Cook County, IL Plans to Reduce Violence by Raising Gun Prices

page: 2
7
<< 1   >>

log in

join

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
reply to post by Sissel
 


Serious? The "gun price" to the purchaser is the final price he pays....that's tag, title and tax. The "gun price" is going up by the tax amount. And the bullets are going up as well....by the tax amount. Cigarettes and gas went up by the tax amounts as well.


Yes I realize that taxes raise the cost in total, but to state the gun prices are going up is incorrect. Did you read the link from the Chicago Tribune? With the average cost of what it takes to pay for the victims of gunshots who don't have insurance, something needs to be done because the county is paying for that. Why is it fair for people who don't own guns to have to pay for it?

Just like the taxes going up on a pack of cigarettes, the point is mute unless you are a smoker!




posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This could open up more hassles to them for raising the tax on firearms. Another round of Supreme Court anyone? This tax interferes with a constitutional right, so it will be difficult to defend in court. As if firearms used in crimes are legally purchased by the wielder!



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel
 


You speak as if these guns used in crimes are legally acquired
The legal gun owners are not the problem, it's the criminals! Thats like saying increasing the gas taxes will help the victims of auto accidents. That tax revenue is intended for something else all together.



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
reply to post by Sissel
 


You speak as if these guns used in crimes are legally acquired
The legal gun owners are not the problem, it's the criminals! Thats like saying increasing the gas taxes will help the victims of auto accidents. That tax revenue is intended for something else all together.


No, that is not what I meant to imply. I am of the belief though, that guns like cigarettes are hazardous to health. Some legal gun owners are irresponsible with them. They leave them where they can be stolen, and then used in crimes, or loaded in the house for children to play with.



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel
 


So where does that end?

Tax cleaning chemicals because somebody might drink them.
Tax pools and buckets because somebody might drown.
Tax lawns where mushrooms could grow because some dullard may pick one and die.
Tax all sporting equipment because kids get hurt playing football, baseball, frisbee, hacky-sack. etc....
Tax peanuts because somebody will have an allergic reaction.

Where does the line begin and end? A real quantifiable beginning and ending. Not a hyper-emotional "guns are scary" beginning and end.



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Sissel
 


So where does that end?

Tax cleaning chemicals because somebody might drink them.
Tax pools and buckets because somebody might drown.
Tax lawns where mushrooms could grow because some dullard may pick one and die.
Tax all sporting equipment because kids get hurt playing football, baseball, frisbee, hacky-sack. etc....
Tax peanuts because somebody will have an allergic reaction.

Where does the line begin and end? A real quantifiable beginning and ending. Not a hyper-emotional "guns are scary" beginning and end.


All those things are already taxed when you buy them also, and while it's possible that some of them are, the likeleyhood of them being used to commit crimes is extremely low compared to guns.



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Like anybody homicidal is going to care if a box of bullets costs a few dollars more.



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel
 


What I am saying is this tax increase is a placebo for the ignorant. "Look we are doing something to stop gun crime!!" When in reality all this does is punish those who are doing things the legal way. Do we step up laws on automobiles when someone dies in a car wreck? No. We need less knee jerk laws and more actual enforcement of the real laws. Ever wonder why so many violent felons get back on the street? LAWYERS, using plea deals and such to circumvent what the laws are in place to do. So what if laws are in place with harsher sentences? They get argued down in court anyway so they end up mattering zilch. Any guesses where lawyers go when they get tired of court? Here is a hint, they help craft new laws.



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Is there anyone with enough brains to realize that the more expensive legal guns and ammo get the more expensive they will get for the black market too? And possibly if less people buy them the supply will shrink making it less easy for criminals to acquire them as well?

Republicans are always claiming only they understand economics, but then they completely ignore it when it comes to their gun (and military) religion.



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
Is there anyone with enough brains to realize that the more expensive legal guns and ammo get the more expensive they will get for the black market too? And possibly if less people buy them the supply will shrink making it less easy for criminals to acquire them as well?

Republicans are always claiming only they understand economics, but then they completely ignore it when it comes to their gun (and military) religion.


Does that mean all illegal guns are purchased in stores first ?

I thought most were stolen or bought in bulk from other "dealers".

Your theory sounds like Donkey Economics 101.



posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
reply to post by Sissel
 


What I am saying is this tax increase is a placebo for the ignorant. "Look we are doing something to stop gun crime!!"


I didn't get that impression for this at all. I see it as a way to recoup the expenses of the county who have to cover the cost of the victims, and also for extra coppers, etc.....


When in reality all this does is punish those who are doing things the legal way. Do we step up laws on automobiles when someone dies in a car wreck? No. We need less knee jerk laws and more actual enforcement of the real laws. Ever wonder why so many violent felons get back on the street? LAWYERS, using plea deals and such to circumvent what the laws are in place to do. So what if laws are in place with harsher sentences? They get argued down in court anyway so they end up mattering zilch. Any guesses where lawyers go when they get tired of court? Here is a hint, they help craft new laws.



Once again this is being done to help defray costs. If it helps to control gun violence then all the better.





new topics
top topics
 
7
<< 1   >>

log in

join