Borat Is A Religiously vilifying and racist Creation...so why is it not banned?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
reply to post by Josephus

No true I didn't , sort of the whole point of the thread though.
All races and cultures make fun of themselves, individuals do as well.
But offence is taken , when others ridicule those same entitys and individuals espescially when it portrays them as Borat portrays The Kafghanistanis and the Muslim faith.

Its about respect.

Is Borat a Muslim, where in the movie did they make him even remotely Muslim?

I cant wait for someone to answer this.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Ok? His first mainstream films then, sorry I didn't see the first. Doesn't change my point. Maybe you want to look past the racism because you have been laughing but normally consider yourself pretty attuned to racism?
edit on 11-10-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Then you are absolutely, without one doubt, blind.
How on EARTH could you not consider Borat racist? Why such a focus on middle eastern characters in his movies? Then a pretty outrageous parody of gay people.

Actually now that I think of it, his movies have ONLY been racist (towards muslims) and perhaps not homophobic, but definitely not supportive of gay people. I mean he portrays Muslims as ignorant, violent criminals, and gays as sexual deviants.

Because I'm not a humourless reactionary.

Christ, if you think Sacha Baron Cohen is offensive, I REALLY suggest you never visit the UK. Your fragile sentiments would be shattered under the sheer magnitude of intelligently, offensive satire and parody - how about you try and get Peter Cook banned, or Chris Morris or Armando Ianucci.

Are you equally offended at 'the thick of it'? What about the Brass eye special? or 'On the hour' , or 'Jam' or the radio version 'blue Jam'....

Seriously....If something offends you, don't watch it.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by InhaleExhale

reply to post by Josephus

No true I didn't , sort of the whole point of the thread though.
All races and cultures make fun of themselves, individuals do as well.
But offence is taken , when others ridicule those same entitys and individuals espescially when it portrays them as Borat portrays The Kafghanistanis and the Muslim faith.

Its about respect.

Is Borat a Muslim, where in the movie did they make him even remotely Muslim?

I cant wait for someone to answer this.

He never stated he was Muslim, that was a massive assumption by the American audience.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
What do you make of this?

www.metro.co.uk...

In his first interview about the hit film not conducted in the Borat persona, the comedian said the joke was not on Kazakhstan - which has talked of suing him over his portrayal of the country - but on those who believed such a backward place could exist.

He plays on the IGNORANCE of the audience.

news.bbc.co.uk...

"By himself being anti-Semitic, he lets people lower their guard and expose their own prejudice, whether it's anti-Semitism or an acceptance of anti-Semitism."

He added: "I think part of the movie shows the absurdity of holding any form of racial preju

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by Dr Expired

I think you need a break. You're lost in a swirl of self indulgence over something that only makes sense to you. You aren't paying any attention to the sound words being said to you.

jmoho....Des

If I didn't have a sense of humor I wouldn't be laughing very loudly as I type these words scaring the dog.

Personal insults are fine the last resort if you like , but how about debating the issue?

The post of yours reeks of cowardice.
edit on 11-10-2012 by Dr Expired because: claryfying

How about bringing an issue to the table to debate.

Personal insults are fine you say well that's great and you give a great example of implying Destiny is a coward.

You sure are a brave soldier, fighting for righteousness

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobertF

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

What about ....the Zohan.

Dont mess with that guy.

Would you like some Hummus?

(I love Zohan, it makes me laugh every time I see it. Stupid? Juvenile? Typipcal Adam Sandler schitck? Yes to all of hte above, but for some reason it strikes my funny bone.)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Me either. I actually have a great sense of humor and the furthest thing from a "humorless reactionary" I went and saw the first movie because I thought it looked funny and I didn't give it a second thought until years later. I am just as guilty as you of supporting the guy (though I didn't see Bruno in theatre nor dictator, because they were absolute garbage).

The fact is it is racist. And the fact that you don't see a pattern with this means you aren't looking. I don't know if he is a zionist (no, it's not a racist term, it's a real thing), but his mother was Isreali and I think his relentless attacks on Muslims is suspect and I think his choice to attack Ron Paul (possible because Ron Paul supports ending our aid to Israel and not supporting a war in Iran, maybe not, but think about it) was reprehensible.

From wiki.

