It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a SHTF scenario what would be the best non firearm weapon?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
In a SHTF scenario what would be the best non firearm weapon(s).

Like if you didn't have a gun what would you carry around instead, if lets say it wasn't safe to walk around without a weapon?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Simple.

machete ..

I'd also want a Bow and a sling shot though.

edit on 10/10/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
probably a really sharp butchers knife for closeup and a crossbow for long distance...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I can't think of anything I'd rather have more than a really sharp Katana...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
A skateboard - transport and baseball bat in one

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I think if you've found a BOL well then you could get a bunch of things.

But if you're on the road and you have to only choose a few, I think cops got it right to a large degree. Like think about it....

Here's what I'd carry, a small impact weapon like a small steel bar, or hardwood club.
Heavy duty zip ties, or bungee cords that could double as handcuffs in case you need to subdue someone (lightweight and can be used for other things)
Then I'd carry a basic survival knife, good for all around use plus protection
And if possible perhaps try and find a pistol crossbow, a slingshot, and or pepperspray.
Or maybe a short sward of some kind, as long as it's not to burdensome.

All this stuff combine you'd have ample protection, and most of it is functional for hunting, and protection from animals.

This looks like it could do double duty

edit on 10-10-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
teaser stick!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
A whole host of witty remarks and foul language

edit on 10-10-2012 by judus because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-10-2012 by judus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
How about steel toed shoes? Just kick em in d balls wit ur steel toes!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246

Talk about a stealthy attack

2nd

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
TNT, hand grenade, hummV ! LOL you did say non firearm !

Long bow. with the small metal tips,
it will go through a bullet vest or 3 zombis.
Katana or broadsword.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246

But they dont feel pain.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
its simple! a staff! (stick)
good for clubbing,defending,wrestling/manipulating an opponent,spearing(animals,fish,humans)
good as a tool.
a small,heavy stick can be sharpened down (hardwood) enough to use as a knife.
can be used as a splint,or a makeshift stretcher for an injured person,
firewood,shelter,cane/walking stick,lever/pry bar.
the list literally goes on and on!!!
plus the extra bonus is they are everywhere and there free!!!
bow and arrow,sling snare,trap,boobie trap,water depth measure,wind vain,compass,fire maker,
broom/rake......
see what i mean!
ya a bid knife would be good too,but if i had to fight,id much rather be armed with a 6 foot staff,and a small club.
the knife wielding foe has to get pretty close to do harm,be it to a human,or an animal.
try to take down a wild boar with just a knife!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Well if you want a weapon you can have right there in plain sight and the majority of people won't even register it for the deadly weapon it is....buy yourself a good quality Mag-Light. I'd suggest at least 3 cell but 6 cell is a real 'batter up' experience. Errr... nvm.. but it's safe to say it absolutely is a deadly weapon if intended that way by the force used and it's damn near indestructible if it's a good Mag and not a cheap knock off.

It can double as a good hammer.. tent stake driver... fish beater...and any number of other needs for blunt force that one just never thinks about in advance.

Now I will note I had a couple different St Louis cops make direct and hard edged comments about the fact I had my wee little 3 cell as a Safety guy at the Occupy camp..so cops aren't fooled for one second about what it's for and light is a secondary bonus. lol...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The best all around tool weapon to have is a good quality single blade light axe.

Works well as a weapon at close range and also cuts firewood, through locked doors, fells trees and can be used as a hammer to pound stakes.

I like the Gerber or Fisker's brand axe personally and carry one quite a bit when in the woods.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a machete would be good for mid-range work and has uses other than offence/defense , a dagger for close in work again has many uses, and a semiautomatic crossbow for distance would be nice (figure it should hold between 10-20 bolts).

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Katana

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
A napalm Molotov cocktail

Easy to make and hard to put out

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I know that you specifically asked about non-firearms and there are many good suggestions in the replies, but I would consider them all to be secondary weapons. The simple fact is that firearms are the most effective personal weapons (assuming you can hit what you are aiming at). If I didn't have one, I would spend my time and resources getting one or making one.

Firearms are amazingly simple machines and can easily be built with minimal materials and tools. You won't end up with a glock or an MP5, but it will be effective.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Gator
I know that you specifically asked about non-firearms and there are many good suggestions in the replies, but I would consider them all to be secondary weapons. The simple fact is that firearms are the most effective personal weapons (assuming you can hit what you are aiming at). If I didn't have one, I would spend my time and resources getting one or making one.

Firearms are amazingly simple machines and can easily be built with minimal materials and tools. You won't end up with a glock or an MP5, but it will be effective.

ah but can you make gunpowder?, it is actually rather easy but would take a bit of time to make some of the components, like nitrates. one reason i prefer bows for distance overall, and a repeating crossbow even gives you multiple shots, without as much work as a standard crossbow. a recurve or longbow can get good rates of fire as well, but takes more practice to get your speed and accuracy up.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join