It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I went to my first group therapy session at the VA today.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

If there is such a list, then I am surely on it. And I have never once been forced to take any medication that I did not specifically discuss, ask questions about, and then, once I knew the options, request - if any option suited me.

All my medication has been voluntary - as has been any other issue mentioned here. I've owned pistols, rifles, and currently own a shotgun. Nobody has every suggested (other than a few blogs and maybe a few ATS posts) that my right to bear arms be infringed upon.

There is so much misinformation out there about mental illness. Why? Because the media covers the one in a million who snap. Not the vast majority who function, get through life, and never cause others harm.. well, other than the emotional harm that knowing a diagnosed person comes with.

To the OP:

PTSD is something I would recommend you discuss openly with your friends and family as well. Even if that is hard. All cases are individual and different, to be sure... but in my case I lost two wives, five girlfriends, and countless friends before I came to understand why.

PTSD screws up your chemical reactions to stimuli and situation. An example from my personal life. I was in a bar, accidentally bumped into a guy, half drunk, and this escalated rapidly. Before I knew it, I had a pistol pointing right at my face, from about 2 or 3 inches away. My reaction? I laughed. Not only did I laugh but I got aggressive. The woman I was with, then, was furious at me... and I couldn't understand why.

But let me see a movie where the plot line plays upon the distant/estranged son/father story line and my eyes will tear up and I'll be worthless for hours or even days later... angry, self focused, and distant.

The woman who saw these two very bizarre behavior reactions did what any sane person would do. She packed her bags and said "Love ya, but see ya". There was more, but those are two examples to point out the PTSD keeping me from having the "right" neurochemical reaction to a situation.

I've learned, now, to just warn people, up front, about this "quirk" and to explain it to the best of my ability. Now the friends I get - they tend to stay because I've diffused the confusion and difficulty beforehand.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Great post. Thank you for your choice in service to our country. My father is a V-Vet. He goes to these, too. He's in South Carolina. This is a great forum for you to get things off your chest, no matter what they be. Keep going and get your head right, son.
Don't take the pharmaceuticals if you can help it.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

There are 17 stressors that are considered by the government when allowing the Term PTSD when applied at least 11 must be proven or at least assumed to be correct. The situation is bad because many of the members of the military who are affected do not realize there is a problem for many years .Usually a traumatic even a movie can trigger the start of a really bad life from then on out .Many times the PTSD victim does not realize they are always attempting to separate themselves from the rest of society even family and friends. Often alcohol,drugs, and fighting are involved as well as constant changes of occupations or a solitary position which requires little supervision. Many adjust to this thinking there is nothing wrong or that they just have poor people skills.However When and if a current event triggers the trauma the results could be life threatening for the PTSD victim as well as their families and strangers. No matter how tough a military war survivor is Human nature suggest that we all feel guilt or remorse for our actions no matter how many lives their actions may have saved.. Group Therapy has a much better rate of recovery over the long term and . .Pills as reported by A.P.A.president in 2003 are effective in less than 20% of PTSD cases .YET there are at least 35% of military PTSD who have chronic long term problems that never go away.The sooner the problem is addressed the more likely recovery.Military Social groups American legion/Veterans of Foreign War/ Disabled American Vets/Marine Corps League/and a number of other social Military memberships give the Victim and his peers a chance to understand problem and seek solutions .Often times the V.A. Will deny a claim for no good reason or because they are under staffed . In some cases the V.A. Hires foreign Dr.s who have no clue as to the problems faced by the military even though they had to pass State Licensing board Exams. Due to culture differences and the belief that many mental issues are nothing but a sham or farce.Much like the reluctance for them to administer Pain killers because they were trained not to use them(because they were not available in Quantities or were cost prohibitive) in their Country of origin.Our military U.S.ARMY has started giving PTSD pills ? as soon as soldiers return from combat in an Experiment which has a poor rating from the troops and many Doctors.
We as Military are trained not to admit to a weakness especially one which shows you to have remorse for killing the another Human/enemy combatant .The face to face contact with another or a group of individuals who share the same condition brings to the forefront that which bothers the PTSD patient because Patient sees that others suffer the same types of problems and that remorse is a natural part of the recovery process.
Rather than being all big, bad and unaffected by it all then years later, doing something which could ruin your life, family or freedom ,THE sudden onset might cause suicide ,more alienation or even extreme violence .
To be made Aware and to accept that you are among many who have suffered the same trauma is the FIRST step to Recovery.
I know about it all, nightly intrusive dreams, no more than 3 hrs sleep at a time for 45 years plus 6 ex-wives ,17 assaults , 2 attempted murder charges and one attempted manslaughter ( no convictions) over active response to situation , heightened alertness , over protective,always having to be the smartest and most feared .
More self inflicted cuts on myself than a butchered cow, high speed vehicles and dangerous stunts which could have killed me including Bond retrieval ,repossessions of everything from cars to T.V.taking undercover assignments that were high risk .All while never trusting anyone, especially the government (the PEOPLE I worked For) always having separate source of income usually ownership of a small company ,that others ran for me, which no one out side that business knew I owned .Finally an exit plan in the event I needed to hide or disappear ..This self evolving situation became so bad that I was at my wits end when A U.S.Senator and 2 ex-wives conned me into going to A V.A. Facility and checking myself in to a mental ward with Me assuming I was doing it to help other Veterans. 60 days later I had a chance to be a real person and have valued every moment . with regrets that I missed 45 years of living a real life.
IF you KNOW any VETERAN WHO acts in Any WAY Like I have Described PLEASE GET THEM help Before it is too LATE
SEMPER FI ( always Faithful) Veteran MARINE