Criticism by Kazakhstan Borat has had a history of controversy with the government of Kazakhstan. In 2005, following Borat's appearance at the MTV Movie Awards, the country's Foreign Ministry threatened to sue Sacha Baron Cohen, and Borat's "Kazakh-based" website, www.borat.kz, was taken down.[91][92] A meeting between Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev and U.S. President George W. Bush in September 2006 had Kazakhstan's post-Borat international image among the items on the agenda.[93] Kazakhstan also launched a multi-million dollar "Heart of Eurasia" campaign to counter the Borat effect; Baron Cohen replied by denouncing the campaign at an in-character press conference in front of the White House as the propaganda of the "evil nitwits" of Uzbekistan.[94] Uzbekistan is, throughout the film, referred to by Borat as his nation's leading problem—leaving aside the Jews. The Central Asian distributor of 20th Century Fox, Gemini Films, complied with a Kazakh government request to not release the film.[6] The Kazakh tabloid Karavan declared Borat to be the best film of the year, having had a reviewer see the film at a screening in Vienna. The paper claimed that it was "...certainly not an anti-Kazakh, anti-Romanian or anti-Semitic" film but rather "cruelly anti-American ... amazingly funny and sad at the same time."[95] Another favorable word came from Kazakh novelist Sapabek Asip-uly, who suggested Baron Cohen be nominated for the annual award bestowed by the Kazakh Club of Art Patrons. In a letter published by the newspaper Vremya, Asip-uly wrote, "(Borat) has managed to spark an immense interest of the whole world in Kazakhstan—something our authorities could not do during the years of independence. If state officials completely lack a sense of humor, their country becomes a laughing stock."[96] Amazon UK has also reported significant numbers of orders of Borat on DVD from Kazakhstan.[97] The film is also watched regularly by the Kazakhstan national football team's players.[98] In March 2012, the parody national anthem from the film, which acclaims Kazakhstan for its high-quality potassium exports and having the second cleanest prostitutes in the region, was mistakenly played at the H.H. The Amir of Kuwait International Shooting Grand Prix in Kuwait. The Gold Winning medalist, Maria Dmitrienko, stood on the dais while the entire parody was played. The team complained, and the award ceremony was restaged. The incident apparently resulted from the wrong song being downloaded from the Internet.[99][100]

Accusations of racism The European Center for Antiziganism Research, which works against negative attitudes toward Roma people, filed a complaint[101] with German prosecutors on October 18, 2006, based on Borat's references to Gypsies in his film. The complaint accuses him of defamation and inciting violence against an ethnic group.[102] As a consequence, 20th Century Fox declared that it would remove all parts referring to Roma people from trailers shown on German television as well as on the movie's website.[103] Before the release of the film, the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) released a statement expressing concern over Borat's characteristic anti-Semitism.[104] Both Cohen, who is Jewish, and the ADL have stated that the film uses the titular character to expose prejudices felt or tolerated by others,[105] but the ADL expressed concern that some audiences might remain oblivious to this aspect of the film's humor while "some may even find it reinforcing their bigotry."[106]

Censorship in the Arab world The film was banned in the entire Arab world (with the exception of Lebanon).[5][107] Yousuf Abdul Hamid, a film censor for Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, called the film "vile, gross and extremely ridiculous." The censor said that he and his colleagues had walked out on their screening before it had ended, and that only half an hour of the movie would be left once all the offensive scenes were removed.[107]

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

For those who not know of Borat.
www.movieministry.com...

Is Borat allowed to be aired because of the actors own religion?

Imagine if Borat was a depiction of an Israeli Jew.

It would never ever be aired on TV , or shown in the theatre.

The creator would be charged.

So why the double standard?

That is probably right. I think Borat gets away with his sacrilege because it is a comedy designed to entertain rather than a political piece designed to rile up the natives into shooting someone. And by "comedy" I am speaking very loosely. There is little comedic about it unless you are a "Muslim hater" and then you might find it a hoot but I think we can attribute that to low brain activity. I am waiting for the day, and it is around the corner, when Christians and Jews are so blasphemed. I would like to see how they react. I would like to see if they can laugh it off and take a joke.
Somebody's gonna die.
edit on 11-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

No. He plays on the ignorance of people that believe that garbage. The movie was so far from that message it's absurd. It was 100 percent aimed at making fun of Muslims and anyone that thinks otherwise is being ignorant. I sincerely think you need a refresher on the movie, or maybe it's just you. It's funny to me that you are defending a racist movie, that millions upon millions of people were offended by and considered it an attack on their culture and faith. If you actually think about what he is claiming was the motive, you will see that that's a load of garbage, but I honestly think as a fan you don't want to believe that.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

