It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American vs Canadian Justice: Two recent cases of child abuse

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I recently read about a case of child abuse here in Canada in which a man was sentenced for ruthlessly beating and biting a 2 year old girl. Aside from the disgust and rage I felt at the crime itself, those feelings were further intensified when I learned that the assailant received 18 months in prison. You read that right. In Canada, you can beat a 2 year old half to death and bite them all over their little bodies, and walk away with less than 2 years.

Being the father of a 2 year old girl myself, I am completely appalled.

News Source

Police were called by a neighbour who said she often overheard T.G. yelling and threatening the girl, but he was more intense and aggressive than usual at the time. The woman told police T.G. was heard yelling: “Whose house is this? Who’s the boss? It’s my house! I’m the boss! Are you scared? You should be!” The officers who responded found the girl crying and circular bite marks on both cheeks and bruising under her eyes, across her nose and on her head were noted. The child’s mother then showed an officer other areas of her daughter’s body, including her feet and buttocks, that were marked with bruises, all of which were similar to the circle-shaped bite marks observed on her cheeks. “These bruises were on virtually every area of body.”

Now today, day's later, I was equally disgusted to read about a VERY similar case in Texas, where a woman superglued her 2 year old to a wall and savagely beat her and bit her. Prosecutors there are seeking 45 years.

News Source

A Dallas mother superglued her toddler's hands to the wall, bit her and hit her so hard she suffered bleeding in her brain and slipped into a temporary coma. Dallas County court heard the horrifying testimony Tuesday at the sentencing hearing of Elizabeth Escalona, 23, who pleaded guilty in July to torturing her two-year-old daughter, Jocelyn. "The entire picture was very shocking," testified former child abuse pediatrician Dr. Amy Barton, according to CNN. "I see a lot of children, and this was one of the most shocking cases that I have seen." Doctors found superglue and paint chips from her apartment wall on the girl's hands. The mom had glued the tot's hands to the wall and beat her while she couldn't move. She was rushed to hospital soon after. "I saw Jocelyn laying in the bed. She was facing the wall and ...," Barton said before bursting into tears.

This leads me to the purpose of this thread:

What the hell is wrong with the Canadian Justice system? How can a man viciously beat and bite a 2 year old girl and receive only 18 months in prison because he himself was a victim of abuse as a child, and showed "remorse"? Yet a similar case across the border could net the assailant 45 years?

People like this should be put to sleep. To excuse such vicious actions on an innocent 2 year old for ANY reason is DISGUSTING. It's enough to make you puke. I hear so much about how full prisons are in the U.S, and how the justice system there over does it. To some extent, there might be a case for that in some situations. But these 2 similar cases highlight VERY clearly how screwed up we are in Canada when it comes to prosecuting animals like this.

This is just one of many examples of how screwed up both Canadian law and it's enforcement is.

What are your thoughts? Would like to hear from you regardless of what side of the border you are on. Do you feel the woman in Texas deserves 45 years? More? Less? What about the man in Edmonton?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
For any crime involving a child or rape we should outsource some Amrerican justice from our neighbours to the south.

Humans can be monsters all over the world.

I would like to believe that when his fellow inmates find out his crimes, he will be appropriately dealt with. Even amongst prisoners child abusers are hated

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Excellent post.

To answer your question... there is not justice in Canada.

Victims are killed, injured for life, mutilated, brain damaged, requiring help for the rest of their lives, etc, and violent killers and criminals are free to live their lives after serving the shortest of sentences.

Canada is going down the sh***er more and more each day.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

I like how you dislike abuse yet advocate euthanasia.

I think you have some issues.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx

I like how you dislike abuse yet advocate euthanasia.

I think you have some issues.

I might be a little hot under the collar right now and not thinking clearly, but surely you don't think the assailant in Edmonton received a just sentence? You could always offer your opinion on the subject matter instead of trolling.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Here in Colorado they hunt them in packs in some prisons and since in others they walk openly due to the fact there are entire units full of Offenders child to old lady and they pile the S#### so deep they openly discuss crimes.
They should be sent to a desert island and nuked every 5 years during which they eat each other to live

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I'm not trolling and you damn well know it.

Two years is light.

What I read in this thread is no better than the child abusers themselves. There are some sick people here.
edit on 10/9/2012 by rtyfx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Two years is light.

What I read in this thread is no better than the child abusers themselves. There are some sick people here.

I'm curious... Do you have children? How liberal would you be about it if someone did that to your 2 year old girl? 2 years is more than light. It's a disgrace to justice.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Two years is light.