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I am currently waiting for a determination on benefits from a host of Agent Orange disabilities I have encountered. My cousin also is doing the VA thing as we speak, having already been determined to have 'Presumptive'. He has diabetes and prostrate cancer. We were both in the same area while in Vietnam, a huge airport area known as Long Bin/Ben Hoa. He recently filed for PTSD upon my suggestion, having done quite a lot of research on the phenomenon. I'll tell you one thing, and that is they will try to medicate you as a first step, and if you didn't have mental problems before, you will after they are done. My cousin has declined dramatically as I have kept in touch with him on a near daily basis. I moved across the US to the East Coast, where he is still on the West Coast, and our communication consists of near daily phone calls to each other. This, going on since 2005. I have seen the decline since the medication and sessions started, gradually at first and then surprisingly more rapid in recent weeks and the last couple months. He's getting scrambled....... there's no doubt, and it's due to the VA medications.

Your Journey with the VA will be a Costly one as far as Your health is concerned. If you file or submit a claim for PTSD, you can be sure in all likelyhood that you will be recomended a medication of anxiety or some such symptom weather you have or not. If your not crazy now, you soon will be. You will effectively be neutralized from society, and be made a full time patient. Be Cautious........ just be cautious.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
"QUOTE"

I know about it all, nightly intrusive dreams, no more than 3 hrs sleep at a time for 45 years plus 6 ex-wives ,17 assaults , 2 attempted murder charges and one attempted manslaughter ( no convictions) over active response to situation , heightened alertness , over protective,always having to be the smartest and most feared .
More self inflicted cuts on myself than a butchered cow, high speed vehicles and dangerous stunts which could have killed me including Bond retrieval ,repossessions of everything from cars to T.V.taking undercover assignments that were high risk .All while never trusting anyone, especially the government (the PEOPLE I worked For) always having separate source of income usually ownership of a small company ,that others ran for me, which no one out side that business knew I owned .Finally an exit plan in the event I needed to hide or disappear ..This self evolving situation became so bad that I was at my wits end when A U.S.Senator and 2 ex-wives conned me into going to A V.A. Facility and checking myself in to a mental ward with Me assuming I was doing it to help other Veterans. 60 days later I had a chance to be a real person and have valued every moment . with regrets that I missed 45 years of living a real life.
IF you KNOW any VETERAN WHO acts in Any WAY Like I have Described PLEASE GET THEM help Before it is too LATE
SEMPER FI ( always Faithful) Veteran MARINE "End Quote"

THERE IT IS............. exactly, and these things are real. Only when you are educated about them will you understand PTSD is REAL...........

