It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hi, My Name is Ned and I’m a Drug Addict

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by obnoxiouschick

Thanks OC, a thoughtful reply and you raise some interesting points.

The brain fog is very real. When you're in it though it's very hard to be aware of it.

The main reason I started drinking was to escape from reality and shut down my empathic awareness. I was a shy sensitive kid who could not face the world head on. It seemed a scary, insane place to me growing up. I didn't want to be a part of it. It helped me to cope then and it's doing the same now while I'm recovering from a marriage break-down, be it in a physically unhealthy manner.

Peace to You

* Ned

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cuopar

That's great to hear - good work. Thanks very much Cuopar.

I'm feeling the love on this thread.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
I read the first four paragraphs and I thought "wow this is going to be deleted at light speed".

Then I got to the fifth paragraph and saw you were talking about alcohol.

I think it's funny how we don't associate all those normal social stigmas with alcohol.

So'k I thought he was talking about sugar...of course that is killing more of us than booze.

Good luck to you Ned!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Ned, do you drink yourself to sleep every night? If you're getting bent every night drinking Wild Turkey on ice and shot gunning cans of beer, just stop buying it and find a different hobby in place of the time u spend drinking. Un-plug the TV. Quitting cold turkey is possible. You CAN do it! If I did it, anybody can do it. I was drinking 1 liter of Vodka in a single night, maybe 7 hours and that bottle was gone. If I went out, $150 spent every time. I did this for a while, not 30 yrs, but long enough and then I almost died one night from drinking too much, too fast. I quit cold turkey 9 yrs ago and I haven't been drunk since. I quit for 5 yrs without a drop, since then, I have maybe 12 drinks a yr just because I like Margaritas, colorado bulldogs, a long island ice tea or a slippery nipple every now and then. But that's it! 1 and I'm done. Finding a hobby really helped 9 yrs ago.
I bought a pool table and my new hobby became pool. I started playing hockey again and I never think about drinking.
So my advice is to just stop buying it and find a new hobby, Ned. Im telling ya, it can work. May I suggest sky diving. You sound like you've just been kicked back with your brew, taking it easy for too long. No real excitement. Go buy some bungee cords, a harness and a high bridge. Break out of that shell you're in and find that rush! lol
If it's not so easy for you, then the way I see it, being a drinker, isn't as bad as being A LOT of other things. Just to name a few. At least you're not a drug dealer, a heroin junkie, a child molester, a thief, a cranky SOB, A catholic priest, a cop on a power trip, a corrupt politician, Andy Dick or a 1%er. Ya know? Real low life human beings.
But anyways, I hope you're serious and I hope my advice helps. Good luck!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MNnativeamer

Careful, quitting cold turkey can kill a person. search.yahoo.com...=A0oGdUYK_XZQhS0A2H1XNyoA;_ylu=X3o'___'E2dTF1cmI1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA01TWUMwMDFfMTI5/SIG=121jc4t7c/EXP= 1350004106/**http%3a//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens

health.nytimes.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by nimbinned
The truth is, nobody really uses responsibly, because it’s nearly impossible to stop at just 1 drink.

That's not true... for most people. For alcoholics it IS true. "One is too many and 50 isn't enough." Trust me I know. I've got 5 years on you here. Aside from tobacco that hardest think to quit.

ETA: I'm not an alcoholic. I'm a drunk. The difference? I don't go to meetings.

edit on 11-10-2012 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

It's ones too many and 1000 is not enough !!! 50 is just a tease !! How have you stayed sober for 5 years ? I'm coming up on 5 years in the spring ! (AA)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
How have you stayed sober for 5 years ?

I haven't. That said I haven't been on a bender for almost 7 years. That'll be in Feb.

I'm coming up on 5 years in the spring ! (AA)

Didn't work for me. I've got my own problems. Don't need to hear others. "Take what you need and leave the rest"? Sorry, I leave it all. I realize that it works for some. Just not for me.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

Ok
Similar response that I got from the other person.
To not feel the energy off of others and numbing it with alcohol.
But isn't it better to be clear headed and physically feel more alive.

I do think that alcohol pollutes the body in such a way that negative energy is attracted to it more.

I don't know ... lately I've been feeling more sensitive to all energies but I've been just avoiding certain people too.

A good way is distract yourself with good things.
Exercise produces the "feel good "hormones
Balance the vitamin deficiencies - eat good food
The withdrawal from sugar is tough since your body converted the alcohol to sugar.
My husband started drinking coffee with only a bit of sugar but has chocolate. He was eating Hersheys at first then switched to a higher % dark chocolate from Trader Joes.

