It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO and Alcoholic Beverages

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
So I started thinking about the latest information and legislation about GMO foods and wondered about the exemption on alcoholic beverages in the proposed bill in CA.
"Californians set to vote on bill requiring labeling of genetically modified foods"
www.pri.org...

But not everything is covered. For example, milk and dairy products made from cows that are fed genetically modified food wouldn't have to be labeled as containing such.

"Two other exemptions are for food that is served in restaurants in California and also there's an exemption for alcoholic beverages," Frank said. "Politics is always the art of the possible and it may be that the initiative proponents didn't want to take on too many lobbies and business groups at one time."

Then I started to really think about it. I'm not a drinker, it just doesn't agree with me. But I thought of all the average people that do and figured there are a lot that wouldn't even know about GMO in their food let alone their alcohol. So I ran another search and came to this.

"GMO-Free Liquor? Not As Far As You Know"
So the TTB released the little bombshell below. Basically, you can't put "GMO-free" or something similar on an alcoholic beverage label, even if the product is.

For the most part if you're drinking anything made from corn in the US (all bourbon, some vodkas) you're drinking genetically modified corn. Spirits from other crops too. In many (most? all?) export markets, however, you can't use this. Thus many (all?) bourbons make a GMO-free version for export.

Because most of Four Roses bourbon is sold in Japan, however, their product is GMO-free, even in the US. However, distiller Jim Rutledge said he didn't think there would be enough GMO-free corn left in a few years so things might change.

Now, does anything from the GMO crop pass through distillation? I don't know; I'd guess probably not. But people may want to support non-GMO farming. It's the same with organic booze - you probably can't taste the difference, but you're putting your support behind organic farming.

www.alcademics.com...

So with all the focus on the food, we don't question the other possible methods for ingesting this GMO crap.

The worst combination I can think of would be anything mixed with a "diet" soda as that increases the toxic Monsanto cocktail with their artificial sweetener. I know there are a lot of people that have drinks like that.

The laws are different in Europe, I came across this.

Fruit juice, beer, wine, and liquor – many of our beverages are based on plant ingredients. Neither the plants themselves, nor the yeasts used in alcoholic fermentation are genetically modified. Nonetheless, many beverages are produced using enzymes made with the help of genetically modified microorganisms.

www.gmo-compass.org...
So even if they can't use the GMO main ingredients they can use the altered enzymes.

I hope this makes people wonder about what their drinking the next time they hit the bars.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by obnoxiouschick

I have thought about this a lot, being a drinker. Maybe a former drinker at this point.. Been at least a week and a half, maybe two weeks since I had a drink.

I also wonder if the process they use gets all the fluoride out of beer. Beer doesn't get distilled does it?

I'm trying my best to be healthy, but it seems for every bit I try, they try 10 times harder to poison me.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
There are more and more gluten-free beers and spirits hitting the market, and many craft beer companies pride themselves on telling the consumer where the ingredients came from.

If you're overly concerned with GMO crops being used for alcoholic beverages, e-mail the company. You just might help a line of non-GMO beverages get the corporate green light.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

I have thought about this a lot, being a drinker. Maybe a former drinker at this point.. Been at least a week and a half, maybe two weeks since I had a drink.

I also wonder if the process they use gets all the fluoride out of beer. Beer doesn't get distilled does it?

I'm trying my best to be healthy, but it seems for every bit I try, they try 10 times harder to poison me.

This is from someone trying to substitute fruit extracts for the usual corn syrup. Beer is fermented. Think about it ...it's grains

The brewing of beer is an ancient art. The basic ingredients of beer have remained unchanged for centuries and include grain malt (typically barley malt), hops, water, and yeast. It is known in the art that grain malt can be replaced in whole or in part by so-called "brewingadjuncts." Adjuncts are fermentable non-malt materials that supply additional carbohydrates beyond the principal material, malted barley. Adjuncts are typically used to make beer lighter-bodied and/or cheaper. The amount of adjunct used can vary from 30-75% of the malt composition.

[0004] Suitable brewing adjuncts include maize, rice, sugar, and various syrups. The two major syrups used in brewing are sucrose- and starch-based. The sucrose-based syrups have been refined from natural sources such as sugar cane or beets. The starch-based syrups are produced from cereals by hydrolysis using acid, exogenous enzymes, or a combination of the two, to produce a range of syrups with different fermentabilities. In recent years, there has been significant development in the range of starch-based syrups produced from corn and wheat. In the United States, these adjuncts are produced exclusively from yellow corn; while in Europe, they are produced from corn and wheat. One example of such an adjunct is brewer's corn syrup, which is a pure, clear, sweet liquid that is specially prepared from corn starch for use in brewing. Corn syrup has become an important brewing adjunct primarily because it is cost effective, non-acidic, and contains fermentable sugars such as fructose and glucose.

