It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borat Is A Religiously vilifying and racist Creation...so why is it not banned?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired

Originally posted by Monger

Originally posted by boncho

reply to post by Monger

Name one mainstream movie or TV show in the west that regularly ridicules Israeli Jews via a fictional character creation.

I will wait forever, prove me wrong.

Family Guy
Seinfeld
South Park
-

I'd say south park gets the most credit there, but pretty much any show that stereotypes them for being cheap...

This. I was just going to say South Park, but here are several more examples. No need to 'wait forever'. Oh, the hyperbole.

Also, Kazakh is not a distinct race by anybody's definition. Kazakhstan is a country, that's not a secret, and a culture, but not a race, therefore it's a misnomer to call Borat racist against them. It's also factually wrong, as Borat is satire, which you don't seem to understand.

Nazi Germany was big on satire, very big.
Satire is used by all sorts of people, and not only for intellectual reasons.
Its often a forerunner to action.
I do understand satire, but thanks for the judgement of my intelligence.

You entirely miss the point.

No, I'm not missing the point at all. I just happen to think that your point is hopelessly stupid and flawed from the get-go. There's a pretty key difference there, see if you can't spot it.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

reply to post by boncho

They are all Jewish creations ie the creators are Jewish.
And Israeli Jews are not main theme of the show.
Also Borat is not just about this latest movie, the more disturbing racism was regularly and is regularly repeated on the Cohen comedy half hour show.
Where he regularly had borat featured.

If you don't like Borat...don't watch it...simples.....

Des

edit on 11-10-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

reply to post by Monger

Name one mainstream movie or TV show in the west that regularly ridicules Israeli Jews via a fictional character creation.

I will wait forever, prove me wrong.

You didn't say anything about the creators needing to be Muslim.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Muslims were to busy burning american flags and storming our embassy over a Muhammad movie.

As a direct result of that, they were too busy to sit down and direct a film about Jews.

There I solved it.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Josephus

No true I didn't , sort of the whole point of the thread though.
All races and cultures make fun of themselves, individuals do as well.
But offence is taken , when others ridicule those same entitys and individuals espescially when it portrays them as Borat portrays The Kafghanistanis and the Muslim faith.

Its about respect.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Have you seen The Dictator? Also done by Sacha Baron Cohen who is Jewish in real life and plays a Muslim middle eastern dictator. He dumps on everyone in the movie. At the end, he marries a girl and on finding out she's Jewish, orders her shot to death.

Nothing racist about Sacha Baron Cohen's movies - it's just comedy. You cannot go around banning everything you disagree with.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
Muslims were to busy burning american flags and storming our embassy over a Muhammad movie.

As a direct result of that, they were too busy to sit down and direct a film about Jews.

There I solved it.

And the double standards just keep on keeping on.
So muslim filmakers and creators are all doing the things you describe, none want to get aired a pay back Borat character that depicts an israeli Jew as Cohen depicts the Kafghani Muslim?

Or is that this is just not possible in the west due to vilification laws?

The laws should apply to all.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Kazakh is an ethnicity not a race.

The comparisons to a repressive society, such as the Nazi's, is not applicable here as this is America and you can find examples of extreme stereotyping of all races and ethnicities in our media. We are equal opportunity bigots - especially in the realm of satire. In a repressive society such expression would not be tolerated in the inverse.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Or is that this is just not possible in the west due to vilification laws?

That has been explained to you already, its called freedom of speech, it is the first amendment of our constitution and a sacred cornerstone of our Republic.

The whole world is not united under the banner of islam.

The only double standard is the one you are presenting. If you want to make a film about Jews, fine go ahead.

So its a double standard if a Jew makes a film about muslims, but not a film written by muslims about jews?

You find that offensive? Good, I hope you do.
edit on 11-10-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I think most thinking people without an agenda or entrenched bias, will see very opaquely the "denying of ignorance point of this thread.
Sadly and transparently some things are not to spoken of, in Nazi germany people were terrified to speak out against the treatment of Jews, lest it offend the Nazis.
Some things never ever change.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Sadly and transparently some things are not to spoken of, in Nazi germany people were terrified to speak out against the treatment of Jews, lest it offend the Nazis.
Some things never ever change.

and you don't see the irony in your post?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

I think you need a break. You're lost in a swirl of self indulgence over something that only makes sense to you. You aren't paying any attention to the sound words being said to you.

jmoho....Des

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

I think you need a break. You're lost in a swirl of self indulgence over something that only makes sense to you. You aren't paying any attention to the sound words being said to you.

jmoho....Des

If I didn't have a sense of humor I wouldn't be laughing very loudly as I type these words scaring the dog.

