It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cook County, IL Plans to Reduce Violence by Raising Gun Prices

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Cook County Illinois is Chicago and the surrounding suburbs.

With homicides up 25% this year in the city, now the County has all the answers !!

Officials in Cook Country Illinois have found the answer to gun violence. It's not stepping up enforcement of existing laws on the books or reducing regulations to make it easier for law-abiding citizens to defend themselves from criminals.

No, the answer is to tax legal firearm and ammunition purchases. Therefore, with homicides up 25% in Chicago this year, Cook County Officials want to impose a "violence tax" on all gun and ammo purchases.....

Cook County, IL Plans to Reduce Violence by Raising Gun Prices

But wait.

The criminal elements usually don't go the "Legal" route with guns and ammo.

Like always, they will circumvent the taxes and fees and added "retail" safeguards.

This sounds more like a revenue generator to me.

related story with video:
Chicago Plans Second Amendment Tax

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Yeah I was gonna say, those who commit violent gun crimes probably didn't go to Walmart to get their guns but rather they got them from the Black Market.

Politicians are flippin morons, or rather, they think we are the morons (which is probably true for the lot of us, sadly).
edit on 10-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
those idiots dont realize that by raising the price the criminal syndicates will just organize a raid,

then they will have a portion of that market and just liquidate their inventory to the first bidder

= twice as many guns in the wrong hands

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well I am sure organized crime in Chicago owes Rahmbo a big thank you. Not only do they make more on the legitimate businesses but hell, the black market just got a whole new shot in the arm for profit margins and benefit to importing from other states. Way to go Rahm! That's doing something about crime!

Of course...HELPING it isn't supposed to be the direction he goes...but hey, I guess it's ..umm..something? err.. Yeah.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
hahaha

only a fool would believe that lowering violence is the motive for this tax
they just want more money
they dont give two craps about poor people shooting each other

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Your title should read "Corrupt politicians plan to make more money by raising gun prices." Im am a cook county resident all though I live in a pretty affluent suburb if you go a couple miles in any direction its a pretty rough place your gonna find your self. But as I stated above this just seems like a way of getting more income. Will it help? probably not. Will they care? Definitely not.
edit on 10-10-2012 by BriGuyTM90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Criminals steal guns and ammo...

Answer?

Raise taxes on law Abiding Gun owners to pay more to defend themselves against the criminals.

Yup smells like bovine excretion I mean, something Government would come up with.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Thanks for this one. What amazing spin! A "violence tax", pure gold. And from Chicago too. You couldn't make this up if you tried.

I'm sure as soon as all the street thugs and gang bangers find out about this from their accountants, s*** is going to quiet down lickety split.

How about Theft Tax? If you buy something someone would want to steal, you are obviously aiding and abetting so fork it over Goober! Maybe Crack Tax, Hooker Tax, and Mattress Tag Removing Tax. Chi-Town is on a ROLL!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
This is the governments solution to everything.
Raise prices, raise taxes, raise revenues.
Because that solves all problems.

Only they are trying to solve a problem that the city and local governments created.

Funny how every post in this thread so far has the right notion.
Yet, the people who get paid by the taxpayers to make decisions for them don't seem to get the idea.

Stupid idea from a moronic control mechanism.
Agenda 21?
Perhaps...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

These morons just dont get it...

Gun control only affects those who legally abide by the law.

criminals are called criminals for a reason... They dony abide by the law. They will just steal the guns from businesses or law abiding citizens, like they do now.

We need to place a tax on our members of government.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
You guys just don't get it.
They don't intend to reduce gun crime.
That is not the intention at all.
The intention is to to punish gun owners.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Illinois - also the only state in the US that denies right to conceal carry.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
If they implimented a "stupid tax" they would pay off the national debt in no time starting with all lawmakers.

As if that is going to work.

In fact they just created more victims.

Way to go!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I deliver to the stockyards industrial park in chicago fairly often. Such a ghetto place they still have signs up saying "city of chicago mayor richard daley". You can hear the gunshots every weekend at night where i load. Stray bullets have hit the plant. No one gives a # either. They dont even talk about it. They act like its not happrning.

And a tax? lol. They already banned pistols. Those are pistols being fired. And you have to have a license to buy ammo in illinois anyway.

I dont go to chicago unarmed. But its mostly stray bullets that would be a problem for me....you cant shoot back at stray bullets

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
hmmmm, for some reason i'm thinking 'gunsmithing' is going to experience a serious resurgence in this politically confused environment.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Great op/ed article on this.

cdn2.cheaperthandirt.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Funny how even the hoplophobic gun grabbers cant follow through.

The tax is obviously about revenue and not crime. Whens the last time some two-bit thug selling stolen property from a van around the corner declared tax revenues?

If these politicians really wanted to make a point (albeit a pointless point) they'd come out swinging with a 500% tax rate.

But for all the dancing in blood that they do revenue remains the number one priority.

Same phenomenon seen with hundred dollar permits requiring attendance to a $200 class and fees to departments just to practice not only a Constitutional right but a basic human right of having and holding your own property.

Some reporter should ask the altruistic and venerable politicians of the area why, if lives are meant to be saved, does this measure ignore a chance to severely restrict weapon purchases in favor of simple revenue generation?

That wont happen because all the media loons are too busy lusting over their glorious leaders.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

This is news from a couple of days ago. I have issue with how your thread is titled. The gun prices are not going up, but taxes on them are. Taxes will also go up on bullets.

Here is an article from the Chicago Tribune about this:

articl... es.chicagotribune.com/2012-10-18/news/sns-rt-us-usa-guns-bullet-taxbre89h1mf-20121018_1_taxes-cook-county-gun-injuries

The top executive of the county that includes Chicago took aim at gun owners on Thursday, proposing a tax on bullets and firearms to help defray healthcare expenses associated with the high rate of gun violence. If approved by the Cook county commission, the nation's third most populous county could be the first major metropolitan area in the nation to impose a tax as a form of gun control, according to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

Whether or not this will work to curb crime....Hmmmm, Indiana and Wisconsin are very close by, so this will just prompt people to get their supplies in other states.

Here are statistics about the costs of taking care of gun shot victims to the state. Notice it says 70% of those who are victims do not have insurance.

"Acute trauma care for a shooting victim costs $52,000 on average and 70 percent of shooting victims have no insurance," she said, adding that 670 such victims were treated last year by the county's health system "at an enormous cost." When a victim has no insurance the county picks up the tab.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Serious? The "gun price" to the purchaser is the final price he pays....that's tag, title and tax. The "gun price" is going up by the tax amount. And the bullets are going up as well....by the tax amount. Cigarettes and gas went up by the tax amounts as well.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Good. I hope they eventually raise taxes 5,000%.

Then, when gun crime INCREASES because law-abiding folks can't afford legal weapons anymore, we can finally end this pathetic attempt to eliminate firearms.

Pray for the good and law-abiding people in Cook county.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join