Originally posted by waltdisney
Keep in mind this came out in 1981
1. World Trade Center is blown up - 9/11
2. Houses are flooded - Hurricane Katrina
3. Tanks - war
4. Nuclear plants - pollution
5. Protesters - Occupy or possibly a future protest
6. UFO's coming out of the sky - maybe in our future
7. Duality checkered table cloth - elite symbolism
8. Earth split in half?? - Devil looks to have the larger part of Earth
What do you think? The album is titled: In our Lifetime?
edit on 9-10-2012 by waltdisney because: (no reason given)
Interesting album cover, but easily related to events current at the time, or to ideas of the artist, or Gaye. Will look point by point:
1. The Statue of Liberty is what I see in pieces in that picture. So, I would speculate that he was referring to some loss of liberty, or a fall of
the nation, or something like that. I don't really know enough about the guy to know what his political ideas might be.
2. it's too big a stretch to call flooded houses a harbinger of Katrina. There have been way too many floods, from hurricanes and from other causes,
to make such a leap. heck, i know times when I was a child in Tennessee that relatives had to evacuate because their homes flooded. Had to do so
myself back in '93.
3. Tanks = war? Well, sure, but there have been a lot of wars, and back in '81, there was a lot of speculation about the possibilities of WWIII,
between mainly us and the USSR. Not much of a prediction there.
4. Nuclear towers? Well, we have to remember the Three Mile Island incident, from 1979, that made a LOT of people seriously, and rightly, worry about
the dangers of nuclear power.
5. Protestors - been around a long time in this country, such as the Civil Rights movement, Vietnam protests, and many others. I don't see any valid
reason to assume that protestors = OWS, or any other future protest. it's a pretty safe bet that, in a nation that has such freedoms, there will be
proetsts about something in the future.
6. UFOs - Been a popular topic for a long time, and certainly no more prophetic than any other speculation on that subject.
7. The tablecloth - There are way too many ways to take that. Certainly, it was meant as some statement or other, but not predictive. More of a
stated opinion than anything, i would think.
8. The split in the earth - indicative of a possible big quake in California would be my guess, since people have speculated about that as long as I
It is a very interesting picture, though, and I look forward to reading other responses. Hoping for some comments on Gaye's views that might explain
some of the symbolism.