It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Ridiculed For Using Food Stamps

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

A Warner Robins woman wants an apology from a Kroger manager who she says disparaged her for using food stamps to pay for her groceries.

Cindy Nerger spends 12 hours on dialysis every day. She's been on the waiting list for a kidney transplant for five years. She's the caregiver for the grandmother who raised her.

Since Nerger can't work, the family relies on her husband's income, but he works only part-time so he can help her.

www.13wmaz.com...

So here we have some elitist republican or conservative manager harassing a chronically ill customer for using foodstamps to purchase food. This is what watching endless fox news does to a person, fill them with hate for their fellow countrymen who are down on their luck, who is in need of help. If you have no kidneys, have to sit on hours of dialysis a day, and can't work... Who cares, that is your problem! I guess he feels they should just starve to death, like what happens in 3rd world countries.
edit on 11-10-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Oct 11 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Thu Oct 11 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
What a jerk. Probably just trying to make himself feel better. Not exactly a high flyer himself is he?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

some elitist republican manager

i love it when idiots just make crap up

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Elitest Republican? How do you know what the managers affiliation is?
Did he come out and say it? Or are you just assuming...?
You just turned it into a political division with that statement.

First off, the woman is deserving of an apology.
The manager should of kept that statement to himself.
Secondly, the woman should've stuck up for herself and told him why.
She has every right to be getting help with her problems.
I'm glad to see she isn't trying to sue for some contrived reason.
But I feel as though she should've stepped up and said something back.

We need more backbone in this country.
More people need to stand up for themselves and others.
Not in a negative way, but more affirmation of a worthy cause.
Divisions will continue to create battles.

So why add a fan to the fire?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Kroger spokesman Glynn Jenkins told 13WMAZ Friday that he could not verify exactly what was said between Nerger and the manager. But he also challenged her version of the story. He said the company is speaking with other employees who witnessed the exchange.

The other side

I will wait till both side weigh in before judging, unlike others

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
hi realspoke

Im in the uk

for the last few months now its being reported that more and more peeps are using food banks

The news reports it at least once a week
Most schools round here are begging for donations for the food bank

i think soon the majority will be on them
and also...immigration is not helping my country FULL STOP.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
That`s just not something management should be saying to a customer.
I think it should cost him his job.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

So here we have some elitist republican manager harassing a chronically ill customer for using foodstamps to purchase food. This is what watching endless fox news does to a person,

This story is newsworthy in the sense it reminds us that not everyone on assistance is there due to the economy or a lack of personal motivation.

But you had to put an agenda behind it...

You're as big a tool as those you are ripping in...sucks to be you.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

So here we have some elitist republican manager

Wow! Stereotype much?

I am a republican and I fully sympathize with this woman. But I think the story also speaks volumes about the current administration. She is on government support as are 1 in 5 Americans are today. And her husband is out of full time work as are 23 million other Americans today. Yes I completely sympathize with her

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
lol? I inferred that this guy was a republican because he used a republican talking point on the lady. That everyone on foodstamps is lazy and unemployed. Democrats usually don't use republican talking points....this is just reality.

I'll edit it to say "conservative or republican". That's more accurate. He could be a right wing libertarian and not belong to a party.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
If anyone bothers to read the story, you will see the issue. Only a fraction of what she was purchasing was not covered by food stamps, the Kroger manager was fulfilling his duties asking for the $10 for the uncovered items

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

So here we have some elitist republican or conservative manager harassing a chronically ill customer for using foodstamps to purchase food.

I must have missed the part in your post where it states his political affiliation. You presumably have sources of your own on him?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Can you explain exactly why this woman should have to discuss her health issues with a grocery store manager? Why should she have to humiliate herself even more than he humilated her?

What might his response have been? (Personally, I think it would have been something along the lines of "well if you weren't so fat, you wouldn't be losing your kidneys!)

The manager was bullying her. Since when did trying to appease a bully ever work.

The grocery store clerk was in the wrong. The customer was right. Instead of offering an apology, the manager offered an insult!

And her response is supposed to be "please sir, don't bully me. I am a sick woman"

Yeah - that'll work. Bullies always restrain themselves when they percieve that their victim is weak.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Well a democrat or liberal is not going to harass someone for using foodstamps, as the programs do not bother them.

And you know this how?

edit on 11-10-2012 by ga-`tv-gi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeneralMishka
If anyone bothers to read the story, you will see the issue. Only a fraction of what she was purchasing was not covered by food stamps, the Kroger manager was fulfilling his duties asking for the $10 for the uncovered items

Um no, if you read the story it says the manager was wrong about the items not being covered under foodstamps. All you have to do is ring up the items to see if they are covered, if not they will automatically not be credited by the card. Once proven wrong via other employees actually doing their job he ridiculed her.

""I was upset, so, I was like, you know, I told you that it was covered under food stamps, you know, so, there was no need for all of this, you know, and he said, "Well excuse me that I work for a living and don't rely on food stamps like you," Nerger said. "

link   
Saying only a republican would harass someone about this is ridiculous!

I'm starting to think this is just policy for Kroger.
I wrote a scathing letter to them a few years ago because they actually made a friend of mine cry over WIC. She ended up leaving the store with nothing.
edit on 11-10-2012 by chiefsmom because: sp

link   

Originally posted by ga-`tv-gi

Kroger spokesman Glynn Jenkins told 13WMAZ Friday that he could not verify exactly what was said between Nerger and the manager. But he also challenged her version of the story. He said the company is speaking with other employees who witnessed the exchange.

The other side

I will wait till both side weigh in before judging, unlike others

I heard about this story quite a while ago. Apparently she threw a S#!t fit when she was trying to buy some premium foods, (expensive deli meat IIR) on her food card and became very distruptive. The manager finally relented because she was making a scene and backing up the line so he just gave her the extra food to get rid of her. Since then, Krogers has offered her $500 gift certificates twice but she ahs rejected them, hiring a lawyer. She appears to be an entitlement minded individual looking for a paycheck.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by GeneralMishka

If you had properly read the story - you would have realized that the customer was right. All of the groceries in her cart were covered by food stamps.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by havok

Can you explain exactly why this woman should have to discuss her health issues with a grocery store manager? Why should she have to humiliate herself even more than he humilated her?

What might his response have been? (Personally, I think it would have been something along the lines of "well if you weren't so fat, you wouldn't be losing your kidneys!)

The manager was bullying her. Since when did trying to appease a bully ever work.

The grocery store clerk was in the wrong. The customer was right. Instead of offering an apology, the manager offered an insult!

And her response is supposed to be "please sir, don't bully me. I am a sick woman"

Yeah - that'll work. Bullies always restrain themselves when they percieve that their victim is weak.

Tired of Control Freaks

Ever thought that the woman brought up her condition herself to play the victim card?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

She didn't bring up the condition in the store. So I have no clue what you people are even talking about. Read the story.

All the items were covered by food stamps, he didn't "just give them to her"...read the story.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join