It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a SHTF scenario what would be the best non firearm weapon?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Close range, def a good Bowie knife. Good for piercing or slashing.
16" Bowie knife:

I also have always loved this blade called the Khyber Bowie (made famous in Indiana Jones Temple of Doom):
24" Khyber Bowie/Machete:

I am also a fan of pole arms. One of my favs is either the bec de corbin or the lucern hammer. They were both roughly 5 to 8 feet long. The bec de corbin was more of a "higher" society weapon as the "beak" was designed to "punch" through armor.

Lucern Hammer:

Bec de corbin:

Long range...gotta go with a Recurve bow as first choice or a real English style Long Bow. Might not have the range of a crossbow, but they are faster to reload and fire.

But don't write off one of the most ancient and deadly "ranged" weapons...the atlatl...no strings to break and highly efficient. The atlatl (the throwing stick) and the spears can easily be made with a few simple tools.

And don't sell off a good sling or sling shot. Just in all cases remember. If it requires replacement parts...i.e. a bowstring or rubber bands, you might not be able to find them. Be prepared just in case!

That's my plans!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
IF SHTF everybody needs to work together, not sit around sharpening their toys looking for an excuse to use them. Just imagine all the paranoia that's going to go around when everyone's brain meds are no longer available. Hopefully I'll die in the first blasts so I won't have to watch the further degeneration of mankind.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
No gun vs zombies? Feet don't fail me now! Failing that, a crossbow, a baseball bat and a Yari

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jeantherapy

That would be the ideal situation...however, not practical. Sad to say but people will need a way to protect themselves. I would prefer everyone "just work together" but there are always going to be the predatory class looking to take from those they feel are weaker or less deserving. You can hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

It's just fun speculation anyway.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
TNT, hand grenade, hummV ! LOL you did say non firearm !

Long bow. with the small metal tips,
it will go through a bullet vest or 3 zombis.
Katana or broadsword.

Make that a composite bow instead.... Insane accuracy, enough power to kill a bear and legal to carry around without a permit. A long bow asks too much of the shooter in regards to holding the force and aim at the samentime.

That... And a machete.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I've been watching deadliest warrior on Netflix. I think if I had access to them I would lil to have emei pearcers for short range. I would I want the twin hooks and a bow and arrow. If I can get my hands on it a metal helmet and a Viking shield.

Now seeing as how I do not have any of that I would probably use an ice pick, an e-tool , and a slingshot. Maybe poison darts in a blow gun.

It's hard be ayes I want to pack light but at the same time keep well armed. I plan on escaping into the wilderness! That said, I probably would need an ax or machete!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

A good lock blade knife, slingshot with a pouch full of ball bearings, a small compound bow and my pitbull.

That should cover just about everything I need for defense AND for getting some dinner.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This is what I am buying on Friday the M48 Ranger Tomahawk even comes with a comapss and the sheath has a pocket to hold it:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
short answer - intellegence

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
A short spear.
No doubt about it. Anything handheld by your assailant without the length of your spear requires him to be two or three feet closer for striking distance.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Crossbow. or maybe i've watched too much walking dead but honestly that seems about right..

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Hunting and defense
Crossbow. Fast reload, long range less hard to learn to operate than a bow (bow would be better but requires experience).

General purpose
Knife (can even serve as spear and can serve many more functions)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Cat o' Nine Tails

Yep, I went there...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Sorry but lets get real in a true shtf scenarios supplies are going to be in short supply.

Up close and personal weapons which we all know what they are bats,knives,swords put you in close proximty.

Not ideal as infection is just as dangerous as an armed assailant unless you have the medicines to treat and stitch cuts, and gashes.

Best forget the hollywood stuff.

Never put yourself in that position if your close enough to inflict damage your close enough to sustain damage,.

Which leaves 2 options

Offense which is stand off ranges or using stealth and avoid conflict however there are times that is not possible.

The best non firearm for a shtf YOUR MIND,
edit on 10-10-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha

Originally posted by r2d246
How about steel toed shoes? Just kick em in d balls wit ur steel toes!

But they dont feel pain.

No I was talking about your boyfriend.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Gator

Originally posted by generik

Originally posted by Doc Gator
I know that you specifically asked about non-firearms and there are many good suggestions in the replies, but I would consider them all to be secondary weapons. The simple fact is that firearms are the most effective personal weapons (assuming you can hit what you are aiming at). If I didn't have one, I would spend my time and resources getting one or making one.

Firearms are amazingly simple machines and can easily be built with minimal materials and tools. You won't end up with a glock or an MP5, but it will be effective.

ah but can you make gunpowder?, it is actually rather easy but would take a bit of time to make some of the components, like nitrates. one reason i prefer bows for distance overall, and a repeating crossbow even gives you multiple shots, without as much work as a standard crossbow. a recurve or longbow can get good rates of fire as well, but takes more practice to get your speed and accuracy up.

Yes, I can make black powder. And yes, it can be time consuming. And yes again, a crossbow or a recurve can be effective weapons. But, given a choice between a firearm and a bow, I'll take the firearm every time.

Black powder can blow up in your face. Guns have known to blow up. As well it's loud and you'd be heard and would give away your position. Although beggers can't be choosers. Just take what you can get I guess.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Sorry but lets get real in a true shtf scenarios supplies are going to be in short supply.

Up close and personal weapons which we all know what they are bats,knives,swords put you in close proximty.

Not ideal as infection is just as dangerous as an armed assailant unless you have the medicines to treat and stitch cuts, and gashes.

Best forget the hollywood stuff.

Never put yourself in that position if your close enough to inflict damage your close enough to sustain damage,.

Which leaves 2 options

Offense which is stand off ranges or using stealth and avoid conflict however there are times that is not possible.

The best non firearm for a shtf YOUR MIND,
edit on 10-10-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Close quarters combat is bound to happen. You shoot something at someone, which isn't a gun, it doesn't get the speed it needs, bounces off them, or penatrates just deep enough to royally tick them off, that's reality! and they then come at you hand to hand. So you'd need like a knife or club to get a bit of an advantage. Even a sward would be useless unless you were really good with it.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
For longer distance, where I had the time to reload, I would choose a sling (like David and Goliath) because it only takes one piece of string about 12 feet long to weave one. You can also make one out of two shorter pieces of string and a piece of jeans or other suitable material for the pouch in a pinch. You can even braid one (or plate, depending on where you're from) using plant fibers to make one, like they do in the Balearic Islands. The ammo is free and readily available almost anywhere. And I don't care who you are: a 4 or 5 ounce rock striking at 100 miles per hour will do damage no matter where it hits.

A bow and arrow would be quicker for succession firing, but for long-term, I would choose the sling. Unless I had spare bow strings and was able to make my own arrows and/or a new bow.

For close quarters, definitely some kind of sword. Preferably one that is all one piece so I don't have to worry about the handle breaking, etc. The handle part would be wrapped for comfort, of course.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I think the deadliest melee weapon I have is a katana. Of course the bow trumps the sword most of the time.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join