It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy spy sold secrets to Russia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Navy spy sold secrets to Russia

www.cbc.ca

Canadian Forces Sub-Lt. Jeffrey Paul Delisle walked into the Russian Embassy in Ottawa in 2007 and offered to sell secrets to that country's military intelligence agency, beginning an espionage career that lasted almost four years, according to court material published by CBC News after the naval officer pleaded guilty to spying today.

Delisle, 41, pleaded guilty in a Halifax court Wednesday to breach of trust and two counts of passing information to a foreign entity between July 2007...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Ottawa plans measured response to alleged spying

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
This story was kept under wraps last January when it first came out for obvious reasons. The nation for which he spied for was never mentioned until now.

There was plenty of speculation as for which country he could have been spying for, most people guessed Russia or Israel.

It turns out it was Russia according to today's announcement.

I wonder what kind of infomration he shared and how sensitive it may have been? Due to security reasons we will probably never know.

www.cbc.ca

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Should be hung for treason.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay

So should most of our elected officials and their enablers.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Woah, interesting story, thanks for sharing!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
When your country turns their back on you, you do the same to them.

Or he just wanted to be rich lol.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
what a jerk. an oath is an oath. He is not even aligned with nature. You do not betray your own. That is unforgivable. Many people might suffer because of it. Unacceptable.

Hang him.

his actions could lead to the deaths of many of his EX-brothers and sisters in arms, not tomention his people.

scum.

edit on 10-10-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Originally posted by TFCJay

So should most of our elected officials and their enablers.
You got that right, Corruption!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

This story was kept under wraps last January when it first came out for obvious reasons. The nation for which he spied for was never mentioned until now.

There was plenty of speculation as for which country he could have been spying for, most people guessed Russia or Israel.

I wonder what kind of infomration he shared and how sensitive it may have been? Due to security reasons we will probably never know.

www.cbc.ca

Like Romney said, Russia is our biggest geo-political threat, and they were more than willing to buy this information. That doesn't shout "friend" or "ally" to me. Russia and China should each be treated with extreme prejudice.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Like Romney said, Russia is our biggest geo-political threat, and they were more than willing to buy this information. That doesn't shout "friend" or "ally" to me. Russia and China should each be treated with extreme prejudice.

Like Romney said? I thought jihad was the biggest geo-political threat? I guess that whole Cold War thing was just a television show but now that Romney has stated Russia is a threat lets all run for the hills. Besides this is a Canadian issue so not sure where that ol' draft dodger fits in to this. Remember that little operation code named paper clip? stealing and selling technology to enemies has been going on since warfare started and it probably wont ever stop, with any nation.

Funnily enough Russian foreign minister Lavrov said recently that "Certain politicians wish to reanimate the image of a geopolitical adversary in the person of our country,” whichever you team you are rooting for, one can easily turn the table around and say the White House is full of insane people above the law and bent on power that should be treated with extreme prejudice, hmm?

edit on 10-10-2012 by onethatisrampant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by onethatisrampant

Like Romney said? I thought jihad was the biggest geo-political threat? I guess that whole Cold War thing was just a television show but now that Romney has stated Russia is a threat lets all run for the hills. Besides this is a Canadian issue so not sure where that ol' draft dodger fits in to this. Remember that little operation code named paper clip? stealing and selling technology to enemies has been going on since warfare started and it probably wont ever stop, with any nation.

Funnily enough Russian foreign minister Lavrov said recently that "Certain politicians wish to reanimate the image of a geopolitical adversary in the person of our country,” whichever you team you are rooting for, one can easily turn the table around and say the White House is full of insane people above the law and bent on power that should be treated with extreme prejudice, hmm?

edit on 10-10-2012 by onethatisrampant because: (no reason given)

I can't quite figure out the point of your rambling rant. Funnily enough we have Russia stealing state secrets gladly. The fact this is Canada is more damning than if it was the US. So please what is your point again?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

wtf?! I hope he sold them all the #ty secrets...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Sub-Lt. Jeffrey Paul Delisle walked into the Russian Embassy in Ottawa in 2007
Lets rewind that, HE WALKS IN. It is 2007, now I would think that everyone "walking into" a Russian, Chinese, North Korean (see where I'm going) embassy would be registered by someone watching the embassy for this sort of thing. Or wait, maybe it is illegal for the services of a given country to watch the other side? Maybe it is too much work?

edit on 11-10-2012 by tintin2012 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
And he's just one of them who got caught and thankfully because of his stupidity and that of the Russians who should have known that if you carry anything over $10k across borders you will be detained and investigated. If released you will be documented and followed up on.
5 years is all he'll get?? Weak.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
What should happen to the guys who are sent to meet Russian spies for the USA?

Should they be drawn and quartered too?

LOL @ life.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

www.cbc.ca

What did he do for the Navy? That might lead us to what sort of secrets he may ahve compromised. Submariner? P-3C patrol pilot?

ETA: google says "Naval Intelligence Offcier." That is a bit broad, but, given that it was the Russians, I can only guess that the information might have something to do with arctic circle ASW assets. Given the increased interest the Russians have in the arctic seafloor, this makes sense. Just a guess, though.
edit on 11-10-2012 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
3k a month for years and years? wonder how much he made total ?sounds a little cheap to be honest he could have got a better deal.

and LOL @ the Zealot patriots
edit on 11-10-2012 by CaptainJeanLuc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Hm. Any military personnel following this story know what a sub-Lt can get his hands on? Patrol routes, naval weapon schematics, etc.?
edit on 11-10-2012 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
Hm. Any military personnel following this story know what a sub-Lt can get his hands on? Patrol routes, naval weapon schematics, etc.?
edit on 11-10-2012 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

This is all I can get out of it:

Delisle was posted to the security unit HMCS Trinity, an intelligence facility at the naval dockyard in Halifax. It tracks vessels entering and exiting Canadian waters via satellites, drones and underwater devices.

While there he worked on a system called the Stone Ghost, said CBC reporter Rob Gordon.

"It's a computer system that links the five eyes. The five eyes are the United States, Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. All their information is shared on the Stone Ghost computer.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
is it really that easy to become a spy? just be in a position where you are known to have access to info, and just simply stroll into another embassy like a salesman?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join