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluemoonsine

I watched a few men go to the VA and receive What I like to call "Battery Acid " (LITHIUM)When the treatment is done these guys slobber and drool they can not many times feed themselves for several days . The treatment in my humble opinion is nothing more than torture . I have had the (Good fortune to have been A VA treatment facility)
and it was only with the help of my Attorney that I did not have to take any drugs. . They wanted to treat me with "Neurontin" A pain and withdrawal medication ?? I had no pain nor was I withdrawing from anything I did not have shingles or herpes,Then The Dr told me it was a seizure medication.
A small number of people who take anticonvulsants for any condition (such as seizures, bipolar disorder, pain) may experience depression, suicidal thoughts/attempts, or other mental/mood problems. those are side effects note : the reference to Suicidal thoughts or attempts and depression the things I had been committed for !!!!! This is what the Government is doing you are their own personal lab rats.I had one Dr give me a sleeping drug against my wishes the Nurse told me the next day and his career as an alien INDIAN Dr working on a pass at my expense is being reviewed (for the last 4 years)!!!!! apparently the Nurse has not got what the Dr. had More money she almost lost her job for being honest HE was moved from the Emergency room. and I have even less faith in any Dr. other than a SHAMAN ,The President of THE American.Psychiatric Association stated that Drugs have not had any significant effect in treating mental illness and the % who seem to have improved were not necessarily mentally ill I will have to research the year which slips my mind now
HOWEVER in 2003 one study said" a standard design for research studies evaluating alternative treatment strategies, in which subjects are assigned by chance (for example, by flip of a coin) to alternative treatments"
lets just play with the patients lives !!!!!! ONE in 6 military personnel are on some form of Psychiatric medication.
(The drugs come with serious side effects: They can impair motor skills, reduce reaction times and generally make a war fighter less effective. Some double the risk for suicide, prompting doctors — and Congress — to question whether these drugs are connected to the rising rate of military suicides.) from
allas Contact Crisis Line forum to raise awareness of military suicides

“It’s really a large-scale experiment. We are experimenting with changing people’s cognition and behavior,” said Dr. Grace Jackson, a former Navy psychiatrist.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

As a Vietnam vet (in country 1966-1967) I understand completely. I am glad the sessions are helpful to you. As for me, when I go the the VA I keep my mouth shut and never talk about the government, politics, war or anything else that may get me tagged more than I already am.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

This is a little off topic

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a watch list. I will tell you something I found out when I went to buy another handgun.

I always go to the same gun shop so I know them pretty well. I have bought many handguns, assault rifles there with no problem. I fill out the paper work they call it in and withing 5min I am aprroved and I walk out with my new toy.

Well the past few times I went to get something when they call in my application I get a 48-72 hour waiting period instead of waiting I would have my wife(at the time) to do it and she was approved immediatly. So I finally asked why am I getting the waiting period now( I never been in trouble) well the manager told me if I have a security clearance, which I do then most of the time you will get a wait period. I found that very odd since to get a security clearance they dig pretty deep into your backround so I would think having a clearance would help trying to own a gun.

So I called the number the manager gave me that's on the application to find out why I have a wait. After being on hold for about 30min I finally ask them. To my surprise it was because I had a security clearance, they said its not anything against me. They said its a wait because when they look up my info it shows I was investigated( for when I was getting my clearance) and it doesn't say why I was investigated so their is a wait until they can clarify the reason for the investigation.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing brother, Talking to someone really helps. I did some therapy sessions after Afghan, and It blew my mind away how much she helped me.

