It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE POWER GOES OUT - What should you do?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
You guys, and me, with generators: how long do you think a gas powered generator is going to run when gas will literally be unavailable after about a week of a "lights out" situation?

Yeah, I have one. But I also know that I am not gonna get much use out of it.

Exactly !
stop depending on machines that runs on gas
Water,Wind,Fire - Solar and Bio energy is free
no need for the disgusting smelly polluting fossil oil

pumping this dark substance is like sucking Mother Earth blood from her veins

we are not vampires

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Actually, you'd be better off heading to the.... LIBRARY!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
In the past couple of years I have built solar panels from solar cells and installed enough of them to run the essentials, refrigerator, freezers, well, and some lights. I live on a small 40 acre farm and raise a large garden, a couple of beef cattle, a couple of pigs, have some chickens, and ponds for the animals and some fish in them.
Hope I never need to use this for an extended period of time, but if it happens my family can get by, not luxury but we would survive.
I guess everyone should do the best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I and my family have a comprehensive plan, even if we can't communicate. They all know what to do and where to meet if something "weird" happens. We've had our discussion and made our plan.
I also have solar power, food, guns, ammo, cash and PM's, medical supplies and knowledge (I'm an RN).
I'm as ready as can be without obsessing.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

What should you do??? Be prepared always.
I have been without power during and after hurricanes, its horrible. Weird that you started this thread because I was thinking the same thing last night. The show that is on TV right now Revolution I think its called. I thought it was pretty extreme when I watched it, being that it was only 5 months after the power went out. Then I thought its not extreme at all. We are so used to living with conveniences that many of us are not prepared at all. So I do believe people will become desperate pretty quickly. Especially those unprepared.
Do a search on ATS. There are many well thought out excellent threads and additional links on what to do just in case of any situation.
PS: Learn how the Amish do it.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I call BGE.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustSlowlyBackAway
reply to post by r2d246

Fire up the generator and plug in the refrigerator and freezer? Possibly draw some water and fill the tub and water storage containers? Check lanterns and candles for light....

How did I do?

Just Fine ...I aways keep about 25 gallons of gas for my 20 amp generator , 3 20 pound tanks of propane, also have 8 old fashioned kerosine lanterns,candles and 15 cans of gas for my Coleman grill.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
better have enough gas (stabilized gas!!) for those generators !!!!!

I've got 5 - 55gal drums full (275 gal) pour a couple cans of seafoam into them once a year (I cycle the gas out for lawnmowers and it works just fine). Even with that amount-I would still be VERY FRUGAL with my generator. I also have a 1000watt solar generator. I use this one for small appliances.
One of these isnt bad either WIND UP AM/FM Radio w/ weatherband & USB charging port
I have one of these and the cell phone charging feature works on my android (just hope I would have data on my phone to get on ATS
)

With all of that...I would just try and ride it out and hope for the best, using what ammenities I have.

GOOD LUCK !!!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I don't know why you all would rough it.... I would crank up the heater, make some microwave popcorn and watch a Blu ray til the electricity came back on. Wait, no...I would probably just do some Internet shopping.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Stand a post at my door with a barrel pointed at the peephole with one hand. Beef Jerky in the other and warm beer on a tray within reach... which will not go to waste.

edit on 12-10-2012 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well if it was a EMP then people with heart pacers will all die also people who are on oxygen will be next then people who use escalators in their homes will have to stay either upstairs or downstairs. Security cameras and alarm systems will be out. I would eat all the ice cream first then after that drink all the milk then eat the cheese with crackers of course then sit down and wait. The barby will still work so i could make the chicken thighs and eat them. After that is too far for me to think about.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I live in a class A motor home so the only thing i have to do is check for EMP.
with a full 100 gal tank i can last for over one month without power as i have solar and a high amp charger for charging my batteries with my built in generator if needed.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
There is snow on the ground right now and the temperature is at or below freezing, and getting colder, so for me, the first need is warmth. I suppose I could build an igloo for the winter, because the inside of the house will be freezing once the furnace goes out.

I can melt all the snow I need for water.
I can put my freezer food outside and it will stay frozen. But I will need a box to keep the animals out.

I have a backyard fire pit and bbq to cook on.
I have the keys to the old grocery store I used to work at
, as well as the keys to the bay door.
Food would be my second concern, because if the SHTF long term, I am going to starve without hunting because the growing season is short this far north.
And I'm no hunter/gardener...

edit on 12-10-2012 by smilesmcgee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 3litechasr

Not to belabor the point... the first things?
Check the circuit breakers... lock and load... check the perimeter.
Hope like Hell the generators work. Hunker down and communicate.
And then wait. I am prepared.

edit on 12-10-2012 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Have some candles and a few lighters at the ready.
Might even be able to barter them for 'whateva'.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus
Always have a supply of 'dried goods' ie. food that does not need refrigeration. Living in the city would be more dangerous no doubt.

I live in the rural part of my state. I often times encounter the power going out. I have lanterns that use kerosene and dried wood for the fire pit, and to heat my home. Two wells with bucket access, and a pond of about an acre and a half stocked with quite a population of fish. Also arms to protect everything with..... as do my neighbors. We are a close knit group, and look after each other. That is my preparedness. We could bring substantial deterrent to bear.

Funny thing, I heard so many people chime in that have a nice set up like this. But it's actually there down fall. The false sense of security.

Lets say the SHTF gangs start to form in the city. They get a leader. lets say there's 20 of them. Lets say some are ex army even. They're holding out in the city with what little they got left. They've already learned to fight, kill, steal etc. They have ample weapons. They'll do anything to survive.

Theyre talking one night, and realize that to stay in the city would be suicide. And that they need to get out while they still can. So they decide to take a chance and venture out into the country. They decide that what they'd do is find a small farm or acreage to take over. One which might allow them to farm and survive that way.

They roll up to your acerage prepared to take it. Meanwhile your out tiling the field or asleep, or just eating your breakfast. The door breaks open, your caught off guard. Your killed or taken prisoner. And they take over.

This is likely what will happen in lot of cases. Or if they're smart they'll send one attractive girl in on foot. She'll act like she's a straggler who managed to get away and has no where to go. Maybe you take her in, maybe you don't. If you take her in she knows the whole layout, how many people, what kind of guns etc etc. Even if you don't she might see how many people are on the farm, like usually 1 or 2 families.

next thing she (or maybe it's a he) goes back and reports to the gang who's camped out near by what's going on. Maybe then even sneaks back to the farm, knowing full well when they group plans to invade. So the person hides all or most of the families guns just before. Then the invaders come, and people try looking for the guns but no one can find any and they're overrun.

I'm just saying that what will happen is that the strongest, most prepared, most highly trained, and best armed, if they get desperate enough, they could likely take over anyones farm or acerage. That's why these militia types what they tend to have are compounds or mini fortoresses. They're well fortified to keep out invaders. Where 99.99% of farms and acerages are just open and ripe for the picking! That barbed wire fense isn't gonna keep anyone out! fyi

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 1BornPatriot

Good thought, I have a smoker & I was going to post that I would thin slice & smoke all the meat I happen to have on hand; if I took your advice I could pick up the meat at the market & multiply my first idea.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I would light a candle if it was night time.
If there is still sunlight i would open a book and lay back.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by JustSlowlyBackAway

And lock and load.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledgedesired
reply to post by tinker9917

Back up generators are pretty common these days

Apparently not where I live

The electrcity ws out for a few hours here a few months ago and the stores and restraunts ALL closed. No groceries, no gas, no dollar general, no Pizza

edit on 14-10-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join