It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE POWER GOES OUT - What should you do?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Act like the government,
they build the best mouse traps, and lure us,
into wanting these services.
Electricity like this thread is one of the great mouse traps.
Lets get these mice addicted to electricity,
and then take it away,
and see if they do what we expect them to do.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Minimal light and quick comms check to see if there if the radio carries the cause. Next steps would always depend on the likely cause and a bit of info would help.

Then it's a choose-your-own-adventure. ;-)

-Mags

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I feel this thread may be a mouse trap,
what bait will I respond too.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
There is a reason with their propaganda machines,
they always repeat one thing.
Go To The Light, Follow The Light.

edit on 11-10-2012 by Rudy2shoes because: spell

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Before 1940 you were ignorant if you acted like a moth,
drawn to the flame.
Then the messaged changed.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Well, it'll be a great night for star gazing...no more light pollution.

But I've camped and roughed it most of my life, so bit will be a distraction, but not a biggie.. If after three peaceable days with no power, I'm heading back to family.

Only people who are easily scared are upset at this scenario. Life will carry on
edit on 11-10-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

What I wanted to add was say the power stayed out for days even weeks. And eventually you realized it's not coming back on, NOT EVER!!!!

What would you do?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Eat ice cream before it melts. I always keep oil lamps on hand also.

You've been watching revolution!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by workinrampage
reply to post by r2d246

Get out the guns. Nobody's getting into my pad. Fire up the generator and watch some revolution. Ill probably go pick up grandma first though.

I'll get my stuff ready. Come pick me up to. That's only if you're headed to a nice beach house somewhere, fully stocked and running off the grid. ha ha.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
For any power outage I generally ensure I have access to my "go bag" and verify my small cache of food/water/firearms/medication etc. Although In a long term outage like say a solar flare or large emp... I'd be dead in a matter of weeks. (Type 1 diabetic with no way to store or get Insulin)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rudy2shoes
Act like the government,
they build the best mouse traps, and lure us,
into wanting these services.
Electricity like this thread is one of the great mouse traps.
Lets get these mice addicted to electricity,
and then take it away,
and see if they do what we expect them to do.

That's a bizzare thought. You think they're really THAT forward thinking and diabolical?
edit on 11-10-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Why I'd sneak into a nursing home. Pretend to be a patient there, and while everyone else is out robbing gun stores, stocking up food from restaurants, stealing booze and eating ice cream, I'll be slowly boiling old people for their fat, eating the plump ones, and stockpiling all their old folk meds so I can entertain visitors who come for dinner

Oh and I'll change my name to Monroe and ride horses and stuff!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AbhorrentAggression
For any power outage I generally ensure I have access to my "go bag" and verify my small cache of food/water/firearms/medication etc. Although In a long term outage like say a solar flare or large emp... I'd be dead in a matter of weeks. (Type 1 diabetic with no way to store or get Insulin)

Find the drugstore stock up,more than likely the doors will allready be open,shoot a crack head get your insulin & move on...grab some antibiotic on the way out........

I will get up like allways no power???get ready ,go to work drive if the truck starts into the big city,if the truck wont start "cuss" find out the car wont start,try to call in "phone wont work that happens sometimes"
watch the sun come up..."day one" grab a gun of choice hike 5 miles to nearest house...
Lets see what happens next...........

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

And you'd get a brand

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
The power goes out, all the lights go out even the street lights and what would be the first thing I do?

Look up at the stars and see them for the first time without all the damn light pollution.
Then I'd turn on the geni and get the fridge working just like I did last time.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This reminds me, I have to go run my generators before it gets too stormy.
I've been busy playing with our wood cookstove, making pizzas, pies, roast with potatoes, coffee, etc to get used to it. I had to cut a lot of firewood shorter so it could be used in it. We have kerosine lanterns, candles, flashlights and extra batteries, a Coleman stove, grills full of gas, got a bushel of potatoes in the storage area, food stores are up to par, etc... Don't worry, since we are so prepared, nothing is going to happen longterm. I'm positive of this, every time I get prepared, nothing happens. Maybe people around here should pay me to be prepared, that would be the best insurance policy they could buy

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Because I am ready for such a situation, and many others...

No ATM... I have cash and LOADS of silver coins, both 1oz and junk, in my gun safe

My gun(s) are always ready

I have 1 year of emergency storable food, a propane Coleman stove to cook it, and a gravity fed water filter. I can get my water from ANY source if need be.

I have LED lanterns, candles, flashlights and batteries for months

And the solar powered generator I have is quiet as a mouse and will provide me with endless power while not brining attention to the fact that I have a generator due to its quietness. My hand crank, hand held "pocket socket" will provide me the means of keeping my phone and other small electronic devices charged.

I have several portable AC/Heat fans that can be used in summer to keep cool, and winter to keep warm. They will be plugged into my quiet solar powered generator, along with the fridge.

Next Question

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dayve

Not that funny. You're the kind of survivalist that most of us here are preparing for. Once things break down, don't we need to keep some sense of civility ? Unless you like the Road Warrior or The Road scenario. When the power goes out, I'll be staying home....hunting...making firewood....securing my water supply and defending myself from people who think as you do.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
Lets cover something very basic shall we...

THE POWER GOES OUT - What steps should you take right away?

For example lets say the whole city appeared blacked out in your area. So you maybe initially thought it was a regular black out. But how would you really know for sure. What steps should you immediately take say if you're at home?

Light candle.

Read ghost/zombie stories.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Imediately I start running around in circles flinging my hands in the air violent and erratically, then I start screaming at the top of my lungs!!!

"THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! WE ARE DOOOOOOOOOOMED!"

Then after about 10 minutes of that. Take a deep breath, and I check my cell phone if towers are operational, then I check the radio if any stations are local, state and Extended band for National or International are still broadcasting.

If it is local, I humbly slump back to my desk and await for the power to return (assuming it is a work day), if a weekend I might take a nap.

If it is State or Multi-State wide I start my disaster preparedness plan, maybe eat some jerky I have been saving just for this event...
edit on 11-10-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join