It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I went to my first group therapy session at the VA today.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by iWontGiveUP

Keep going. The best way to work through issues from over there is to talk with people who ahve been over there.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Although I did not serve several of my friends did serve in OEF. Two of them are going to group therapy at the VA. One has gone for about a year and the other just started a few months ago. I can tell you I, along with all of his friends and family see a major difference in him. It's a slow road but every now and then we see glimmers of our friend acting like his old self from before he served. And more of his personality is surfacing each month. It truly brings a secret smile to me when I see a old happier part of him break through.

Stick with it. I've seen it help a good friend immensely
edit on 11-10-2012 by BASSPLYR because: Stupid autocorrect

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
As the title states I went for my first sssion today focusing on cognitive therapy in a group environment at the PTSD clinic at my local VA. I must say I was surprised as hell after the hour and a half session was over. There were six of us who showed up. One woman who was retired Army, four older gentelmen from the Vietnam era, and myself an OIF veteran. I swear I could have been sitting in that room with five other ATS members and a psychologist and a student. I could not believe how much in common our views were.

We were discussing how our lives have changed from prior to our experiences and how they have changed since. Every single person stated that the status of our country and the needless wars are their biggest stressors and make the PTSD that much worse. The corrupt government and even issues with the VA were disgussed without a negative response form the two staff members. They are completly open to discussing these matters and they understand that we are looked at as crazy for the things we believe. But the truth is crazy and when you put a group of angry veterans together the truth will come out.

The man I sat next to and I bonded right away and I really do wonder if he may be a member here. Anyways it was just nice to spend some time with others who are alike and not just by communicating on a web forum. It gave me a glimmer of hope. I just thought I would share my storie. I am going to write a report about how this group goes and possibly submit it to the VA when it is complete. I will post it here but it will not b complete for at least twelve weeks.
Relieved as hell to read your post. Am a veteran avoiding VA although I need some medical help from them, LOL. Was afraid of the bad reputation.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
when i was in vietnam i shot and killed 4 people. would have got more but the holiday rep told me to go easy.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm glad I read this thread. I figured it was going to be some anti VA thing which would only tick me off to how soldiers are usually treated. Glad to hear you're actually getting some help

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Continue to go to your meetings. Kudos to you for seeking help. I have suffered from PTSD. When things get really uncomfortable and you find every excuse NOT to go, you'll be closer to feeling better. So keep at it. Don't be surprised if you feel worse BEFORE you feel better. Godspeed

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Good luck my friend.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Whatever you do. Avoid the anti depressants if the counselor mentions them.
edit on 11-10-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
Whatever you do. Avoid the anti depressants if the counselor mentions them.
edit on 11-10-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

The VA knows I won't take those things. We've been down that road before. They are under the impression that I am taking anti anxiety meds everyday as per their orders but I only take them if I feel I need them because they can be habit forming.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Every single person stated that the status of our country and the needless wars are their biggest stressors and make the PTSD that much worse.

Vietnam vets also know about no win, un-ending war. They have great experience with the down the road cumulative effects and how to deal with it. You notice they still go to meetings. As bad as the stigma about the VA can be, It's my impression that connecting up with others that go there is the best medicine. Sharing your pain is the hardest thing about it. Until you do that. That could be just as safe an environment as there could be for that.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Never been labled PTSD,,,,,cause I'm not.....though a few have offered the suggestion (due to combat exp.) which is common sop with any visit to VA whether for a physical checkup, injury or other. Be very careful if they offer a pharmaceutical regimen of mental destruction. This will do more harm than good. I always refused the pills, shots, whether in combat, peacetime, or as civilian. I've read far too much about the side-effects of which are far worse than the condition they claim to treat. Many of the drugs are untested or tested by the manfacturers themselves with skewed and tainted data/research.

It may be a good idea that when you are to speak of one topic or another to write down the links for your references/information so the staff may be educated/informed as well not only for your session though for future ones as well. They may be able to influence future protocals, make recommendations to change/investigate certain aspects which are clearly wrong within the system (huge topics).