[0005] The process of preparing fermented malt beverages, such as, beer, ale, porter, malt liquor, and other similar fermented alcoholic beverages (hereinafter referred to simply as "beer" for convenience) is historically well established and generally includes the following steps. First, barley is malted by germination. The purpose of malting is to bring forth enzymes that break down starch and proteins to less complex water soluble compounds (such as amino acids, fermentable sugars, and small peptides). The malted barley is then crushed to create a "grist." Next, a "mash" of malt is prepared by adding water (and typically brewing adjuncts) to the grist. The mash is heated to solubilize the proteins and convert the starch into sugar and dextrins. Next, the aqueous extract is separated (the wort), which is rich in fermentable sugars. The wort is boiled in a brew kettle to inactivate enzymes, sterilize the wort, extract desired hop components from added hops (thereby adding flavors to the composition), and coagulate certain protein-like substances. The wort is then strained (to remove spent hops and coagulum), cooled, pitched with yeast, and fermented. This fermentation step is commonly referred to as "primary fermentation," where the wort and yeast convert sugar (glucose) to ethanol and carbon dioxide. After fermentation, a beverage is obtained that typically contains about 3% to about 6% alcohol by weight. The fermented brew, known as "green" or "ruh" beer, is then aged ("lagered"). The ruh beer is usually siphoned off of its sediment (commonly referred to as "racking"). Optionally, the racked beer is subjected to a priming step, where an additional sugar source is added to the beer. Typically, the amount of additional sugar added at the priming stage is relatively small compared to the amount provided during fermentation. Generally, the additional sugar is added at this stage to provide carbonation in the beer. The brew is clarified, filtered, pasteurized, and packaged to produce the desired finished beer.

www.flex-news-food.com...

So both the barley, wheat, hops and the enzymes are altered in the US. In Europe specifically Germany they can't use altered enzymes.

As far as the fluoride that will be another research thread for me to work on.

edit on 10/10/2012 by obnoxiouschick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

It isn't really a big concern for me since I already stated I don't drink alcohol.
But this comment from the article

They also say that it could be misleading to refer to these terms on the label, and I could certainly see that. For example, if your rye whiskey was labelled as "from GMO-free rye" yet the corn in the mashbill were GMO-rich Monsanto corn, that would certainly be misleading.
www.alcademics.com...

Yes the company could promote nonGMO ingredients but also not even mention using other GMO ingredients or altered enzymes. That's why the whole issue is skirted in the bill and exempt.
edit on 10/10/2012 by obnoxiouschick because: grammer

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Oh and I just wanted to add that I think it's great that you're trying to quit.
My husband had his last drink 11/21/11 he drank mostly rum w/ coke.
Since quitting he says a fog lifted after around 3 months.
He was always sensitive to energy and spirits in general but now he actually sees others auras.
What's even stranger is I'm pretty sensitive to energy and I feel the vortex in my palm chakras. If I place my hand on his chest he feels the swirl effect of my energy interacting with his energy. Now he goofs saying he never would have experienced this stuff before when he drank. All the chemicals and toxins effect your chakras. So it is a dramatic change and one that he wishes others could experience, but it takes a lot of will power to refrain from that crutch. What helps is figuring out why you drink, what you're escaping from and why you want to not feel it. It's difficult to do. I give you a lot of credit for quitting. It will be very rewarding for you.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
No need to worry much further, for with the amount of awareness being put out about the worlds' food & what people are putting into their body, its only inevitable for there to be a shift (gradual or dramatic) that will put us back in line with food coming from nature.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by survival

I sure hope you are right.
It would be nice not to worry about these things.
We need the labeling and more awareness about it's dangers.
That recent report about Whole Foods had a reporter asking people about their knowledge of GMO and a lot of people never heard of it.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
We need a GMO Bill of Rights and stop the evil rich from spoiling our food.
There must be some evil genius like in the days of 60s '___' maniacs behind GMO food.
And what do law makers do, follow orders.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Yes we do but it would be great if it didn't have exemptions.
If I lived in CA I'd make a stink about the exemptions on their bill.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by obnoxiouschick

Yes we do but it would be great if it didn't have exemptions.
If I lived in CA I'd make a stink about the exemptions on their bill.

All the great California grape and wine farmers will be suspect now and have to spend more
money to the Illuminati for proof of non GMO products. Don't you see the insidious way
money into science affecting out lives just helps the other sectors of the Illuminati take
more money away from us.

How much money will wineries pay for labels that soon by law will have the required non GMO
blessing of some Illuminati wine board all because of evil GMO funding.

Woh. Governor Brown had the patent for catalytic converter for cars. So he has California pass
some clean air act making his patent mandatory. Then the rest of the nation follows. This case
is obvious and so are the rest as alternative non Illuminati solutions are available.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

or people resort to not just growing their own food but also making their own wines and spirits.
Good ol moonshine.

Just glad
I don't drink

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

or people resort to not just growing their own food but also making their own wines and spirits.
Good ol moonshine.

