It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borat Is A Religiously vilifying and racist Creation...so why is it not banned?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Intent is hard to prove as far as Cohen goes.
I have read the opinions of the Kafaghnis .... about Cohens character they are insulted and angry.
Yet he makes one show after another he tours he is on billboards across the globe..

They say its satire and no doubt some of it is low grade schoolboy level satire.

But the most satirical aspect is Cohen a Jewish right winger thinking its satirical to stereotype and vilify an entire nation.
Years ago the English did the same in relation to the Irish and the Germans.
It is now not lawful.
I hear your heart when you say its nanny fanny ish to outlaw insults.
But its like the guys who made the movie about the Islamic prophet...they inflamed the tensions between islamists and christians to the point that in Sydney Australia there were muslims rioting in central sydney.
We live in a melting pot world ...we do not want to alienate the muslims there number is huge.
They have zeal energy...we need to be awre of that.
Cohen is just fuelling the resentment.
The world has changed its not just about making Pals with the German or the Russian or the Brit or the texan its about knowing that some are so deeply offended that they will kill to avenge their idea of god.

We need to be more culturally aware .
You cannot ridicule and belittle anyone and expect them to really be hunky dory about it.
Its stored up and filed away perhaps but never ever forgotten.
Cohen should know this...yet he hides behind the satirical excuse.
H eis no fool he knows and is following an agenda in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Cultural awareness is a two way street. in the US we coined the phrase "melting pot". Before us, there was no such concept. In response to this melting pot, to these crowded cities with formerly distant peoples now sharing apartment buildings and church services, a major way that was developed to learn about each other is to have some fun.

Like I said, if poking fun is not a two way street, obviously it is wrong.

But making light of cultural differences is a way that seems to be an American cultural trait. And i would say that, judging by the way the comedians sell out to both genders and all races, it is pretty popular to laugh at each other.....and ourselves. At least in America. Perhaps if the rest of the world was more sensitive to THAT culture, we wouldn't see rioting in Sydney.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Yeah poking fun is not going to set off ww3 espescially if all parties are of the same religion but just of slightly differing cultures.

Unfortunately so many western people unintentionally offend Muslims by not respecting allah in terms of how they dress how they drink ho wthey allow women freedoms(sic).

Yet these highly sensititive people can't see the double standard when they call for christmas and easter celebrations to be banned ...because it offends their beliefs...even though they are in a christian nation...and they knew that before applying for asylum or migrating.

So both sides feel aggrieved...the result is warfare unless we moderate by enacting law.

And that law has to apply equally to all.

I may feel aggreived of how the west seemingly is being transformed in all the major western capitals by the building of new mosques the neck to ankle garb that men and women wear who follow traditional islam ect ect...but that is legal.
I cannot hate themn for changing my nation by their presence and the blatant expression of their homelands culture and religion.
They have lawfullly arrived that is the crux...so I have to respect them.
That is what this thread is about...respect...and civility.
Not the easy target shootig down of minoritys concept as Cohen exploits for profit and agenda related outcomes.

The ten commandments became part of our souls by the adherence to them.
As we should adhere to the principoles in law of not vilifying those who have no medium in which to respond.
In the end we are all humans a poke in the ribs is oK but a poke in the eye ...hurts.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

I don't think you and I will agree. What you propose goes against the very fabric that I am woven from. I firmly believe that when free men need laws, they are no longer fit for freedom And I firmly believe myself to be wholly fit for freedom.

If you are offended by what I say, you are the one with a problem, not me. Why would we need a law to keep you from having a problem, when the easier solution is to tell you to just not have that problem, and get over it?

A cornerstone concept of "rights" is that yours do not trump mine. No one should ever have a right to not be offended, as it would require the stifling of someone else's right to freedom of expression.

I'm sorry.....it really does baffle me to see someone defending as logical laws that stifle free speech.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I respect your beliefs...but it is slightly ironic that ATS enforces anti vilification policy here on the forums.

They in fact have rules that mirror the laws that you find go against your essence.

Often I have let trollish replies to my post slide but I know that there are very few posts left on this forum that contain direct insulting attacks on someones religious background.
They are removed by the moderators as are personal attacks formed in words.
Something to ponder.
And if a survey was conducted I believe we would find ATS is so popular because of these rules.
We all bend them at times couching our language but that is an intellectual game but if it offends someone they have the right to have that post removed if it transgresses the ATS rules.
That's is all Iam arguing for.
Tell me as a moderator would cohens innuendo racial slurs ect be allowed to be posted on ATS in a religious discussion forum?
That is my entire point.
Why is he not censored when he breaks most of Britains and Australias laws?
By the very fact he is not a Kafghani nor a muslim but a british/Israeli Jewish person...then it should come under racial and religious vilification laws in Britain at the very least.
But to end...I understand entirely your reasons for your stance.
I now the south is portrayed as a land of rednecks.. racists...backwood phsycos ect by Hollywood in particular.
very often in drama shows without any hint of satire or humor.
But as you say the USA if it has no such laws then southerners will have to endure the vilifying by new York writers/producers who follow their own agenda.
In the end it is all good.

link   
Sorry double post
edit on 2-11-2012 by Dr Expired because: d post

link   
Sorry triple post
edit on 2-11-2012 by Dr Expired because: T. post

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join