Write down the names of the drugs they offer you so we may research them.
Careful, as there is documentation as seen HERE that there is an ulterior motive behind encouraging troops active, IRR or inactive/civilian to become PTSD so the Feds can deprive you of your second ammendment rights. Would you bring a copy of this article, linked above to your next meeting for personal feedback and maybe allow us to hear their response? This should be interesting. Perhaps you could get a doctor to 'write' you an exception to that rule; perhaps not. If not, those are Good questions.

edit on 11-10-2012 by Bluemoonsine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I recently had a run in with a VA surgeon which is guilty of medical malpractice for intentionally giving me a false diagnosis to an injury so he could avoid having to do surgery. He was anxious to offer me 'pharmaceutiKills' for the 'pain' of which I had informed him, there was none. He got angry, felt threatened? when I questioned his diagnosis and where he received his MD. "That's NONE of your business!!!!!" he replied with the look of Norman
Apparently the staff I spoke with was aware of his 'condition'. (((He))) could be PTSD; imagine that. I recommended he receive counselling for his aggression, lack of composure and conduct unbecoming of a Doctor. Some referred to him as psychotic. I would agree. So, how could he be a practicing surgeon? Would 'you' want someone like that operating on you while you are unconscious on meds? He could have been a stand-in. The eyes! were a perfect match. He should have an agent.

I received a copy of his notes for the visit from the medical records division. I also filed a complaint with the Patient's Advocate's office. I reported him to his superior as well. He avoided me in the hallway during the next visit for some reason? Little scoundrel. The second VA doctor confirmed this mis-diagnosis to be the case as the facts can not refuted; they stand on their own. No need to bore you with the details 'here'. He is supposed to be reprimanded though still haven't heard any feedback of which I had requested. I suppose I'll have to follow up a 3rd time for the 'charm".

There are some Good doctors and staff at the VA, though the bad ones should be reprimanded, corrected asap before they are encouraged to develop 'bad habits' reinforced with unaccountability.
edit on 12-10-2012 by Bluemoonsine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluemoonsine

I will deffinitely take that article and discuss it. I brought up the Brandon Raub case and all of the vets had heard of it and did not like it.. I am going to be monitoring the VA as much as they do me.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
USMC 03-walk-a-lot
I was in from 80 to 88 glad to hear you are getting help, and thank you for your service!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I was very dissapointed to find out, through an interview with the Anesthesiologist that there are NO natural medicine or holistic medicine available at the VA. I questioned the medical chief of the hospital and was informed that it was standard procedure to use only pharmaceuticals. Always wanted to be a Doctor, (began pre-med) and many have encouraged me to go into the field though I was disillusioned to find out one cannot get an MD without subscribing to the pharmaceutaKill agenda. For this reason, most MD's today are in violation of the 'real' Hypocratic Oath. There is a natural cure for 'all' conditions; less surgery.
On the Right hand an educated Shaman/bushdoctor and much less expensive healthwise/dole-arwise.

As a general anesthesia I was offered the choice of Midozolam or Versed for Sedation or an Opiate (Morphine).
I would choose the Morphine as it's supposedly natural morphine.

For generalized/localized pain I was offered a choice of Fentanyl, Lidocaine, Propofol, succynilcholine (stops breathing need breathing tube!!!). The alternative for these would be an spinal epidural such as Marcaine, Bupivacaine (heart risk) or Ropivacane. Might consider Ropivacane as it has the least side effects and kills pain during operation. It was suggested by the Anesthesiologist as well which was a Good doctor from what I could gather.

Sevoflurane Gas is used to keep the patient asleep during the operation. (no thanks, rather be awake though without the pain).

There are NO options for a natural Antibiotic either which was a surprise?
Two choices; Vancomcin and Ancef. I spoke with the chief pharmaceutical representative in charge of 'receiving' the medications for all patients in the hosptial as was told they receive whatever 'they give them' from higher up. I could ask for a natural solution providing I provide the research though this is a step I shouldn't have to take. There should ALWAYS be a natural medicine available as an option for those who ask for it. This is general 'patients rights' Not to have to take untested/ FDA rubber stamped man-made drugs with many known side affects.