~Semper Fi!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

go to the linkedIN site and go through groups there are several that have to do with military and VA programs with resources to get good help from other sources.:
1. MILITARY MENTAL HEALTH DISORDERS POST DEPLOYMENT FOR PROVIDERS, COMBAT VETERANS & THEIR FAMILIES
2. US Military Veterans Network
3. whatever branch he was in also has groups and a lot of information and help
It cost nothing to be a member of the LinkedIN network many many connections with a lot of help. It may take 2 or 3 days to be approved for group but it is nothing but them having to add your name to the group. I personally have over 500 direct contacts and each brings something to the table for the Veteran or person needing help or even work .

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Your situation sounds like mine and many more of us .There is a disconnect that happens in order for us to survive. The ability to continue , is for many not familiar with the associated military combat problems and that sub conscious re alignment of the mind in any recruit training , We as a whole were given a mixture of we are gods and we are invincible , then thrown to the wolves.
We were told that flash backs, inability to form relationships and the urge to either fight or put ourselves in dangerous situations were a normal part of the military life style and it would make us strong .

I fear for the most recent returnees and their families, as the y are not given enough information to determine whether there are problems until it is too late . Families and lives are permanently destroyed or changed to the point they can never be put back. In-some cases The PTSD victim actually goes to prison ruining any future chance of recovery and a life .
Our military and many civilians refuse to admit that War, conflict and killing have a permanent lasting effect on those involved whether that person is A Military person,Policeman ,Fireman or victim of an assault.The more quickly the diagnosis and treatment start the better the chance for recovery. Which in many instances still takes years ..
AN example is A General named "Chesty" Puller ,USMC 5 navy crosses and a military Career which started off as a private.... HE is an example of "living for the fight" and literately walking into gunfire as if he were a God with no fear . He sought out conflict and charged full steam ahead .NOT to be a hero but because his mind was overloaded and PTSD a phrase which had not been thought of was where his mind and soul were . They called it battle fatigue which was considered a weakness......To overcome that HE was always in the forefront of every battle and conflict.
THOUGH he is one of my hero's he was in fact a walking time bomb who took many with him 'into the jaws of death and mouth of hell"

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

If it does you good, keep it up my ATS brother from an other mother.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by milousmc

You are quite 'open' my friend. I am working on developing a natural place/environment for 'healing' a variety of forms of illnesses on my farm in central america. I am aware of many methods to heal one 'naturally' and know they work for there are many success stories. One could visit for a few weeks and walk away a new man/woman while appearing much younger. Not only organics and springwater but ancient technoIogies/methods of healing are to be used as well. I plan to allow one to pay as they feel is sufficient for it isn't about the dole-ar but about healing and caring for one's neighbors. The medical system in the US has become outrageously and prohibitively expense compared to most nations of the world. Mainland China is a good case as seen HERE. Most doctor visits; One-to-five-dolla. All procedures much less expensive though Hong Kong is more pricy as the rent ensures that.

Love and understanding can prevent most sickness as a preventative measure to becoming prone to sickness. I'm at my best with a Good woman by my side as good communication, good lovin and 'touch' can do wUndas for one's condition. I often give and receive a massage every night when with my significant other. It works and if done the right way, one can release stress, induce healing hormones and loosen/relax the muscles while releasing the acid that forms up in the muscles that cause many issues as the body is meant to be alkaline; stress and bad diet creates an acidic, entropizing environment and an early grave. A teaspoon of baking soda mixed with a glass of water is a cheap though affective way to return the body to a more alkaline balance.

