It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hic est tuum temptamen quod temptat tua potentia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   

has just appeared....amantine ? you around to translate ???

anyone else know ?

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
this is your trial and trial (temptation) your might (power, authority)

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
also

the image is moving now....

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Though I think Mirthful Me is correct with the latin saying "this is your trial and trial your might", here are some of the literal translations of the words in case we need them in the future.

hic - this, this one; this present; in court, my client
hic - here; in this place, in this matter; hereupon

tuus -a -um, possess. pron. of the 2nd pers. sing. thy, thine, your.

temptamentum -. a trial, attempt, essay.

quod, conj.: the fact that, the point that; as to the fact that, whereas; because, on the ground that; why, on which account; with temporal clauses, since; as far as, to the extent that; introducing a fresh sentence, and, but, now, esp. foll. by si.

temptatio -onis, f. a trial, test; an attack.
temptator -oris, m. an assailant.
tempto -are, to prove, try, test, attempt; to test by attack, to assail; to work upon, tamper with, excite, disturb.

tu, pron. you.

potentia -ae, f. power, might, ability; efficacy, potency; esp. (unofficial) political power.

[edit on 10/18/2004 by infinite8]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I don't think the last latin phrase is any hint on the game itself, just as statement that the game will be a test of our abilities. I think the clues must be in the maze. Why the illusion of spinning?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
When i mix and match the translations, the best i get is "this is your trial, now prove your (power, might, ability; efficacy, potency)"

--pineapple

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
potentia = potental

regardless of what those translators tell you...

[edit on 10/19/2004 by Assassin]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
My two cents:

Maybe it is just a challenge but in case its not, does anyone know if Latin is one of those languages that says things kinda backwards. I am not a linguist so I'm not even sure how to explain it. Like when the verb comes first in writing, but when you read it aloud you still say it in the right order. Also tempamentun and temptat are obviously two different forms of the same word right? So they would have to have at least slightly different meanings.

Hic can mean this or this is. Est can mean here, in this place, in this matter. tempamentum refers to a test of some kind. It could read: In this place you are tested.

Quod can mean to the extent, as far as, and, but, now, etc. Temptat can mean try, prove, attempt. Tu is you. Potentia can mean power might , ability, potential. So it could read: Now prove your ability.

This would make sence if we are referring to innitiations, or passage to other realms, often associated with the underworld and labyrinths. And, as we are nearing the day of the dead, it would be a good time for puzzles related to the underworld, cycle of life death rebirth, and any form of initiation. Although it may go on way beyond "day of the dead".

So bacically i think they're saying.... You're being tested....show us what ya got!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
something like...

"here is your trial now prove your ability/power/potential"
that's what I got out of it, I really don't know that much Latin

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Looks liike a disk to me, ie cd/hd with data packets.
Not much more to add apart from the page should change tonight, it expires at "21 October 2004 19:42:04".

top topics

join