Years ago... back in the middle 1950s.... thr Catholic Church (and elementary school) i attended
had a bulletin board posted right before you entered, i guess it was called a vestibule,
the list was edited weekly for all the current movies that were acceptable to watch

All other movies ...not on the list ... were banned to be seen by the parishinors

i reckon this was before the movie ratings system ..(PG-14/G/ R / X / etc)

of course i would scan the movies in the newspapers... I would look at the Graphics & Titles to try& figure out why the movie was banned from seeing... some were obvious, sex, blood, in the promos
edit on 11-10-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

Uh, not quite. The movies were not banned for people to watch, the list was a guide as to what was consistent with Catholic moral teachings. It is not unusual or that crazy for a church to point out what is consistent with its morality or not.

Of course I used the list to figure out what movies I wanted to see!
Why would a teenage boy bother to try to get into an R rated film if there was no boobies in it.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

No.. Borat get's away with it because in the western world it's ok to be racist towards Muslims. That's it.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

For those who not know of Borat.
www.movieministry.com...

Is Borat allowed to be aired because of the actors own religion?

Imagine if Borat was a depiction of an Israeli Jew.

It would never ever be aired on TV , or shown in the theatre.

The creator would be charged.

So why the double standard?

That is probably right. I think Borat gets away with his sacrilege because it is a comedy designed to entertain rather than a political piece designed to rile up the natives into shooting someone. I am waiting for the day, and it is around the corner when Christians and Jews are so blasphemed. I would like to see how they react.
edit on 11-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

Happens all the time. Christ is mocked quite frequently. Mostly we see (shudder) strongly worded letters to the editor.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

No. He plays on the ignorance of people that believe that garbage. The movie was so far from that message it's absurd. It was 100 percent aimed at making fun of Muslims and anyone that thinks otherwise is being ignorant. I sincerely think you need a refresher on the movie, or maybe it's just you. It's funny to me that you are defending a racist movie, that millions upon millions of people were offended by and considered it an attack on their culture and faith. If you actually think about what he is claiming was the motive, you will see that that's a load of garbage, but I honestly think as a fan you don't want to believe that.

Mr lizard gave a great explanation about how it shows the ignorance of those who he encounters.

This thread does the same thing with some posters.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

No.. Borat get's away with it because in the western world it's ok to be racist towards Muslims. That's it.

So is the issue the character Borat or how most of western society is ignorant beyond belief?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

I am patiently waiting for the "Absurdity of Christ" to come out depicting Jesus as a gay man who was having relations with all of the Apostles and the animals of the manger.

After that there will be "Torah! Torah! Torah!" A slapstick comedy about an enthusiastic Hasidic Jew who goes door to door selling the Holy book like an encyclopedia salesman. In a few scenes with the farmers daughter and of course the barnyard animals...the Hasid is shown finally showing the world what they are wearing under all that black garb. I understand when you pull a string the Rabbi spits out a candy like a PEZ dispenser.

It is going to be a hoot.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

So is the issue the character Borat or how most of western society is ignorant beyond belief?

Now THAT is a tough call.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

Yeah.. it does the the same thing with posters, those that don't think for themselves such as you.

There are ignorant people in every culture. You can walk out on the street and you can always find someone ignorant. Digging around and shooting scenes with multiple people until you find one ignorant enough that you get the shot is no different then scripting a scene. In the end you just have a racist movie, you just have a mean spirited parody and does it teach people anything? Or do they just go out and do bad imitations at thet expense of their Muslim friends and co workers.
Don't be ignorant. You sincerely believe that it's more likely that he is trying to do something positive for Muslims rather than maybe as a Jewish person and supporter of Israel maybe he just wasn't doing exactly what it looks like? Being a racist? Where do you think the character came from? A desire to show people that that's not what some Muslims are like, or to make fun of them and imply they are.

Think for yourself.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

It's with Borat, because people become and remain ignorant due to the perpetuation of stereotypes, and that is what Borat is. Borat is cultural trash.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Mr lizard gave a great explanation about how it shows the ignorance of those who he encounters.

This thread does the same thing with some posters.

Ahh....a veiled insult to disrespect someone complaining of small minded racists.
Clever. Nobody is going to see through that. Shows how big that mind actually is.
Broad and expansive ...yet barren and empty like the desert.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join