be lumped into. Not often that my ilk is called out. Thanks for finding that bar and lowering it a little more. James Cameron is going to be busy!!!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by GeneralMishka

If you had properly read the story - you would have realized that the customer was right. All of the groceries in her cart were covered by food stamps.

Tired of Control Freaks

According to the accuser she did, but GA has a very long and strange list of items NOT covered by food stamps. I will trust the Kroger scanner in this case, and certainly not the hypsters on that program.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

There is nothing high brow about calling everyone you don't like "Republican".

lol? No, I inferred that this guy was a republican because he used a republican talking point on the lady. That everyone on foodstamps is lazy and unemployed. Democrats usually don't use republican talking points....this is just reality.

And right wing libertarians believe in a fantasy utopia reality that will never exist. They are on the same level as actual communists. But they don't bother me as bad as GOP people...mainly because they hate corporate welfare the same as they do social welfare. The GOP actually favors corporate over social which is just sickening.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Um, yeah the one manager that accused her in the first place. Other managers then came over to check and told him he was wrong. Again, you have problems reading the story.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

There is nothing high brow about calling everyone you don't like "Republican".

That everyone on foodstamps is lazy and unemployed. Democrats usually don't use republican talking points....this is just reality.

Like Kroger is a bastion of GOPers ...

I took it to mean that she has th eobligation to know what is covered and not covered under food stamps. She bought items not covered by food stamps, and she didnt know which ones werent.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Again, the manager was wrong, the items were covered under foodstamps, if they weren't the card would not have been credited. Why do you keep repeating false information?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Being an ____ isn't limited to republicans. I've heard democrats (that I know personally) spew some pretty hateful things before too. More than likely the Krogers employee doesn't have ANY political affiliation, as over 50% of our population doesn't even vote.

While what the employee said was hateful and uncalled for (in my elitist republican opinion) the disagreement about $10 worth of the woman's purchase wasn't the employees fault. Everything you buy at the store is scanned or a specific code is entered and the computerized register calculates what is covered by food stamps and what is not. There could have been a programming problem. What the employee should have done (instead of arguing with the customer) is immediately call the manager to sort it all out. The manager would have to be called anyway to perform a manual override in the case that the customer was correct.

I myself have witnessed many times people purposefully trying to get away with purchasing unauthorized items with food stamps. It happens more often than you think. And a lot of times when they are called on it the person will act ugly and start to rant and rave thinking if they cause a scene they might get away with it. I'm sure this particular employee has experienced that a lot- but it's no excuse for rude behavior on their part.

I was a grocery store cashier when my kids were very young, and we were instructed that in such cases we were to be polite and to call a manager. It is the manager's job to deal with situations like that. Computerized systems are not infallible, and customers aren't either. The employee should have immediately called the manager and the entire situation would have been avoided.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Again, the manager was wrong, the items were covered under foodstamps, if they weren't the card would not have been credited. Why do you keep repeating false information?

Yes, we should just stick to the facts we know, and be careful not to imply or infer anything. I mean it's not like we know anything about, for example, the political leanings of anyone involved.

Oh wait...
edit on 11-10-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Of course you could be in that group, you're a right wing libertarian. Libertarians frequently bitch about social programs.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

There is a difference between inferring something and posting knowingly wrong information.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Do you have any information to back this up?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

reply to post by khimbar

There is a difference between inferring something and posting knowingly wrong information.

'So here we have some elitist republican or conservative manager'

That's neither inferring nor implying. You've stated it as fact without knowing it to be a fact.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
An informative thread would have been to try and figure out how many legitimate welfare-receivers vs. welfare-abusers there are. But because your mind is that of a liberal, you cherry pick one legitimate case and use it to demonize all republicans/conservatives. You know that threads like these actually do Republicans a favor by showing how unbalanced liberal reporting is?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Why does anyone care that I said this guy was probably a republican? I get the whole point of not assuming....but you can go read many republican posts on ATS and see them say the same talking point, or turn it on fox news, read breibart, go listen to a rep speech. They say things like this proudly.

Whether or not this guy is an actual republican doesn't change reality that " People on foodstamps are lazy and don't work" is one of their talking points.

I guess it only bothers you guys if it is said to a terminally ill persons face who is dependent on them and cannot work.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I don't see why the store manager should care whether it's cash or food stamps. A sale is a sale, and his store's bottom line will reflect so.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

An informative thread would have been to try and figure out how many legitimate welfare-receivers vs. welfare-abusers there are

This thread isn't about that, it's about a lady being harassed in Krogers. If you want to make that thread go ahead and do so.

You know that threads like these actually do Republicans a favor by showing how unbalanced liberal reporting is?

lol. don't worry, Fox does that for everyone that isn't brainwashed and has common sense.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Why does anyone care that I said this guy was probably a republican? I get the whole point of not assuming....but you can go read many republican posts on ATS and see them say the same talking point, or turn it on fox news, read breibart, go listen to a rep speech. They say things like this proudly.

Whether or not this guy is an actual republican doesn't change reality that " People on foodstamps are lazy and don't work" is one of their talking points.

I'm not speaking for everyone else but I'm questioning it because you used the story to score cheap political points when you didn't need to. Almost immediately you felt you had to play the Evil Republican card.

The story would have stood on it's own without political points being cheaply scored.

Oh and you also really seem to struggle with difference between infer and imply.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

No, as a post below it just said I was inferring. If people don't want to read the thread that is their problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join