Excuse me? That's a troll if I ever heard

You really need to clarify your position here sir.
edit on 9-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Double post in my haste to call out the troll

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'm a ma'am, retired law enforcement.

Vile behavior towards the offenders does not negate what happens to these kids.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I agree. I'm not defending anyone who abuses children, but I agree with you that the hypocrisy is blatant and to me, intolerable.

Yes, I do have children. Stories about abused children have a very negative effect on my mentality. Still, I do not advocate death or torture against any person, regardless of their crimes.

It's also sad how nowadays anyone who disagrees with someone's vehement rage is a "troll."

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I wrote quite a strong post, but have decided not to post it. Perhaps I have let anger blind me on this topic.

Unless you have experienced a similar tragedy, you have no credibility on the matter to object with my opinion.

Peace

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Abusers are usually victims of abuse themselves. These people are are essentially containers of enormous repressed rage.

In their adult years they take it out on their own children and that is how the cycle continues.

Yes, punish the abuser, but understand WHY he abused in the first place. He was once that child himself.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

I agree. I'm not defending anyone who abuses children, but I agree with you that the hypocrisy is blatant and to me, intolerable.

Yes, I do have children. Stories about abused children have a very negative effect on my mentality. Still, I do not advocate death or torture against any person, regardless of their crimes.

It's also sad how nowadays anyone who disagrees with someone's vehement rage is a "troll."

Vehement rage? I already admitted I wasn't thinking clearly. Implying I have "problems" and that I am on par with the abusers discussed in the linked articles is not only trolling, it's character defamation. I'm appalled that anyone could shoot the messenger like this when I am trying to have a serious discussion about what are demonstrable flaws in the Canadian justice system.

For clarity's sake, when did I advocate torture? I didn't. So while I'm sorry the subject matter effects you negatively (it obviously has effected ME negatively), that doesn't give you or the other poster license to insult me for raising a serious issue and asking for opinions or input (which neither of you have really done. You've attacked me and the other posters, instead. That is, for the record, trolling).

And to you, rtyfx: There is a difference between capital punishment and euthanasia. I never said I supported euthanasia (it's a completely different topic altogether). What I did say was that animals like this (and make no mistake about it, anyone that could commit such atrocities against a child is an animal) should be put to sleep (i.e death penalty).

Courts do it all the time in the U.S. I don't really care if you agree with the death penalty or not. The fact I believe the case in Edmonton is a clear cut example of what is wrong with the Canadian justice system does not even come close to indicating I have "issues".

Discuss the subject or create your own thread.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

The only way to stop the cycle of abuse is for the abused child not to have children him/herself.

I was an abused child. I have no children. It stopped with me.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Abusers are usually victims of abuse themselves. These people are are essentially containers of enormous repressed rage.

In their adult years they take it out on their own children and that is how the cycle continues.

Yes, punish the abuser, but understand WHY he abused in the first place. He was once that child himself.

Seriously?

Guess what.... My mother was savagely beaten almost every day of her life growing up. Beaten with garden hoses, brooms, you name it. Subjected to humiliation, starvation, psychological abuse, verbal abuse, kicked down flights of stairs at the age of 6, etc etc. I'm sure she hasn't even told me half of it.

She never laid a finger on me in an abusive way when I was growing up, and is the most loving and gentle person I have ever met (and my example in how I treat my own daughter). You know why? Because she refused to let her abuse be an excuse to abuse me, and broke the cycle of abuse that plagued her family.

Don't even give me that crap. Being abused does not excuse abuse. PERIOD.

ETA:

She is now a social worker and has worked both in women's shelters for the abused, and sexual assault counseling. If that isn't proof people can choose to end the cycle I don't know what is.
edit on 9-10-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

I don't care about your opinion, but you continue to justify your point to yourself.

You are the one that assumed we were referring to the worst. Did you stop and think we wanted stiffer prison term? Since he got such a minimal sentence, I do hope he time in jail is made worse by his fellow inmates. You are the one who spun this thread of topic with your assumptions.

You provoked heated responses, I believe that is close to the definition of a troll.

I am done.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Some of you are blind with hate and anger. All you have to throw at me is a label, troll.

What would you label yourselves?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
My wife and I were just talking about this the other day and as a Canadian I am ashamed we dont do a better job at keeping our children better protected. I am also a parent and cannot imagine how this person only got 18 months, I honestly would support the death penalty for cases like this.

The sad part is that there is alot of cases just like that and our leaders seem like a bunch of morons unable to do the right thing. I also dont care how bad sombody had it or how they were abused, its no excuse to to terrible things to anybody period!
edit on 9-10-2012 by Slickinfinity because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join