I have found issues with all of the man-made options listed above though too much data to get into here though if anyone has had known issues with any of the above, I would encourage you to report what you know from personal or second hand experience. ThnX.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I believe there should be an outlet for soldiers to come together in a group therapy session to encourage 'all' soldiers active/inactive to participate without having to be 'labeled' PTSD.
I'm sure many of you would agree.

Honestly, I have no nightmares, no flashbacks, no depression, no anxiety from the 'service' though have witnessed much death and destruction.
I would like to participate time to time with folks who may need assistance with whatever myself or others may have to 'assist'. It would be my pleasure, Bros in arms.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”

Mark Twain

*Loyalty*

Noble-ty

Honor

Courage

When it comes to 'therapy', knowledge or wisdom, why not start with those whom are known to have the Xperience? The "Oxford Dictionary of Modern Quotations" is a personal favorite of which was as a security blanket for a 19 year old walking a tightrope with Silence on the left and Truth on the Right.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
As the title states I went for my first sssion today focusing on cognitive therapy in a group environment at the PTSD clinic at my local VA. I must say I was surprised as hell after the hour and a half session was over. There were six of us who showed up. One woman who was retired Army, four older gentelmen from the Vietnam era, and myself an OIF veteran. I swear I could have been sitting in that room with five other ATS members and a psychologist and a student. I could not believe how much in common our views were.

We were discussing how our lives have changed from prior to our experiences and how they have changed since. Every single person stated that the status of our country and the needless wars are their biggest stressors and make the PTSD that much worse. The corrupt government and even issues with the VA were disgussed without a negative response form the two staff members. They are completly open to discussing these matters and they understand that we are looked at as crazy for the things we believe. But the truth is crazy and when you put a group of angry veterans together the truth will come out.

The man I sat next to and I bonded right away and I really do wonder if he may be a member here. Anyways it was just nice to spend some time with others who are alike and not just by communicating on a web forum. It gave me a glimmer of hope. I just thought I would share my storie. I am going to write a report about how this group goes and possibly submit it to the VA when it is complete. I will post it here but it will not b complete for at least twelve weeks.

Well I never was in the military, let alone combat, But I can identify with some of your frustrations. War's not good. Insecurity is worse. Good to hear it from your perspective. Keep us posted with that journal. I think personal accounts are going to become very valuable. Accounts as in narrations of one's experience. Herein lies a key to recuperation. and prosperity. You can't sell nothing without prosperity. Prosperity is king. don't let them convince you otherwise. The more secure the whole the less secure the top. I don't mean they are going away. they just might not be the top any longer. Somebody else might be at the top. they would still be doing good but they wouldn't be the top. I'm saying we need a little flexibility Gains in productivity should be shared by all. Not just by those who were able to make all the other ones obsolete. Efficiency, brother. we don't need you any longer. Thanks for coming. Pretty soon you got everything. And what have you got? I say get the cash to flowing. Loosen up some of that stashed away dough Locked up tight out of sight. You know who you are. I'm saying spring loose some of that cash. let it go. Swirl it round all over.town get it flowing. Get it going. Be good for you, be good for every body. Keep the money flowing. Just remember if the dough ain't flowing the go ain't going.

I'm sorry. I'm off track. Keep typing. Glad to see people are waking up.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

NO YOUR ALL JUST PLAIN OLD CRAZY! Ask the psychology person who was taking notes, he'll tell you!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

disgussed without a negative response form the two staff members.

Now they have you on the list.
they Will give you drugs.
and they may take you to a room that no sound can be herd from.
shock and drugs. and god only knows what else.
keep and eye on the other inmates.
ask what happen to the others. did they just go home?
did they get better?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Just another product of society.
A favorite, but why?
Ho-hum?
.....and fyi, Not mua by any stretch of the imagination.

Though the subconscious aspect of the film may have an impact on the conscious perspective in 'real time'.
Why? For what purpose? Cui bono? All fun and games till someone loses their eye; 3rd-un.

Though the Conscience still implies choice; always has.
Some choices are easier than others.
Some in society are 'in the corner'; understood.
I'm sure most would understand, though most would fail the mirror test.
Though Good Night/Morning, wherever one may find themselves.
Smoochy.
mJ13>m13

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join