It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oscars: 'Fahrenheit 9/11' VS 'Passion' of Christ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Personally I dont think there is even a question, but hollywood is pro-left so I dont know if they could pull it off.

Oct. 25 issue - Millions of people surely believe that Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" and Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" deserve best-picture Oscar nominations. Unfortunately, most of them don't vote for the Academy Awards. Despite shattering box-office records and dominating headlines for months, these two films face real obstacles in the race for Hollywood's top prize. Of the many high-placed studio executives, producers, Oscar strategists, publicists and Academy members interviewed for this story, most think that "Fahrenheit's" chances depend on the results of the presidential election, and all say that a "Passion" best-picture nod is almost unthinkable. Hollywood, with its Jewish roots, did not experience "The Passion" as a transcendent religious and emotional event, as so many other viewers did. Some haven't forgiven Gibson for even making the film, let alone forgotten his father, Hutton, and his inflammatory statements about the history of the Jews. "I'll tell you why 'The Passion' won't be nominated," snaps one industry executive. "Happily, there are too many people in the Academy who believe the Holocaust actually happened."

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 18-10-2004 by edsinger]

[edit on 18-10-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Wait...so neither of them are documentaries? Interesting, very, very interesting...

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Meh I've seen both, and I would think neither is Best-Picture-worthy.

Mind you I can't think of any other films from last year that are likely winners, probably more a function of my bad memory than a reflection on the quality of last years films though.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Neither is worthy of the best picture. While not exactly objective, at least Fahrenheit 9/11 was an entertaining film. The Passion was mediocre at best. IMHO

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by apw100
Neither is worthy of the best picture. While not exactly objective, at least Fahrenheit 9/11 was an entertaining film. The Passion was mediocre at best. IMHO

Well these comments from ATS are not surprising at all.

Michael Moore's movie was crap......

The Passion was great, not just because of the Movie but how the anti-christian movement organized against it and how the general public responded. Which one made more and will sell more?

Case closed.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

Originally posted by apw100

Case closed.

Well, this is not surprising at all from edsinger, but the Cannes Film Festival said otherwise, and gave it a 20 minute standing ovation, which no other movie has ever recieved there.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
They both sucked, and were both comedies.

Put them in the Best Comedy Category (is there even one?), THEN itd be a toughie.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Niether of them deserve the best picture award.. they weren't amazing.

"The Passion of the Christ" had nice scenery but was boring, pointless, and I wouldn't see it again or reccomend it to anybody.

"Fahrenheit 9/11" was entertaining, had truth in it, and I think everybody should see it.

..so if it was between the two movies, I'd rather see Fahrenheit 9/11 win. The theme is actually relevant to what is happening in the world today, unlike the other movie.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Niether of them deserve the best picture award.. they weren't amazing.

"The Passion of the Christ" had nice scenery but was boring, pointless, and I wouldn't see it again or reccomend it to anybody.

"Fahrenheit 9/11" was entertaining, had truth in it, and I think everybody should see it.

..so if it was between the two movies, I'd rather see Fahrenheit 9/11 win. The theme is actually relevant to what is happening in the world today, unlike the other movie.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Any objective movie buff would tell you The Passion was not that great of a movie. The acting from everyone was subpar. None of them could even make you feel their lines unlike other "foreign" films. (See "Amelie" or "Life is Beautiful" or pretty much anything with Roberto Begnini in it) The scenery was adequate. I guess it would be "blasphemy" to attack the script. The music, the pacing, the overall affect does not make for a good feeling. People don't realize that the sad feeling they felt as they left was not because they saw their savior being brutalized for over two hours. No that feeling came from inept movie making. I expected a lot more from Mel after his other directorial adventure...Braveheart.

Don't think you are getting off light, Fahrenheit 9-11. For starters, why does anyone think this is deserving of a Best Picture nod? Aside from it being nothing but propaganda (look up the meaning, it fits) it also is not Mikey's best film. At points the flick was seriously dragging, often times seeming to have no meaning other Bush is bad. In the flick he only makes a handful of assertions and one or two of which can actually be substantiated.

Ultimately, I will #e all over myself if either of these flicks win the Best Picture Oscar. Look at some of the other films that are far more deserving. We have had Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Spiderman 2, or even The Incredibles that are leaps and bounds more credible for the win.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I have not gotten around to seeing either yet, but I would not vote either for best picture at the Oscars.

The Passion, for the most part will be more enjoyed by people of Christian faith and I don't expect a 12 year old or an atheist to love it as much as a 78 year old Nun.

As for F/911, its propoganda. Pure and simple. Plus its a documentary, a documentary has no acting, script or anything just propoganda or information, or informational propoganda. Moore is making a big mistake by not submitting it for Best Documentary, if he went for Best Doc maybe he'd win that.

There are a lot more deserving films that these for Best Pic. If anything The Passion should get best film in a foreign langauge.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
I have not gotten around to seeing either yet, but I would not vote either for best picture at the Oscars.

The Passion, for the most part will be more enjoyed by people of Christian faith and I don't expect a 12 year old or an atheist to love it as much as a 78 year old Nun.

As for F/911, its propoganda. Pure and simple. Plus its a documentary, a documentary has no acting, script or anything just propoganda or information, or informational propoganda. Moore is making a big mistake by not submitting it for Best Documentary, if he went for Best Doc maybe he'd win that.

There are a lot more deserving films that these for Best Pic. If anything The Passion should get best film in a foreign langauge.

Moore didn't submit it for best doc. because he wanted to show it on election eve, which he did, but poor me I only have cable, and there's an odd rule in the Oscars that a documentary cannot be on tv a ceertain number of days before the election. So Moore looked closer at the rules and found that that does not apply to best picture submissions, so he took a chance and went for it.

As for it being propaganda, I would agree with you, and I would call it a biased documentary, I just hope those that watch it are smart enough to look at the other side and decide for themselves where they stand on the issue.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I say who gives a ham. I mean, does anybody even watch the Oscars, or any award show for that matter. All award shows do is take up a whole lot of time and for what? I tell you what so actors[actresses] can promote their new movie and get another million dollars for there drugs. Any way Im Rambling so bye

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TenaciousGuy

Originally posted by JediMaster

Moore didn't submit it for best doc. because he wanted to show it on election eve, which he did, but poor me I only have cable, and there's an odd rule in the Oscars that a documentary cannot be on tv a ceertain number of days before the election. So Moore looked closer at the rules and found that that does not apply to best picture submissions, so he took a chance and went for it.

As for it being propaganda, I would agree with you, and I would call it a biased documentary, I just hope those that watch it are smart enough to look at the other side and decide for themselves where they stand on the issue.

He's taking a risk with it though, I just don't see how a documentary can be even called the best movie of the year, its not even a movie.

And the sad thing is, there are people I know who saw F-911 and believe every word of it and won't look at the other side.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
For all the people that say that Micheal Moore's 9/11 documentary is flawed or just untrue, they sure fail to offer up another side to the story, but that's blind Bush faith for you.

I saw "The Passion," just recently, and honestly. Other than being a movie where some guy gets beat up for 2 hours straight, it's an incredibly boring film. Atleast he died at the end...

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

The Passion was great, not just because of the Movie but how the anti-christian movement organized against it and how the general public responded.

so if I thought F-9/11 was an interesting movie and felt The Passion was a mediocre movie filled with gratuitous and exaggerated violence, I would be a ....what?

You are drawing lines between religion and politics. We are either Christians and patriots or we are devil worshipping traitors? Maybe not this extreme, but from what I am hearing, its pretty damn close.

hmmm

BG

top topics

join