Just glad
I don't drink

I dislike home grown food, it tastes terrible.
One other thing about the government and food producers came to mind.
There was a case in Spain where the olive oil was allowed to be diluted with some poison.
I would call it something else so naturally some woman drinks olive oil from the bottle
in a large enough amount to become brain damaged. The tainting rules are everywhere
as hot dogs routinely have their purity guidelines exposed as allowing some amount of
bugs and such.

S&F if I didn't already for look at a problem we all must solve.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Thank you for the S&F
Why on earth would someone drink a bottle of olive oil that's sounds really odd.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Thank you for the S&F
Why on earth would someone drink a bottle of olive oil that's sounds really odd.

Good post I like to keep up to date with science and the impact on the people.
There might be small bottles in Spain or perhaps she only ingested a small amount and
I can only think do not pick up bad habits which that does seem to be one.

Diluted products are worrisome, needless to say every time I see a bottle of olive oil I
wonder and hope is all 100% oil of the olive and there are no waivers and deviations
allowed. In fact I thought there was a problem with
www.google.com...
that and some other oil recently but must have been minor and only news worthy at the
moment only not made in America how dumb a problem is that.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Oh and I just wanted to add that I think it's great that you're trying to quit.
My husband had his last drink 11/21/11 he drank mostly rum w/ coke.
Since quitting he says a fog lifted after around 3 months.
He was always sensitive to energy and spirits in general but now he actually sees others auras.
What's even stranger is I'm pretty sensitive to energy and I feel the vortex in my palm chakras. If I place my hand on his chest he feels the swirl effect of my energy interacting with his energy. Now he goofs saying he never would have experienced this stuff before when he drank. All the chemicals and toxins effect your chakras. So it is a dramatic change and one that he wishes others could experience, but it takes a lot of will power to refrain from that crutch. What helps is figuring out why you drink, what you're escaping from and why you want to not feel it. It's difficult to do. I give you a lot of credit for quitting. It will be very rewarding for you.

That's actually why I drank. It's also why I'm thinking about starting again.

You see at one point in time I met God. I was the same thing as everything. I meditated everyday. Energy shot up my spine and some random part of me welcomed Jesus and said 'Hi God" which is weird for an atheist... I was on a path, and I knew that a great darkness was in control of this planet. I aligned myself on the Good side.

I started figuring out ways of how to use the fact that I AM ALL to my advantage,
changing the game. That's when the Demons came.

I was so sensitive to begin in this life, but meditation turned me into a very powerful antenna.

I drink to stay away from the energy. There are those who still have my number, and still would come after me if they could.

Trust me when I say I was so good at energy work that I could heat up my body like those monks do. I could do Horse stance for hours at a time.

I still can't eat sugar anymore, it's like poison, and to this day I can sense energy, and sense how each thing I eat or drink affects my energy.

Even now 2 weeks without alcohol I have things happening around me again. The dark side is losing it's grip, but I don't want to tempt them while they still may lash out in a panic.

Even while on alcohol I can sense other peoples energy way too strong. I have to constantly tell my girl to stop "shaking" inside. She's like "oh I didn't realize."
People MAKE me feel them constantly. I AM them. I don't like feeling their worried energy. It's yucky. I have spent a lot of time cultivating my calm knowing energy, and I like to stay there. Others energy hurts me, literally. alcohol protects me until I figure out some sort of off switch.
edit on 10/11/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

This will turn into a metaphysics thread if I go to far into it but ....
Just an opinion
Demons want people to drink it makes them weaker.
It pollutes the body and attracts negative energy.

I had to help my husband purge a lot of negative energy blocks associated with past traumas since he quit. Instead of dwelling on these he actually had to experience some of the emotions again to release them. Then shift his focus to positive things.
I won't go into my beliefs about God, we are both Christian. But I also experienced a connection with God when my chakras were stimulated. It just made my faith stronger.
I do meditation and prayer. The less toxic my body the more sensitive I am to others energy but I do feel stronger against negative energy now.
There was a time I used to get physically ill around people. But that was when I was being sort of anti religious and researched other beliefs.
I also dealt with a demon. They always try to come back.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Man, that struck a chord in me.

I lived a yogic lifestyle in the bush (not far from where I am now) for nearly three years. I was so super-sensitive it was ridiculous. I literally felt I was living around my physical body, not in it. When I had to eventually return to work, I had to start drinking again and eat meat products, just so I could associate with the 'dark' people. I am now one of those 'dark' people. Funny how things turn out.

The other big issue to consider is the global social unrest at the moment. It is very hard to deal with when you are an empath. It's got to be one or the other - shut it out totally or jump in and try to swim.

I am really interested in your progress Dusty. Keep me in the loop if you like on the U2U's. I have some ideas that you might like.

Peace to You

* Ned

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
See this must be one of those things that people don't want to think about.
What better way to numb and sedate the masses than to mess with the substances they already use to escape from reality.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I personally don't feel the need to avoid GMO but for those who do I have one word, "Homebrew". If distilled spirits is your preferred drink then you can't legally make that at home but I don't think you have to worry because both fluoride and any proteins in the GMO stock should be distilled out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join