It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2012 tc4. Thursday Oct. 11 th. only 59,000 miles from earth,

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I swear I searched....

Slooh will be recording live at 5:30 pm est.......as asteroid makes close approach, it is the size of a ten story building......enjoy the show!

events.slooh.com...

Sorry for the late notice, but we will be tracking newly discovered Asteroid 2012 TC4, which is only 59,000 miles away from Earth - about .25 Lunar Distances! Discovered by Pan-STARRS observatory in Hawaii on October 4th, 2012, Asteroid 2012 TC4 will make its close approach to Earth this week. Slooh Space Camera will cover its near-approach on Thursday, October 11th, live on Slooh.com, free to the public, starting at 2:30 PM PDT / 5:30 PM EDT / 21:30 UTC - accompanied by real-time discussions with Slooh President, Patrick Paolucci, Slooh Outreach Coordinator, Paul Cox, and Astronomy Magazine columnist, Bob Berman. Viewers can watch live on their PC or IOS/Android mobile device. Viewers will be in for a special surprise as Asteroid TC4 will be in the same field of view as the planet Neptune during Slooh’s live coverage. Asteroid 2012 TC4 is estimated to be about 100 feet long (30 meters), which is as tall as a ten story building. At close approach, the asteroid will only be about 0.25 Lunar Distances from Earth (about 88,000 kilometers / 59,000 miles).

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

(WXIA) - An asteroid the size of a 7-to-10 story office building is expected to slide past the Earth early Friday at an altitude of 35,000 miles from the surface.

www.11alive.com...

Another article I found is saying 35,000 miles away......the estimates have gone from about 100,000 miles down to the new figure in a week.....wonder what it will really come in at?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Nice find buddy.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Thank you.....every search I do is giving different numbers.....so this should be fun.

The debate and a NEO....woo hoo!

Earth MOID = .000142331 AU T_jup = 5.002

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I wonder if the fireball over England / Ireland last week or so has anything to do with this asteroid. Not saying this is going to hit us. But it could have come in with the larger object.

At any rate i'll definately be tuning into slooh tomorrow.... Thanks for the post!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I'll be watching this thread...TY for the find.....

Des

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Baldryck

You are welcome.

Keep your eyes up...hopefully we will get to see it with naked eye.

Does anybody know if you can find out what part of earth it will be flying by at closest approach?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
How close would it need to be for it to be pulled in by Earth's gravitation?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

That's a good question too.

I don't know.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Baldryck

The Draconids I believe are making a big shoeing, could have been one of them?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

As more observations are made the close approach distance is refined. It has remained within the margin of error since the first few observations.

FYI, MOID is not the close approach distance.
Closest approach is now calculated to be 58,996 miles with a maximum of 59,029 and a minimum of 58,962. That's a pretty narrow margin of error.

edit on 10/11/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

hopefully we will get to see it with naked eye.

No. Not a chance.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

The orbital calculations include the influence of Earth. It will not be affected enough to strike Earth.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Checked Astro Bobs website, he said it will most likely look like afast moving star.

One of these days I have to invest in a telescope.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by Phage

Checked Astro Bobs website, he said it will most likely look like afast moving star.

Yes. A very faint star if you have a large telescope. It will not be naked eye visible.

it will appear as a very faint, fast-moving star in large amateur telescopes at that time

astrobob.areavoices.com...

edit on 10/11/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The orbital calculations include the influence of Earth. It will not be affected enough to strike Earth.

Party pooper.

And here people could have said that is why Obama did so poorly in the debate. Because he knew that all was lost anyways.

Oh, well, chalk one up for knowledge. Ding one down for conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Well I certainly wasn't going to spin it (excuse the pun) politically or astrologically

The orbital calculations include the influence of Earth.

Can you elaborate. I was responding to the specific distance given (59,000) from earth. I mean I think I understand that earths influence is inclusive to NASA assessing its probability to impact. That's what I am asking. How much closer would it need to be. Educate me, I need it

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
without even looking at the weather forecast I guarantee it will be cloudy, and raining where I am, so naked eye or not I wont get to see it.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

How much closer would it need to be.

I can't tell you that. I don't have the tools.
But it won't be closer so it's sort of irrelevant.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

How much closer would it need to be.

I can't tell you that. I don't have the tools.
But it won't be closer so it's sort of irrelevant.

Now you sound like a car mechanic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join