It is tough dealing with a break up.
You need supportive people around you when you try to quit.
I also used to work with substance abusers so if you need to vent just U2U message me.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

All the best to You ! As long as You have a handle on it , I guess it's working for Ya !!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Hey Ned!
When the SHTF you will either stop immediately or drink much more then you used to and die.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hi Ned, I'm sorry to hear you are powerless over alcohol. That must be real bummer. Most of us are able to use alcohol without it becoming so problematic, but thanks for your concern, and remember, A day at a time.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Ned may I ask how much you are drinking after work? Are you drinking to get #faced or just a couple to take the edge off the day?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

The truth is, nobody really uses responsibly, because it’s nearly impossible to stop at just 1 drink.

That's not true... for most people. For alcoholics it IS true. "One is too many and 50 isn't enough." Trust me I know. I've got 5 years on you here. Aside from tobacco that hardest think to quit.

I agree with this guy. (at least this part)

I have the occasional drink at a party, or a sip of beer (it eventually gets flat, when you've opened the bottle a couple of times) maybe twice a month. I like alcohol as an entertainment beverage and for a bit of its stress relief properties.

That being said, when I was in University, I used to have a whole 6 pack and then some every third weekend or so, OR I would have plenty of shots and beer and hard drinks and get drunk at least once in 6 months. Don't have any of that now. It was fun back then.

I figure I do it only to get a high occasionally, and my high (maybe I should call it a kick?) comes from "X" number of drinks, based on how "used" to the drink I am. So, if I am less "used" to it, I can get it more easily with a lot less. I don't count the volume of the drink I imbibe - its simply immaterial to me.

I know personally know others who go overboard as well. Can't tell why they are addicted. Some of them are aware it is a bad habit.

I guess I keep company with people who are ok with you if you are able to set your own limits. That is important to me. I tend to avoid the others - or just blatantly tell them that I don't care for the drink over a limit.

I've had a friend or two, who at one point in time would keep encouraging it - I got mad one day, and that stopped the encouragement.

Some alcohol (one to two wine glasses for instance), acts as a relaxant. Beyond that, it can cause the heart to slow down? (something like that - read Dr. Oz).

I'm not saying everyone has control over their addictions. Some people just have to do stuff "cold turkey", or relax the pace till they're done. Each person has to find his/her own comfort zone.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MNnativeamer

I'm using to deal with a stresfull life event. I will move through it eventually. I always do.

It's funny you should mention the skydiving thing. I was just thinking yesterday that I should start getting in to some 'fun' stuff as a healthy distraction. Skydiving was the first thing that came to mind. I'm a lucid dreamer and I fly in my dreams on a regular basis - so no doubt this will be an absolute buzz for me.

Thanks for your comments. The cold turkey thing is actually potentially fatal or dangerous to your health if you drink 'a lot' but I know what you're saying. You can't just have 'a little' drink now and again.

* Ned

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AttilaTheHun
Hey Ned!
When the SHTF you will either stop immediately or drink much more then you used to and die.

Most survivalists believe in keeping a good store of alcohol for a SHTF scenario. The theory being that it would make for a great bartering tool. I couldn't think of anything more dangerous for someone like me. I would be dead within a week.

Peace

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer
Ned may I ask how much you are drinking after work? Are you drinking to get #faced or just a couple to take the edge off the day?

During the week, a 6 pack of full strength beer or a bottle of wine per night, combined with something else that I can not mention here. Week-ends might be more than that. I crash a lot, waking up on the sofa in the middle of the night. or falling in to bed with my day clothes on. Not good really. I am now a seasoned campaigner, being able to get up and go to work feeling relatively OK because I know that the cycle will start again the next night. I still try to eat healthy food as much as possible and take vitamins. I have my own vege and fruit garden, but I struggle to eat what I grow, because the drinking always comes first.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer

During the week, a 6 pack of full strength beer or a bottle of wine per night, combined with something else that I can not mention here. Week-ends might be more than that. I crash a lot, waking up on the sofa in the middle of the night. or falling in to bed with my day clothes on. Not good really. I am now a seasoned campaigner, being able to get up and go to work feeling relatively OK because I know that the cycle will start again the next night. I still try to eat healthy food as much as possible and take vitamins. I have my own vege and fruit garden, but I struggle to eat what I grow, because the drinking always comes first.

Have you lost a job or gotten a dui due to your drinking? Are you tired of being sick and tired?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

I have worked in a family business for most of my life, so it's hard to get fired. I probably would have been many times over if I was just another employee.

I have been done for DUI and been jailed for drunk and disorderly a couple of times, but that was when I was younger - reckless and crazy, with a death wish. I don't do that crap anymore.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I have only been moderately drunk once in my 22 years and I didn't enjoy it very much.[snip]
edit on 11-10-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join