Personal insults are fine the last resort if you like , but how about debating the issue?

The post of yours reeks of cowardice.
edit on 11-10-2012 by Dr Expired because: claryfying

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

because it's post modern irony???

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

You forgot the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the Huguenot wars, and Salem witch trials.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

jmoho....Des

If I didn't have a sense of humor I wouldn't be laughing very loudly as I type these words scaring the dog.

Personal insults are fine the last resort if you like , but how about debating the issue?

I choose not to debate with a person I consider emotionally imbalanced. There is no basis for a debate. I stated my only logical opinion regarding your topic, and stand by it.

Des

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Charged with what? where do you want to start censoring?

Its called free speech here in America, and even it was hateful it would still be covered under satire.

Go preach censorship somewhere else.

You may not like what it says, but here in America where the movie was produced we allow people to express themselves freely.
edit on 11-10-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

So are you seriously saying if the butt of the whole Borat creation was demonstrably an Israeli Jew it would allowed to be aired across the world?
Iam talking about equality.
The double standard is dangerous, in Nazi Germany, in Maosist China in Stalins USSR ...some were allowed to kill others by the millions with impunity.
Such is selective application of the law

First rule of Internet arguing, once you throw in nazi or hitler you already lost.

Clearly you have no desire to actually debate, when people prove you wrong you simply ignore their argument, as in the post that have brought up family guy.

Jewish people are made fun of in much of the media, just like everyone else.

But again your not interested in fact only in pushing an agenda that Muslims shouldn't be made fun of.

You do not have the right to silence anyone's voice simply because you don't like what's being said.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

I have top disagree; the Jews had a long history of being purged that dates back to the crusades. Here's some info from Wikipedia:

Civil rights granted to Jews in Germany, following the occupation of that country by the French under Napoleon, were rescinded after his defeat. Pleas to retain them by diplomats at the Congress of Vienna peace conference (1814–5) were unsuccessful. In 1819, German Jews were attacked in the Hep-Hep riots. Full Jewish emancipation was not granted in Germany until 1871, when the country was united under the Hohenzollern dynasty.

In 1850, the German composer Richard Wagner published Das Judenthum in der Musik ("Jewishness in Music") under a pseudonym in the Neue Zeitschrift für Musik. The essay began as an attack on Jewish composers, particularly Wagner's contemporaries (and rivals) Felix Mendelssohn and Giacomo Meyerbeer, but expanded to accuse Jewish influences more widely of being a harmful and alien element in German culture.

The term "antisemitism" was coined by the German agitator and publicist, Wilhelm Marr in 1879. In that year, Marr founded the Antisemites League and published a book called Victory of Jewry over Germandom. The late 1870s saw the growth of antisemitic political parties in Germany. These included the Christian Social Party, founded in 1878 by Adolf Stoecker, the Lutheran chaplain to Kaiser Wilhelm I, as well as a German Social Antisemitic Party and an Antisemitic People's Party. However, they did not enjoy mass electoral support and at their peak in 1907, had only 16 deputies out of a total of 397 in the Reichstag.

The defeat of France in the Franco-Prussian War (1870–1) was blamed by some on the Jews. Jews were accused of weakening the national spirit through association with republicanism, capitalism and anti-clericalism, particularly by authoritarian, right wing, clerical and royalist groups. These accusations were spread in antisemitic journals such as La Libre Parole, founded by Edouard Drumont and La Croix, the organ of the Catholic order of the Assumptionists.

Financial scandals such as the collapse of the Union Generale Bank and the collapse of the French Panama Canal operation were also blamed on the Jews. The Dreyfus affair saw a Jewish military officer named Captain Alfred Dreyfus falsely accused of treason in 1895 by his army superiors and sent to Devil's Island after being convicted. Dreyfus was acquitted in 1906, but the case polarised French opinion between antisemitic authoritarian nationalists and philosemitic anti-clerical republicans, with consequences which were to resonate into the 20th century.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

jmoho....Des

I choose not to debate with a person I consider emotionally imbalanced. There is no basis for a debate. I stated my only logical opinion regarding your topic, and stand by it.

Des

More personal insults , getting very desperate now, you are as transparent as the reason for the number of stars each of your insulting posts get .
Its actually quite boring to realise how hypocritical race and vilification laws are.
Or it would be if we didn't know the horrors of history.
Iam neither Muslim nor Jewish, but simply wish for equality.
It is true as it was as it wasalways, some are more equal than others, and some less equal than others.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Oh of course you are right, silly me , you actually by your typed words proved my point thanks matey.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join