I really enjoy healing people and watching them 'glow' so to say as one's ambient electromagnetic field is what is most important. It's not only as a electromagnetic field but as a Shield to getting sick as well as the most important component to maintaining a strong Immune System. A strong immune system will not only keep one from getting sick but aid in removing any foreign substances/viruses/bacteriums etc. naturally. A regimen of pharmaceutaKills will put Down the immune system and make one prone to 'any' sickness they come in contact with. One should view themselves as an being of energy rather than focusing on the physical shell they find themselves in. These are long topics though have spoken on these topics in many prior posts here on ats. I'll save your comments and contact you in the future if you'd like to stop by for a visit.

Unfortunately, there are rogue agents in govt. that do not have the better interest of the returning veteran. Many in the Federal govt. fear a Revolution and would rather decapacitate, poison and put down any possible resistance to the NWO plan. Returning vets, are seen/viewed as the most dangerous threat to the takedown of the Republic, the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Freedom and everything else that so many soldiers 'died' defending past and present. Now they want to 'take it away'? This alone could create symptoms of PTSD though labels do not apply but as a form of convenience/excuse to medicate/incapacitate/subjegate/weaken any resistance to the zionist, neo-con, globalist NWO plan. Long topics though I'm sure you have an idea where I'm coming being an ats member and all. NaturalNews.com with Mike Adams is a very good place to start for healing one can believe in.

edit on 12-10-2012 by Bluemoonsine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Curious. Did anyone express the view that the 9/11 event was something other than what was portrayed by the Government, the MSM (mainstream media) and the Zelikow led 9/11 Commission Report..?

edit on 12-10-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by milousmc

That was very well written and very true. I cant believe how right on target you are. Somehow you wrote my thoughts and how I feel, Im not able to put my thoughts on paper like that and it really frustrates me. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Curious. Did anyone express the view that the 9/11 event was something other than what was portrayed by the Government, the MSM (mainstream media) and the Zelikow led 9/11 Commission Report..?

edit on 12-10-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

That did not get brought up but I have a feeling it will very soon. I am curious of the reactions of the doctors if and when it does come up.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetooth
when i was in vietnam i shot and killed 4 people. would have got more but the holiday rep told me to go easy.

You know how much of a MORON you sound like troll?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
i wholeheartedly agree that finding realtime, like-minded people is an absolute must for everyone. the internet is no substitution for human interaction. other than that i have no real contribution to your post except for Thanks for being there for our country, all your sacrifices don't go unnoticed event hough it often appears they do.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Great thread. Sir, I thank you for your time, your effort & your broken heart.

I was diagnosed two years ago. Paramedic for 20 yrs. Apparently, I ran one more call than I should have.

I've been in one-on-one for two years. There are no groups for the public that either my shrink or several social workers in the area know of. Unless I'm a vet. I went to the multiple locations you goons (kidding) hang out in. Low & Behold, I can't be added.

I promise, I won't bite. I promise to lose my $hit. I haven't hurt anyone, and "neither plan to hurt myself or other people today".

On the more serious side:

PLEASE stand up for yourselves as PEOPLE not your SS#. Someone should tell you this: most of your docs are terribly overworked and remarkably underpaid (compared to private hospitals). If the drugs you are using don't work, walk into the docs place and yell "free coffee!!" the docs will come crawling like zombies, sad little things, they are usually paying back loans with that job.

Gabapentin-used to decrease the speed of chemical thru the neurons. Slows my 900mile an hour thots that are there and gone before I either finished the thot or retained the item---uh---what was I saying?

Lamictal-used to further slow thots. Increasing the Gabapentin made me mean and groggy. So we took that dose back, and went thru a slow process of increasing doses on this drug (it was easy, just slow).

Cymbalta works for us PTSDers. No one knows why. It's an antidepressant. Works well.

Ativan-for panic attacks & sleep-without it I still sleep 4-6 hrs a night. Problem is at about 8hrs of sleep the IMAX starts playing in my dreams. I'll wake up, standing up and head for the coffee pot.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Don't even bother. Reaction was the reason for this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join