It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

While you were distracted.. Obama Quietly Extends National Emergency Declaration, 11 Years After 9/1

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I would expect this for at least the next decade...

Eleven years later, President Obama has quietly extended the national emergency declaration first issued by former President George W. Bush after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on New York City and the Pentagon.

The declaration, which has to be reissued each year, invokes several war-time powers that give the president greater control of the military. Obama cited the continuing threat of a terrorist attack in justifying his decision to continue the now 11-year national emergency.

I thought the war on terror ended when Obama spiked the ball in the endzone?? Hmmm. must have been those terrorist attacks on our US Embassies that struck a chord with Obama..

The powers re-invoked by President Obama all relate to the military and include the ability to suspend retirements and separations of military personnel, recall the Ready Reserve, activate recently-retired Coast Guard officers and personnel, and prohibit or regulate financial transactions with foreign entities involved in terrorism.

cnsnews.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
"Now LET ME BE CLEAR...

I loooove killin'!"

- Barack Obama

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Here's the info from the White House from September 11th.

Notice -- Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Certain Terrorist Attacks
Read the message at the WH website:
www.whitehouse.gov...

Message -- Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Persons Who Commit, Threaten to Commit, or Support Terrorism
Read the message at the WH website:
www.whitehouse.gov...

I'm getting really tired of all of this cloak and dagger stuff from the Obama admin.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I thought it ended when Bush unfurled his Mission Accomplished banner?

Why try to make a partisan thing when you know both candidates are on the same exact track. I am sorry I comment on so much of your stuff and I am sorry it has the same tone, but really you guys have go to wake up. You play right into it with this stuff.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Are you claiming that you think Obama should not have extended this?

Do you think Romney would have extended it and will continue to extend it?

What exactly is your point?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

I thought the war on terror ended when Obama spiked the ball in the endzone?? Hmmm. must have been those terrorist attacks on our US Embassies that struck a chord with Obama..

According to CNN it did:

"Killing Bin Lauden is the end of the war on terror, we can announce that right now." 1:06 in video

But we know we can believe what the media says, they would never lie to us... right?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This says two things.

1. There was a reason, that the attacks on our embassies were allowed.
2. The result is a continuation of DHS and other government agencies running a muck in this country to continue.

The good news, I might be wrong, but it seems to me that if this emergency declaration ever gets removed we can get rid of all those draconian agencies.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It is no longer an "emergency declaration", it is the new permanent police state, and I expect whomever is POTUS to continue with this crap ad nauseum until either our government collapses or the world ends, whichever comes first.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
There will never be an end to The War on Terror it is the same with the War on Drugs, The War on Poverty, The War on Illiteracy...The War for your mind...The War on the 99%...The Forever War

Welcome to Oceania! And Don't blame Obama he is just keeping up the inner party's agenda which sees no distinction between Republican or Democrat, Donkey or Elephant all are animals under them...

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and the shortest means to accomplish it.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Interesting... Even more so since the Obama administration ended the war on terror and refuses to label incidents terrorist attacks.

Time for people to contact your Congressional Rep to have Congress exercise their authority to end the extension.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Just wait until they start "The war on Religion"

That should go over well since the Usa is becoming Atheist dominant!

I didn't mean to reply to you Xcathdra (just ment to post to everyone in general)
edit on 10-10-2012 by theclutch because: add

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Imagine if you were at work, and the fire alarm went off. You get up and exit like everyone else. Outside you see a big fire, some people even died, but eventually the fire goes out, and life goes on. After a while, you go back to your desk, but the fire alarm is still going off. And continues, day after day, for eleven years. Now, maybe there was a fire, but it has since been put out, but the alarm continues to go off. Everyone pretends to ignore it, while at the same time touting its benefits. "well, you never know, a new fire could break out any minute. You know those fires don't give up so easily." Would you quit? Buy ear plugs? Or just reassure your co-workers it's for their own safety? Would you believe the fire hates you because you're luke warm?

And then, what if there was a new fire, but since the fire alarm has been going off for eleven years, everyone ignores it. What if this emergency is to desensitize us, so that if an emergency does happen, most people will ignore it.
edit on 10-10-2012 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by theclutch
reply to post by Xcathdra

Just wait until they start "The war on Religion"

That should go over well since the Usa is becoming Atheist dominant!

I didn't mean to reply to you Xcathdra (just ment to post to everyone in general)
edit on 10-10-2012 by theclutch because: add

That war has been going on for decades.
It's pretty obvious.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Yep, the Republic went under on 9/11.
How they can justify this emergency declaration every since then is beyond me.
It's an open statement to the public of a big middle finger.
Makes no sense to continue paying Congress if we have a dictatorship.
I love how the media NEVER breathes a word of this every single year when they renew it.
Do you think the MSM is bought?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by HostileApostle
reply to post by jibeho

Are you claiming that you think Obama should not have extended this?

Do you think Romney would have extended it and will continue to extend it?

What exactly is your point?

Just informative!! That's why I said we should expect more of this extension for the next 10 years or so. Its all in the K.I.S.S. OP. My only ding at Obama is the fact that he has used the "death" of Bin Laden as part of his campaign stump and premature victory rally. All the while Al Qaeda continues to grow stronger and get more organized as illustrated by the the terror attacks on our Embassies.

One more thing. Remember when the current administration rebadged the "War on terror" and dubbed it an "Overseas Contingency Operation" instead. Quite the opposite nowadays eh?? The terrorist threat never went away despite the change in words.... Playing the name game does not change the reality.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
it really doesnt matter, they are all the same face, all the same party, all going to sign the same damn things, get over it already, the nazi's won.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by jibeho

I thought it ended when Bush unfurled his Mission Accomplished banner?

Why try to make a partisan thing when you know both candidates are on the same exact track. I am sorry I comment on so much of your stuff and I am sorry it has the same tone, but really you guys have go to wake up. You play right into it with this stuff.
The never ending Bush comments. Will they ever end?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I can't believe that this is allowed to go on, I mean what possible reason do they have to keep extending this for? The war in Afghanistan is winding down, Osama and Saddam both dead and there hasn't been an attack on American soil since 9/11. I'd say that the threat to America is pretty much done with and it's time to stop issuing this over and over again. I wish more people questioned their government as we all have a right to do when we feel something isn't right.

Trillions of dollars poured into national defence and people still live in fear, when does it stop?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

You obviously missed my point when I followed it with my "partisan" comments.
It was a joke. I don't care about either of them. There is just one big government and complaining about only one side is a halfassed complaint.
edit on 11-10-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Imagine if you were at work, and the fire alarm went off. You get up and exit like everyone else. Outside you see a big fire, some people even died, but eventually the fire goes out, and life goes on. After a while, you go back to your desk, but the fire alarm is still going off. And continues, day after day, for eleven years. Now, maybe there was a fire, but it has since been put out, but the alarm continues to go off. Everyone pretends to ignore it, while at the same time touting its benefits. "well, you never know, a new fire could break out any minute. You know those fires don't give up so easily." Would you quit? Buy ear plugs? Or just reassure your co-workers it's for their own safety? Would you believe the fire hates you because you're luke warm?

And then, what if there was a new fire, but since the fire alarm has been going off for eleven years, everyone ignores it. What if this emergency is to desensitize us, so that if an emergency does happen, most people will ignore it.
edit on 10-10-2012 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

I think you're right. It's all a desensitization tactic. How many times over the last eleven years has the threat level changed? How many times have we seen the president interrupt TV broadcasts to "warn" of possible attacks? They never know when or where they'll happen it's always "we've got intel, be alert everyone." We're living in Orwell's 1984 now and most people have been so desensitized they don't even know it. Sure some people get scared, but most of us brush it off and go about our daily lives. I think a nuclear device could go off somewhere in this country and so long as where we live wasn't being immediately affected by fallout, the majority of us would simply cross whatever part of the country the attack happened off of our list of potential vacation spots.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join